Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while since I've been riding regularly -- 20 years. Looking for a luxury tourer that my wife and I can do some traveling around now that the kids are grown. It is down to the Vision Tour Premium and the Gold Wing. Suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, I have spent some time playing around with my sons Yamaha R6 over the past couple years and that just confirmed that at age 52, I don't need to be leaning on the gas tank of the new bike.

Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
Well, first, welcome to the forum from the Keystone state.

Now, you want a suggestion... HUMMM Let's see, Goldwing Owners forum... HUMMMM.. I'm going to go out on a limb and say......... Goldwing. LOL....

The two bikes you are comparing are vastly different even thought they are both touring machines.

The engines are vastly different.
The handling chararactics are vastly different.
The designs are vastly different.

Those differences are what makes the difference between GW and Victory owners. Pick the one that suits you best and enjoy your choice. Ride safe..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. I'm hoping all current owners of GoldWings talk me into the GoldWing. I really like the look of the Wing and I understand that the handling is better. For the most part I'm already sold. The only negative I've heard is the pegs instead of boards. I've never ridden with boards and since I'm 5'10" I don't think I'd have a problem with pegs anyways. I put the same message on the Victory owners forum. Really just trying to see if somebody familiar with both bikes changes my mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Great bikes both but your "style" might be the deciding factor. The Victory goes well with the twin cylinder crowd and leather. It has the latest styling to go with that. All that being said, The WING is pretty much a 10 year old design that has had it's amenities change with the times. There is no doubt the engine is bulletproof and smooth. You can "dress" your wing out in many different ways since everyone makes accessories for it. Your better-half will like it for it's sheer comfort. The dealer network is unsurpassed which is a good thing if something did come up while on the road. Yea, I choose the "Wing".:D

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Had my eye on a Victory Vision for a year. Test drove one and loved it. Why do I have a Goldwing ? Because " she " liked it. Did " she " ever sit on a Victory ? No. Did " she sit on a Goldwing ? Yes. I liked the Victory riding posture but I love the standard amenities that come with a Wing and it's track record and support is second to none.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I came from a harley to a Goldwing because the person who wears the pants decided it was the bike for us. So after listning to my wife i bought the wing and we are riding together again. The harley was to harsh on her back and we had stopped riding on long trips for the last 5 years.
I did look at a Victory cruiser and did consider it, but not sounding narsty it reminded me of a early model Pontiac on 2 wheels.
I could not be happier than i am at the moment with the Goldwing, it does everything that a true tourer should do.
I guess the best way would be if possible to test ride both bikes for a day each with a passenger and way the best points of each bike and then make a decision

That decision will no doubt be the Goldwing :D
lots of luck, i'm sure we will see you in this forum

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
This is a bit apples and oranges. While both are touring bikes, they go about the purpose in completely different ways. A more appropriate toss of the coin would be the Vision Tour vs. the Harley Ultra since they are both air cooled v-twins (yes I know the Vic has an oil ooler as well). The Wing is vastly more sophisticated and has an unsurpassed power and performance advantage over any other touring bike out there (be cool BMW LT fans). There are still a few things I'd like 'Big Red' to do to the GL, but I know how slow the wheels of justice turn at Honda R&D and Engineering depts. The Vision is a fantastic motorcycle, but it isn't in the same league as a Goldwing.

·
Registered
793 Posts
There is so much more out there to personalize the wing, there is a vast amount of suppliers worldwide that can handle any repair needs that should arise and you meet the nicest people on a Honda!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had the same dilemma a month ago. I wanted to buy and American bike. So, my wife and I test drove the Victory. Loved it. I kept hesitating because of the v-twin... So, we finally made the decision on the Goldwing. One reason, service. There are so few service departments for the Victory that I couldn't see myself trailering it back and forth nearly 80 miles.

When we bought the '10 Wing, we got the 5 years service and warranty. The ride is outstanding. In the first month, I have put nearly 5000 miles on it. My wife loves this bike and wants to ride all the time. I was hesitant to buy it, because I am 46 and not ready to be the over 50 rider. However, I won't be without a wing. The bike is so steady and smooth handling, I am selling my V-Star when I get home. If I ever go home... I have been on a bike trip for nearly a month....

·
Registered
105 Posts

I was hesitant to buy it, because I am 46 and not ready to be the over 50 rider. ....
My friend,
I'm 43 and this is the best bike I ever threw my leg over. Even though I only had my 2010 for one week, I will never go back to sports bike or a cruiser again. I love my wing, it does nearly everything my Yamaha R1 does but with comfort. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
KCBlessing,

In April I was looking at Victories. I test rode the Vision and liked it. But it didn't seem to offer much more than the Kawasaki Voyager that I had. After I found out that I could touch the ground on the Wing it was all over. The Wing in my opinion just offers so much more. I love it. My wife would do 600 - 650 miles on our Kawasaki Nomad and then it was time to find a room. With the Wing we are stopping between 700 - 800 miles and she can't believe that her ass isn't sore. To quote her "we finally found a bike that fits my ass" We took a 9 day (all we had) trip out West were in 14 states and put 4559 miles on the Wing. She tells everyone it was her best trip ever and is ready to go again.

As you know the Wing handles great. Well, I can't think of anything that the Wing isn't good at. It took me about a week to get used to the lack of exhaust noise. My Nomad has quiet exhaust but the Wing is so much quieter. In fact we didn't need to buy the headsets for the intercom because we can hear good enough without the wires to the bike.

Elk Hunter

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow - are you sold yet? After almost 30 years of harleys and the floor boards I
considered a Vision for over a year. The ergonomics fit me and the wife like a glove,
just couldn't pull the trigger, I was underwellmed with the power and storage in those massive looking bags. Out of frustration more than anything else I went to mty local honda dealer and test rode a wing. That was it - as the salesman said it's not a motorcycle it's a GOLDWING. As for the seating postion you will adjust to it very quickly.

Good luck. and oh yeah enjoy your wing lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
redwing53,

I ordered floorboards because I was used to them so I thought I wanted them on the Wing. When they arrived I took them to the garage so I could hurry and try them. They looked so nice and also came with the heal/toe shifter that I was used to using on the Nomad. Wellllllll, I held one up to see what it was going to look like and saw that they were not going to work for me. My short legs need that space to touch the ground. If I had to step out to the sides to clear the boards I wasn't going to have enough leg, so I sent them back. <sigh>

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Redwing53 I'm surprised that the power of the Vision underwhelmed you after riding Harleys for so long. That 106 will run circles around any HD dresser other than perhaps the CVO and then it would be very close. But then they are still no match for the Wing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome aboard. My experince with motorcycles is limited. All hondas Shadow Aero750.VTX1300, and the 08 Wing I bought new. The Wing is amazing! The only add on I have bought so far was the Kury ergo II highway pegs. For me a must. The Wing allows you to travel long distances, you have to be able to stretch. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just want to say thanks to everyone for all your responses. It is definitely helpful to hear about your experiences.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Budoka,

I guess I forgot to mention that my HD RG has a 95" kit, cams and head work. It runs
at 96 ft pounds of torque and 90 HP. Sorry, not pushing Harleys here lol

·
Registered
154 Posts
KC,
I looked at the Vision 1st. Loved the saddlebags and the way the pipes fit into them. Did not like the look of the fairing - too wide in my opinion. Price was a bit less than a new Wing too but that wasn't the clincher.
I ended up with a 2010 base model Wing. I read reviews on the Vision and almost every article talked about lack of power and the slight vibs at speed. The wing is super smooth and scoots right along. Plus with the Wing I know I can find a dealer if something comes up.
I love this Wing!! Fast for it's size. Handles well. AND tons of aftermarket parts to make it unique!
Also, I was biased. I've had Hondas in the past - CB750K, 750SS, VFR's and NONE gave me one bit of problems.
Pretty easy decision in the end. GL1800's rule! You can't go wrong if you choose the Wing.
Rob

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm no expert but I agree with Rob's assessment. But if you want something perkier still than a Goldwing, you might look into the sport/touring bikes like the ST1300. From what I read, they are pretty comfortable for long rides yet plenty sporty and fast.

There is a subforum on the board here for the ST1300, along with a dedicated board for that bike.

Ken

1 - 20 of 33 Posts