Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard about a no dealer service after 10 years from Honda dealers. Is this a universal Honda truth? If not 50% or what? What about Honda OEM parts?

I don't see myself checking valve clearances or changing the clutch etc... in this lifetime :- >

For that level work I have always depended on my dealer, I don't want to risk my valve clearances, on some guy I just met.

Any certifications I should be asking about as well as continued training ?

Thanks Dan

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I don't think that is the case at most dealers. Call your local dealer and ask them. Around here there are several independent Gold Wing shops that are better than the dealers. Most dealers deal very little in Gold Wings and don't know as much as an independent shop that works on them all the time.
Where are you located? Someone in your area might be able to give you some info on a shop in your area.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm outside of Rockford Il. but too far for Chicago suburbs to have maintenance done.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Hear say is just that. If you really want to know, the best thing is to call your dealer. He's the only one that answer your question.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
one dealer near me had the ten year rule the other dealer does not

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Actually, there is at least one dealer in our area (not us btw) that does have that posted on their service dept. wall. It's not that they WON'T service a 10 year or older bike, but they use it to discourage guys with 'basket cases' from dropping their problems on the shop. Kind of a liability/reliability thing. It does NOT apply to Goldwings of any vintage, unless they're a total mess. A simple visual once over is all they require to get the bike into or away from the shop. With labour rates at $125/hr why would you turn away that kind of $$ opportunity if the job isn't a complete bust?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I just ran into this issue in NC a couple of weeks ago.Ran a ton of twisties ,the last of which was Deal's Gap and then stopped for fuel in Bryson City.Just happened to take a look at my back tire and was surprised to see a definite lack of rubber.It was at least 50 to 60 % when I left home.Thought I would easily get another 3k miles out of it.Anyway I inquired about Honda shops in the area in the gas station.I contacted a large Honda Dealer in Waynseboro and was told by some snot nosed kid that they wouldn't touch anything over 10 years old.I proceeded to explain to him that the last 1500 was built for the 2000 model year(with-in their 10 year limit)and were basically the same from 1988 to 2000.I also explained that my 89 was not rusted,rotten or all seized up and was in fact in pretty good shape.He said it didn't matter,they wouldn't touch it anyway to which I said that there wasn't probably anyone there that I would trust to do it anyway.He did say that they would be happy to sell me and install tires on my rims if I brought them to him.Do you suppose he thought I would ever darken his doorstep after the conversation we already had.I ended up driving about 1/2 hour to 45 min. right past his doorstep to MR Cycles in Asheville,NC.They had no issue with 10 year old Wings and had me out the door with 2 new E3,s before 12:30(they didn't open until 9:00 and they were busy).They couldn't do enough for us.Would definitely recommend them.

P.S. Was glad to see the end of the Pilot GT's and get back to the E3's.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Agree

I agree w badger. No repair, no customer.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
If you have money, don't worry, they'll take it...

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you have money, don't worry, they'll take it...
Not the place I called.I was told they wouldn't do it for a regular customer.I wonder how they ever got any regular customers.Crotch rockets and dirt bikes?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I grew up in a shop. Saw my Dad take a mechanic outside after he said he wouldnt work on a bike, and showed the Yamaha on the sign. Then he said if it has two wheels on it you will work on it. If not, pack your tools and get a job in a Cushman shop. He ran the shop on customer service.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I'm outside of Rockford Il. but too far for Chicago suburbs to have maintenance done.
I have a dealer right here in town, but I've gone to a dealer who is over 40+ miles away because of thier service reputation. Sometimes the ride is worth it. Consider it a day trip and find a good dealer who will service your pride and joy...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Some Dealers have gotten stuck on their high horse over the past couple of "good" years...by pass those dealers..they typically have in-experience workers.....the dealer next to me in WI...had no problem working on my 1981 Honda GW Interstate 1100.....they did state each time I would bring in the bike...that some parts are not readily available and that I might have to wait a week or two...but they were always willing to work on the bike....

FYI ... Cedar Creek Motor sports in Cedarburg WI...

Like others have said...move onto a another dealer...

Safe Ride...

·
Registered
13 Posts
my local dealer said they will work on bikes that are older than 10 yrs but they dont like to. when my 1200 over heated last week on the way to sturgis i called the honda dealer in sioux falls sd and they said they dont work on bikes over 10 yrs old. i think the dealers set there own rules on that.

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
I can honestly say that the local Honda dealer in my area will work on Wings as old as 1975, however they will not work on bikes that have been trashed or abused. I have had no problem with getting parts for my 93 either, earlier Wings are not as lucky and they will sometimes contact a salvage yard for parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts