Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had motorcycles off and on since I was 16, rode an ‘83 midnight virago 920 out to sturgis In ‘91 when I was 18. Bought a low mile 82 V45 magna for a commuter bike when I went back to school about 10 years ago. Happened upon this absolutely pristine ‘87 GL1200I put up for auction at an estate sale. I missed the in person inspection window so I put the pics up on the big screen and meticulously went over them. This bike has 35,500 miles on it, one owner, new tires, gel battery. This thing was very well taken care, a real survivor! I actually feel bad for how much I paid for it, I looked up book price and the winning bid was less than the poor condition price. I believe it sat for a couple of years, but I’ve replaced all the petroleum fluids including brake and clutch fluids, my timing belts came in yesterday. I opened the trunk and there was a service manual and a new set of NGK plugs, the saddle bags still have the Goldwing duffel bags. The only issues I see are the idle speed changes from ride to ride. One day it’ll be 800 when warm, the next day it’ll be 1100. It has a stumble at a low rpm roll on once in a while too. I’m looking into carb kits now, but I want to run a couple of tanks through her before doing a deep dive! I’m also going to replace the wheel bearings here shortly.
The end game has always been an ultra classic (I know, I know this is a wing page, that blasphemous) however my wife has a bad back and I don’t want to drop that much coin on something she may not be able to ride. Any other advice for me mechanically?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your find. I suggest using some SeaFoam gas treatment. I would start with about 1/4 can when you fill the tank next time. It works great at cleaning things out. You did not mention checking to see how old the tires are and with precious cargo on the bike that should be a priority.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, already have the sea foam in the tank and the tires are brand new along with the agm battery. Plan on running 3-4 tanks with the sea foam and then start adding marvel mystery oil to keep the top end lubed! Thanks for the reply

·
Super Moderator
11,476 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Great looking classic Wing.

·
Premium Member
10,891 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under.
I have a few things for you to check.

1/ If it still has the three wires from the stator with the plug still in place. Cut it out and hard wire it. Solder it then shrink wrap it.
2/ If the dog bone 30 amp fuse is still there. Replace it with a bayonet 30 amp car fuse.
3/ Follow the stator wire up to the plug on the left hand side of the false fuel tank. check for heat damage to this plug. If there is.......................hard wire, solder, shrink wrap them.
4/ Run an extra ground wire from the battery ground to the closest bolt to the starter motor.

I have alway's had a big difference in the idle speed, Some of it seems to be how you were just ridding it. High speed and high RPM's = higher idle. Colder engine and low RPM's = low idle.

Good luck with your 1200.

·
Super Moderator
9,668 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from NE Pa. Great looking Wing. Looks like prior posters covered a lot of the items that require attention. Ride safe and enjoy the forum.

Reactions: NREMTP and Luv2fish

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice, the first tank of sea foam is helping a lot already! Did a 100 mile put put run on the backroads and in town with a couple of short highway speed bursts. Roll on stumble has disappeared!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Nice looking bike. Others have given good advice. Especially Eric (the 1200 guru). Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I‘ve seen a few cylinder head gaskets leak up in this cold climate/low mile flat 4’s. Around 50,000 miles I tell guys to start watching and smelling for coolant. Even had them leak on my 1500. Only in cold storage/winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts