Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought some of you folks might be interested in this. 1st off though let me state categorically - This was not my idea!. All the credit for this goes to the OP and the other contributors in this thread in the 'other forum'.

I saw this thread quite a while ago and just recently got the LEDs and resistors, and got up the nerve to give it a try. Here's the result:

Signal off:

Signal on:

I wanted to share this safety feature with you folks on this (my favorite!) forum as I believe that we should all do what we can to maximize our visibility.

I don't want to repeat the instructions here, everything you need is in the link. All I will say is that this really isn't a difficult project as long as you go slow and make very careful measurements.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
I'll send you my mirrors and let you do it!

:D

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
What a thread, Kerry. I got off on tangent links reading about diodes, rectifiers, resistors, etc. " Fire Up " really made this do-able when he eliminated the need to remove the mirror from the backing plate. I think " Bowtie " scared off some with the oven. Your suggestion of blackening the sides of the LED's makes good sense. I would help mitigate the halo or penumbra effect.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll send you my mirrors and let you do it!

:D
so will i, do you offer free return shipping :D
Sure, but my prices will make Muth's seem like pocket change :D.

Seriously though - it's really not an overly difficult task. If I can do it, anyone can.

What a thread, Kerry. I got off on tangent links reading about diodes, rectifiers, resistors, etc. " Fire Up " really made this do-able when he eliminated the need to remove the mirror from the backing plate. I think " Bowtie " scared off some with the oven. Your suggestion of blackening the sides of the LED's makes good sense. I would help mitigate the halo or penumbra effect.
I know what you mean - I had to go read up myself on how LED's actually work. Kind of interesting, but electronics was never really my bag.

I hope someone does try this with the sides blacked out. If I find out it does help I might pull mine out and try it, but like another poster in that forum I have mine burried under a big glob of hot glue, so I don't think it will be a small task.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Looks really good Kerry! Roughly how long did you spend at it? Iread what the O/P did, just curious about your personal work. That way I know how much of a multiplier factor I need for me:eek::p

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd say it took me around 4 hours up to the point of actually putting them back in the bike. That included making a small lexan template that I could use both to mark the location of the holes, and to hold the LED's while I did all the soldering. When I went to the bike to test them, I found that I had still made a mistake and had to remove and reconnect one of the connectors I was using, so I probably lost another hour there. Definitely it could be done in one day, or one afternoon probably.

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
Great job. They look like factory..

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I know what you mean - I had to go read up myself on how LED's actually work. Kind of interesting, but electronics was never really my bag.

I hope someone does try this with the sides blacked out. If I find out it does help I might pull mine out and try it, but like another poster in that forum I have mine burried under a big glob of hot glue, so I don't think it will be a small task.
Too late for me. I installed these late last year, and though they are not up to " my " expectations, they will have to do in the mean time.

Attachments

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'd say it took me around 4 hours up to the point of actually putting them back in the bike. That included making a small lexan template that I could use both to mark the location of the holes, and to hold the LED's while I did all the soldering. When I went to the bike to test them, I found that I had still made a mistake and had to remove and reconnect one of the connectors I was using, so I probably lost another hour there. Definitely it could be done in one day, or one afternoon probably.
So the LED's show right through the mirror coating or did I miss something?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. When they're off, there's no sign of them but when they're lit, they shine right through.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes. When they're off, there's no sign of them but when they're lit, they shine right through.
Very nice!Thanks for the reply.
Anyone tried it on a 1500?Just wondering if there is a space between the backing plate and glass like the 1800.Don't think it's a deal breaker,but it would be definitely easier with a space.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well done they look fantastic. I need some.
So where did you buy the led's ?
Do they all have seperate resistors ?
and how did you fix them to the mirror surface ?

Again well done Regards Scoozy

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well done they look fantastic. I need some.
So where did you buy the led's ?
Do they all have seperate resistors ?
and how did you fix them to the mirror surface ?

Again well done Regards Scoozy
www.superbrightleds.com

You could use separate resistors for each LED, but I used banks of 3 and 4 LEDS in series per resistor. The LEDs are not really attached to the glass - they just fit tightly into the holes.

Really everything you need is in this link.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well passenger drink holder, accessory power socket, iso grips, carpet floor mats, audio pouch installed. Just waiting on the Baker Wings and Utopia back rest to get here. Then when my wife least expects it I will be ordering the fog lights and spoiler brake light. How do you post pictures on here? Every time I try to post my avatar it's upside down.

·
Administrator
29,024 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Bill, you're not going to tell him to rotate the phone 180 degrees, are you?

·
Administrator
29,024 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
On mine I drilled the holes then used a Dremel with a small diamond bit to remove the reflective coating inside the holes for maximum visibility. You can see the places with the lights off but it still looks good.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I did that to my GL1800 a while back, looks pretty good. When I had the mirror off and installing the LED's I thought, what a great place for a voltmeter, so yesterday, I ordered in a couple of mini-voltmeters just to set how they will work, as soon as I get them done I'll post pictures.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.