Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I took a road, that according to the Navi, came out at a major highway. Well, we rode along a nice blacktop country road for several miles way out in the country when all of a sudden it came to gravel and there was a ford to cross. The sign said not to cross when the water was high, but we didn't think much of it because it seemed to only be about a foot deep. It was gravel though, but I didn't think to get off and look the situation over - I just started in and attempted to ford the creek. Yike, no sooner was I into it - going very slow - when it became apparent that there was a lot of river stone - gravel - which was sucking me along and taking me downstream and it also caused me to come to a stop - which took the motorcycle over. I was trying to hold it up but to no avail and my wife just stepped off the back into the creek as the motorcycle went over on it's right side. I had her get on the seat grip with me and I backed it up and had her go around and put the kickstand down. I then put it on the kickstand and there we were - looking at our beautiful motorcycle setting there in the middle of the creek; that was better than just having looked at it laying in the creek just moments before with the water gurgling around the tailpipe!

I assessed the situation an decided to get back on an continue across. I went slow and plowed though the gravel as I walked it up and out of the creek.

We poured the water out of our shoes and continued on our way. The exciting thing was continuing up the hill as the road continued to go away to what looked like nothing at all.... and immediately come to the blacktop again.

What an exciting adventure; the only thing lacking was a couple of barking nipping dogs!

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Bivouac on the bike ? I have often wondered if the road less traveled is not less traveled for a reason. "Climb every mountain,
Ford every stream,
Follow every rainbow,
'Till you find your dream.... " These directions are not to be taken literally.

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
And you didn't have a paddle either! :eek:

·
Premium Member
11,001 Posts
All is well that ends well and you will never know if you never go. If nothing else it make a good story to tell. I do get into the same type situation because I like the back roads. Eric

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Bivouac on the bike ? I have often wondered if the road less traveled is not less traveled for a reason. "Climb every mountain,
Ford every stream,
Follow every rainbow,
'Till you find your dream.... " These directions are not to be taken literally.
LMAO.........:):):):).

I passed this over as it seemed like a non story. "Lakecharles in the creek?" Seemed like a given to me.

Glad you are all ok? and hope the bike is too. Last week, I dumped all my rain gear in the motel and then rode 8 hours in the rain so I get the concept to go for it. (instructions not necessary to be followed either).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No damage to the motorcycle at all - other than a little muddy. I have it all cleaned up now. It was strange to hear the motor running and the exhaust gurgling though!

I wish I had a camera with my to take a pic... because I would have liked to have a reminder of a time when I didn't go ballistic over something.

It happened so fast that I had to deal with getting it out and by the time I got it out I had calmed down and was so grateful to have gotten it our!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
No damage to the motorcycle at all - other than a little muddy. I have it all cleaned up now. It was strange to hear the motor running and the exhaust gurgling though!

I wish I had a camera with my to take a pic... because I would have liked to have a reminder of a time when I didn't go ballistic over something.

It happened so fast that I had to deal with getting it out and by the time I got it out I had calmed down and was so grateful to have gotten it our!

Or you could have said:
This is the creek that the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That would never of happened to me. My wife would have slapped me silly long before I got close to that creek :eek:

You have a good woman my friend.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Still running on its side in the creek?I thought these bikes had a switch that shuts off the motor if/when the bike leans too far over??

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still running on its side in the creek?I thought these bikes had a switch that shuts off the motor if/when the bike leans too far over??
Yes, that happened... when I let the clutch out. With the clutch in it continued to run. I have had it down before when practicing turns and it shuts itself off if the clutch is not engaged.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree; I have had it over on it's side before and it did shut down... so that must be correct. I don't think it was over to that point.... I believe the crash bar was down on the gravel to the point it stabilized. I just remember seeing the bubbling exhaust and hearing the sound - and thinking - "wow!" I can't answer your question, all I know is it was in the water, over on it's side, running, and bubbling... and both me and my wife were standing there watching it.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Well that certainly beat having to ride through a Cattle drive in Montana a couple years ago.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Well, sounds as though you have your Wing 'baptised'. Should be all good from here on in:D

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Glad you and the wife got through safely. These wings are tougher than we think..

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yeah I am curious as to what he meant too!
I know for a FACT the GL1800 has a kill switch that will kill the engine when it senses it laid over. And on top of that, the only way to restart it is to turn the key all the way to the off position and back on.
Don't ask me how I know this!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts