Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at places to see in the USA and the hwy to get there. And for you guys you would know that even numbers go East-West and odds go North-South. You probably are so use to this that you don't see it as significant but it makes it very easy. I have only just found this out and I love the idea of that system. So you would know by the number if you are travelling in the right direction or not by the number. Remember if you are planing a trip here that our hwy numbers don't give any indication of what direction you are going. We have to look up to where the sun is to get our direction. Overcast days you will have to take pot luck. Eric

·
Super Moderator
28,254 Posts
Eric, Don't get to excited about the numbers thing. That only holds true to our interstate system (main highways). The roads in the individual states don't really follow that system. Just for your info.

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
For the most part the numbering scheme holds true. Most major and main highways/roads follow that pattern, but secondary roads are not always the same. A good GPS or road atlas is a always a good thing to carry on the bike...

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will keep that in mind, but I like the idea. It was like finding a big discovery. Someone has thought about it.

·
Premium Member
23,734 Posts
When I'm in Arizona my internal compass gets screwed up. I was in Sedona and had a choice between a left or a right turn. It was late afternoon and the sun was below the hill peaks. My intention was to go south back to Phoenix. I looked to my left and looked to my right and decided that left " felt " south to me. Forty miles later I saw a sign that read " Flagstaff ". Didn't get home until after dark.

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
That's because it wasn't your "military" left.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The original interstate numbering system went even further: Three digit numbers indicated whether the highway bypassed a population center (it would have an even number preceeding the primary number) or joined two interstes (odd number).

As I said, originally. Since the interstate system was designed as a component of the defense department (you could land plans on it every so many miles) they never predicted the number of highways that would eventually be built.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts