Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like commuting to work on my Wing but the construction on I-93 from Boston is so bad I almost don't want to take the bike anymore. I'm riding along on Friday night, then all of a sudden, the road diminishes from 4 to 2 lanes with those New Jersey barriers on both sides. To make matters worse, the left lane is not drivable by bike (as far as I'm concerned) too many grade variations. The lane I chose also got into the different grades with no warning; all of a sudden, the bike drops down to another level (long ways-the lane split in half). They did have white lines indicating that but by the time I figured it out I was already there.

It made me not want to take the bike after that because it wasn't just the road variation. It was all of the smoke and dust and debris, like pebbles, rocks, etc.

I might just try it again but they should (I hope) take into account the MC riding public while construction is taking place. When I made it through all of that I said never again, but I'm already thinking about tackling it on Monday (weather permitting). Gas prices being what they are -we've already beaten that one to death. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
It's sad, but I don't think DOT thinks about m/c's when they are doing anything. Of course if everyone rode one there would be less maint needed on the roads...LOL Because of the road conditions here in Pa, I usually don't take the bike out much before April. The potholes will take your front end off and the junk on the road will make you slide all over. Take the cage for a couple of days or find a different route if possible.

Above all, ride safe..

Reactions: GetAway

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
The DOT here in Washington thinks about us. They put up signs that state "Motorcycles Use Extreme Caution" just about the time you hit the torn up road surface. :(

Reactions: GetAway

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
On pot holes

I always wondered what would happen if I went into a deep pot hole on the highway.

I hit one deep pot hole on the highway last Friday and the bike; to my amazement, went right through it with just a slight hic-up. This road machine is quite amazing. :confused:

Thnx Two Wheel Thing; I think I will take the cage for a day or two and see how things go over there.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
We do see a sign for grooved or uneven pavement with a wobbly looking motorcycle on it at times. I don't know how many times I've had my pucker factor bouncing off the limiter thanks to a complete non-existance of warning signs for contruction zones or hazards.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was riding though downtown Indy yesterday and went to pull into the right hand lane which the car in front of me was doing as well, and I notice him jerk back into the middle lane and suddenly knew why... he was scattering white cones all over creation - and there I was dodging them. I was pretty proud of myself as I went through the first two and dodged two more - while they were all bouncing along. No damage done - but what morons - putting white cones on top of white stripes. I had never seen that before. It was in front of the new JD Something or other... that new hotel just north of Victory Field.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Other than crappy city street, most of the road here in OreGun are really good. Great bike riding roads. Where there's construction they have large diamond flags all over the place and also have human flaggers. The back roads ve have arrows on the left if a curve is to the right and is a sharp curve and the same for a left curve. ==>> is what you see and a whole mess of diamond signs that show you speed or curves or road to the right (or left). Washington is pretty good too, at least in southern Washington.

Some of the fastest and best traffic free roads are in Eastern Washington. The farmers there make sure the roads are in great shape, it seems they have some political pull out there.

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
The roads are great in the farming areas, but one needs to be on the watch for gravel from driveways.

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
The roads are great in the farming areas, but one needs to be on the watch for gravel from driveways.
But with so little traffic you have a good chance of being able to ride more in the center of the road away from the gravel. The one thing that I REALLY watch out for is the cow :poop:!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Bad MA road construction (and MA road hazards in general) have been around for the 40 years I've been driving there. I thought everybody just knew that MA bridge expansion joints only meet at the same height by coincidence, or that they don't fix potholes they just move them around so you can't memorize them. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
But with so little traffic you have a good chance of being able to ride more in the center of the road away from the gravel. The one thing that I REALLY watch out for is the cow :poop:!!
Very true!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts