Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding a few Sundays ago with my wife. The ride started out great. Dana Point, Laguna Beach... really nice. But then the wind kicked up. We came up the 133 (Laguna Canyon) and when we emerged to the 405 the wind was at 50+ mph crosswise. Trees bending sideways and big rigs not holding their lanes.
I just gripped tight and suffered through it. My wife has not gotten back on the bike. She is terrified of getting back in the wind.
Do any of you old timers (No Offense) have wind strategies? Do you pull over? Do you grip it and rip it? What do you Iron Butts do when you encounter high wind?
Thanks for any thoughts you might share.

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
If it's possible, I will pull off until the wind dies down. If not, I hold tight and pray!

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
50 + mph crosswinds would scare the hair off a bear on a motorcycle.

In windy conditions I lean a little into the wind & stay very alert (DO NOT GET TENSE & PUT THE DEATH GRIP ON), as far as the conditions you were in.....YIKES! If I knew they were coming I wouldn't ride. If I were caught up in it, I guess I would think about laying low until it blew over. But I never encountered 50 mph crosswinds before & never had to lay low.

Mark

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
1. Watch the weather reports before your ride.
2. Upping the preload would at best transfer ounces to the front!
In 50mph x-winds one should seek shelter 'til the winds subside, IMO.
I can understand your wifes newly acquired fear! You are lucky you weren't blown over!
Think of the lean angle to keep going straight and hitting some unseen gravel/oil or whatever in the roadway!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
a few years ago sandee and i were out riding, she on her nekked 1200 and me on my 1500 when the wind started gusting up to 45mph. we were south and west of jackson,mi. it would have been faster to make our way north andhead home taking I-94 but not safer so we took back roads where the speed limit was 55mph and traffic was much lighter. . when we got to sandee's house she had a big smile on her face

·
Banned
103 Posts
50 mph side wind? I'd take the first opportunity to get out of it. Happened to us, one year, in Slat Lake City. I got off 15, on the lee-side, and continued through the less windy urban area. That said ...

I make it a point to talk about the perils of riding, with my other half, every now and then. She has seen all my scars and I've told her how I got them. Trust is paramount with a backseater. She cannot see in front of her, nor does she have rear view mirrors (probably a good thing). When we pull over, for a break, we'll talk about the assholes on the road. Sometimes I'll pull over just to get out of a dangerous cluster of cars and I will tell her about it - she usually knows why. I don't dwell on these things, but including her on my strategies keeps her better connected to the ride - IMO. It also keeps me connected to her experience as a backseater. Which, in turn, helps keep me from doing something stupid. I mean, the GW handles so well with her on the back I sometimes forget she is there. Then the evil me tends to come out. So, staying connected, to her, helps prevent this...most of the time.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
First chance I get I get off and out of it. Came through Boise once and listening to 18 wheelers pulling off because one of their buddies had blown over. I found a motel and enjoyed a steak and early to bed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
She doesn't like the wind but has trust in me. Here in vegas we get lots of high wind during the summer. I don't have any trouble with it usually except sitting at a light. Gusts can play havack but you can anticipate them by watching traffic ahead and know where they are stronger. Still 50mph not fun. I found the stainless belly pan helped to keep the wind out from under the bike and keeps more wheel to the road.

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
As mentioned in my Sturgis trip report, I got my :eek:ss handed to me by high, variable, and gusting winds for 1200 of the 1500 total miles, including a gust-fractured windscreen. It was pretty miserable.

I just slow down a bit to let gravity do its job. It's a simple truth that all that tupperware that makes our bikes sleek and stylish also makes for a pretty good sail in side winds!:eek:

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
We get a lot of wind experience down here in Texas. Best advice I can give is just to slow down some and relax. Going up to Colorado sometimes I get in some real nasty winds from Lubbock on up into Raton and it can and does put a pucker factor in the ride but relaxing seems to help the most. I can't stop cause I may then be stuck for several days waiting for it to subside. I have seen times when I wish I would have stopped but I didn't and somehow I made it through. Sometimes if its really bad I will pull in behind a big rig and although its bouncy, most of the bad wind gusts are broken up by the 18 wheeler. I'll normally holler on the CB and tell the guy what I'm doing too. That way he knows I'm there and it keeps us both on the same page. :) Isaac

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
I heard this from DanB and thought he was crazy. His suggestion was to ride with one hand. We had 30+ and I tried it. It's amazing.....don't ask me why, but it works

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
But then the wind kicked up. We came up the 133 (Laguna Canyon) and when we emerged to the 405 the wind was at 50+ mph crosswise. .
Not to question but are you sure you experienced 50+ mph winds?

Description Wind Speed Possible effects
Calm 0 mph (0 kph) Chimney smoke rises straight up
Light air 2 mph (3 kph) Smoke drifts gently
Light breeze 5 mph (9 kph) Wind can be felt on face, leaves rustle
Gentle breeze 10 mph (15 kph) Tree leaves and twigs move
Moderate wind 15 mph (25 kph) Dust and paper is raised up from the ground
Fresh wind 21 mph (35 kph) Small trees begin to sway
Strong wind 28 mph (45 kph) Large branches move
Near gale 35 mph (56 kph) Entire trees sway
Gale 43 mph (68 kph) It is difficult to walk into the wind
Severe gale 50 mph (81 kph) Branches and slates are blown off
Storm 59 mph (94 kph) Houses are damaged, trees uprooted
Severe storm 69 mph (110 kph) Serious damage done to houses
Hurricane 74 mph (118 kph) Widespread damage

=LJ=

·
Registered
195 Posts
Going to and from work, I am riding on the barrier Island for about 10 miles.
We have strong on shore winds pretty regularly in the 20-25 mile range with gusts to 30 or more.
The main problem is the Condo's 5-10 floors high between me and the beach, they set up some realy bad gusts, sometimes no wind, then Heavy gusts, light wind, big gust no wind. It's very hard to antisipate what will come next, and no way to tell, sometimes wind from the oposite side, especialy if the wind is blowing from an angle and not just crosswind. I just try to relax, and not fight it, slowing down does help, but don't try to fight it and ride with it. You have to stay as near to center of the lane because you never know which side it will come from next. Lots of fun getting to work some days.
Rusty

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
I've ridden in wind conditions such as this in the Texas Panhandle enroute to Colorado in 2008 on a Burgman 650 Maxiscooter and last summer coming out of Big Bend near Marathon Tx. on an even lighter bike, a Burgman 400 Maxiscooter. The Panhandle had sustained winds at 50mph which was easier to handle than the microburst rain storm that blew up on us back to Alpine. My scooter got blown sideways one lane on a 4 lane highway. That was a bit freaky and the lighter weight of the 400 at about 500 pounds made it less maneuverable in high winds. The higher weight of of Burgman 650 and about 675 pounds makes it a good touring bike and better able to handle high winds. On the 650 we (group of 5 riders, all on Burgman 650's) all leaned into the wind, stayed loose in the saddle, avoided the death grip and allowed some room in the lane for the wind moving us around. A veteran rider friend of mine recommends riding with one hand in windy conditions to avoid the death grip and rigidness that tries to counter act the wind. One of the most important things though is to calm yourself down when things get hairy, calm yourself down by slowing down your breathing and talk yourself down to a calmer state and stay loose in the saddle. The Goldwing is much heavier than my Maxiscooters as I feel safer, more planted and able to deal with high winds. Once you've encountered high winds on a small bike, the larger touring bikes feel allot more capable in such windy conditions.

Of course this is an individual call and each has their own comfort zone. Your threshold of comfort and ability is different than someone else's. It is a skill though that can only be improved through the empiracle method; riding in windy conditions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Been in that area many times on the GW, nice ride. If it was me, I'd of turned around, headed back to the beach and found a hotel. Turn that "I don't wanna ride on the back of the bike" feeling into a "remember the night we stayed in that hotel on the beach...".

If I was alone, well, I just slow down a lot and stay in the CP lane.

M

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Serious wind is not fun, and can be damn dangerous. The bigger the vehicle, the more chance of harm coming your way.

·
Banned
466 Posts
High wind sucks. I have come through Palm Springs when I-10 was closed to "high profile vehicles" and it was not pleasant but I pushed on. If I had a passenger I would have stopped.

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
I rode back from Missouri once with 30 to 35 mph crosswind. I tried to keep my palms open so as not to grip too tight. Pushing down on the side the wind was hitting. I rode at an angle for a good long while on the windward side of the lane so when I was pushed over I had time to react before getting into another lane. I did okay, but it wasn't 50 mph. I'll use one of our fire orders; Keep Calm, Think Clearly, Act Decisively.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.