Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently ride a VTX1300R but have been seriously researching Goldwings for a while now. Looking for something like a 2001 to 2007 probably, to minimize entry cost as this will be my first GW. I’ve owned Honda’s my whole life and know all about dependability and even know miles driven isn’t usually an issue. My question to some of you however is what types of parts simply are close to needing replacement for a bike that’s up to 20 years old? I’ve owned high mileage cars before where the drivetrain was fine; appearance definitely needed work; but found several items (usually plastic, rubber or similar) that just started to go due to being old and drying out. Any concerns on specific components to look closely at for such a move?

This site has already helped me in my search for my wing. Looking forward to joining the cause soon.

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.
About the only thing of concern on the 1800s are the tires! Seriously, switches get dirty and cause problems, sometimes radiator hoses, but all in all they are a great machine.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Any year 1800 should be fine if properly maintained and ridden frequently. Some people have found it difficult to find a mechanic willing to work on older bikes

·
Registered
208 Posts
18-20 yrs old? I find it humorous what some folks consider old. Not judging, just mildly amusing. I suppose if it had been living outside that would be an issue, but if it's parked inside and maintained well there's no reason it shouldn't be top shape.
Like most guys, I wouldn't mind riding an 18yr old, but my girl is 36 and knows how to take care of a guy.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the comments. Yeah, I certainly know age (being old) is a relative thing with bikes. I’ve always had mine garaged but I’ve seen those that obviously didn’t have such benefit. Was thinking about how the elements affect plastic parts and hoses for sure. 2006 or 2007 sounds like a plus too but depend my shopping will be influenced by cost for sure. I’ve seen a lot of great first purchases on this site and many happy owners. I’m sure I’ll find mine too. 😎

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good luck on your search! I came from a VTX1300 and now have a 2007 Goldwing and a 2007 FJR. I was looking for a Goldwing to extend my travelling distance back in 2012 but the wings were priced a lot higher at the time and a super low mile FJR became available locally so I got my speedy tourer.

We extended our trip miles from 120 per day for up to three days in a row, to 350 per day for a week on the FJR. My wife wanted to ride with me to Montana (from KY) and what guy wouldn't want to make that happen? She was marginally comfortable on the FJR, but we test drove a wing and that was the end of that for her. Did a fly and ride to Pittsburgh and got a great 2007 GL1800 that we have done numerous 5000 mile two week trips now and I felt like riding again the next day. I've done a 1000 mile day and together we have done 850 but that was pushing it. They really handle the miles well, especially for the passenger.

I've never had any work done to my 07 wing except normal maintenance and adding stuff. They are super dependable.

So I still miss the VTX at times but only because it has a totally different feel. The feel between the FJR and wing are very similar except in the parking lot and there's a trade-off there with weight vs height. Also the FJR wants to go stupid fast and the wing is plenty fast enough for a sane person.

Anyway, I think you would be super happy with an 06-07 wing. Prices have come down a lot with the new models being popular and with economy weirdness. I have never looked at upgrading to a newer model because mine does exactly what it is supposed to. I do still ride the FJR more when riding solo, I have to admit.

- Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good luck on your search! I came from a VTX1300 and now have a 2007 Goldwing and a 2007 FJR. I was looking for a Goldwing to extend my travelling distance back in 2012 but the wings were priced a lot higher at the time and a super low mile FJR became available locally so I got my speedy tourer.

We extended our trip miles from 120 per day for up to three days in a row, to 350 per day for a week on the FJR. My wife wanted to ride with me to Montana (from KY) and what guy wouldn't want to make that happen? She was marginally comfortable on the FJR, but we test drove a wing and that was the end of that for her. Did a fly and ride to Pittsburgh and got a great 2007 GL1800 that we have done numerous 5000 mile two week trips now and I felt like riding again the next day. I've done a 1000 mile day and together we have done 850 but that was pushing it. They really handle the miles well, especially for the passenger.

I've never had any work done to my 07 wing except normal maintenance and adding stuff. They are super dependable.

So I still miss the VTX at times but only because it has a totally different feel. The feel between the FJR and wing are very similar except in the parking lot and there's a trade-off there with weight vs height. Also the FJR wants to go stupid fast and the wing is plenty fast enough for a sane person.

Anyway, I think you would be super happy with an 06-07 wing. Prices have come down a lot with the new models being popular and with economy weirdness. I have never looked at upgrading to a newer model because mine does exactly what it is supposed to. I do still ride the FJR more when riding solo, I have to admit.

- Paul
That’s very similar to my process. When I got my VTX, the Goldwings were out of my bank account range for the model years I was interested in. Flash forward to now and I’m back in the GW market. I’ve had a blast with my VTX and will sadly miss it once it’s gone. I’ve added all the accessories and creature comforts to make my riding enjoyable. But as I’ve started taking longer trips in recent years, I think a Wing will take it to the next level.

·
Registered
262 Posts
What ever year wing you get you and especially your better half will be very happy.. I have had more than a few big bikes but none have been more fun to ride than my 1800.😁

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also came off a VTX1300S and have never looked back. I have to say that I do not miss the VTX at all.
I had to ride it a couple of times moving it to and from winter storage after I got my 2010 Wing and holey crap!
That VTX felt like a dinosaur! 😱 The wing handles AND stops SOOO much better there's no comparison!
Should have bought a Gold Wing years ago....😁

GOO luck with your search, you WON'T regret it! 👍👍

1 - 13 of 13 Posts