Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
My 2018 idols around 1200 when cold and within several minutes drops to normal to around 700 RPMs. FYI.

Reactions: Fla wing

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's what I was thinking and why I suggested a visit to the dealer. Although some folks like to take care of things themselves. Me included.:oops:
In our world of computer driven machines I would say to take it straight to a dealer I would say it is just a computer setting ,,My dad had a new chevy truck that did the same thing they just reset it at the dealer and it never happened again ..

·
Premium Member
2007 GL1800(P)
26 Posts
I like my new GoldWing, but at startup it races to a high idle of 2,000 rpm and stays there. My only action is to put it in gear, take off and let the high idle drive it for 5 minutes.
I have owned many cars and bikes in the last 45 years and none have ever gone to high idle at startup. I fear I am going to seize the motor since the oil pressure is not instantaneous.
This thread got me thinking about mine. I have a silver '07 1800 with 70,419 miles. I haven't started her in about six weeks, so I went out and fired it right up. She went to a 1700 rpm for three minutes, then right down to 800rpm and stayed there. Guess I can't ask for any better. I just wish Honda had made air filter service easier (like my 1500 was). Guess that was one of the ways they were looking after the dealers and not the customers. But it's worth the hassle and the expense. Marvelous machine!

·
Registered
69 Posts
This thread got me thinking about mine. I have a silver '07 1800 with 70,419 miles. I haven't started her in about six weeks, so I went out and fired it right up. She went to a 1700 rpm for three minutes, then right down to 800rpm and stayed there. Guess I can't ask for any better. I just wish Honda had made air filter service easier (like my 1500 was). Guess that was one of the ways they were looking after the dealers and not the customers. But it's worth the hassle and the expense. Marvelous machine!
Well said , my gw 1800 , 05 , pretty much does the same .....

·
Premium Member
2007 GL1800(P)
26 Posts
Well said , my gw 1800 , 05 , pretty much does the same .....
Yea, it's not really as much of a problem as it is annoying. Just glad it's short lived. I was just reading another post and a guy said he used BG 44K with excellent results for a much worse problem. Think I might try to find some of it and give it a whirl; I'm not much of a Seafoam guy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yea, it's not really as much of a problem as it is annoying. Just glad it's short lived. I was just reading another post and a guy said he used BG 44K with excellent results for a much worse problem. Think I might try to find some of it and give it a whirl; I'm not much of a Seafoam guy.
This is my 1st yr using seafoam ....what dont you like about it ?...read few reviews, and they talked all good about it
I poured some into both of my bikes . I also have a 1986 gw, aspencade, 1200.

·
Premium Member
2007 GL1800(P)
26 Posts
This is my 1st yr using seafoam ....what dont you like about it ?...read few reviews, and they talked all good about it
I poured some into both of my bikes . I also have a 1986 gw, aspencade, 1200.
Just never saw where it did much good. Used to hear it was the cat's meow and tried it (with a qualified mechanic) on an old sailboat engine that was suffering. Several hours of work and several treatments of it and no results; nothing. Changed to a different product (that I use now in my Wing) and much better results. Costs 3-4 times as much, but cost is secondary to results. As it often happens, you get what you pay for, most of the time. May be fine for a lot of folks, just not my cup of tea. Never really seen too much from Marvel Mystery Oil either.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
All engines do that. My cars and motorcycles always have been idling higher after a cold start; unless you drive something prior to probably 1950. I started driving on a 1965 VW Beetle with 6-volt battery - even that machine did it. As long it comes down once it's warm - no problem.

"When a cold engine is started, a component called the auxiliary fuel injector sprays additional fuel into the intake manifold. The extra fuel helps the engine start faster. But we also do not want the fuel-air mixture to be too rich. So, the throttle valve opens to raise the engine’s idle speed. That’s why you see the engine idling at 1500rpm or even higher. Once the motor reaches its normal temperature, the idle speed also returns to normal."

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
All engines do that. My cars and motorcycles always have been idling higher after a cold start; unless you drive something prior to probably 1950. I started driving on a 1965 VW Beetle with 6-volt battery - even that machine did it. As long it comes down once it's warm - no problem.

"When a cold engine is started, a component called the auxiliary fuel injector sprays additional fuel into the intake manifold. The extra fuel helps the engine start faster. But we also do not want the fuel-air mixture to be too rich. So, the throttle valve opens to raise the engine’s idle speed. That’s why you see the engine idling at 1500rpm or even higher. Once the motor reaches its normal temperature, the idle speed also returns to normal."
I have had a 46 chevy and a 50 gmc...... granted, it had a manual choke..... but if you pulled on the choke it moved a stair shaped or cam shaped piece under the idle screw that would in turn open the throttle, so they too would up the idle speed.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
69 Posts

Makes sense

21 - 30 of 30 Posts