Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like my new GoldWing, but at startup it races to a high idle of 2,000 rpm and stays there. My only action is to put it in gear, take off and let the high idle drive it for 5 minutes.
I have owned many cars and bikes in the last 45 years and none have ever gone to high idle at startup. I fear I am going to seize the motor since the oil pressure is not instantaneous.

·
Super Moderator
28,508 Posts
If I were you, I would do one of 2 things. If you search I seem to remember something about a procedure about resetting your computer (but I could be wrong about that). Or 2nd thing take it to a dealer and have them look at it.

Maybe one of the guys who has the new machine will see this and chime in.

Oh, and welcome to the GWOF.

Reactions: Two Wheel Wing

·
Super Moderator
14,564 Posts
A 2018 would still be under warranty, wouldn't it?

·
Super Moderator
28,508 Posts
A 2018 would still be under warranty, wouldn't it?
That's what I was thinking and why I suggested a visit to the dealer. Although some folks like to take care of things themselves. Me included.:oops:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just went out to the garage and started my 2018 DCT. It was 55 degrees in the garage and the bike was idling at 1700 rpm. Mine usually drops the idle some after I get my helmet on, plug in electric jacket, plug in electric gloves, and then back out of the garage. Sometimes my reverse seems a little faster than normal. I haven't ever timed how long it takes for the fast idle to drop, but it doesn't seem much different from any other Gold Wing I've owned.

·
Super Moderator
7,647 Posts
I would take it to the shop and have them look at the program in the ECM as there may be an update, there could also be a faulty sensor that is allowing the idle to remain high.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As you can see, this is a helpful place to be.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I paid attention to mine this morning, an 02 and it ran at about 1700 at startup. 46 deg. but within a a few min it dropped down to normal

·
Registered
874 Posts
The OP didn't say what the outside temperature was, or how long it was at high idle.. It may take longer if it's cold.
My 2012 idles high for minutes when cold.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
my 2013 on low 40 mornings
idles at about1700-1800 rpm from the time I fire it up
then put my lunch and stuff in the saddle bag, put on my helmet and gloves and the first stop sign (1 block)
it is usually back to normal at the next stop sign (six blocks)
so however long that is

·
Registered
689 Posts
Try as said by OPs start it and let it idle while you suit up, if it is like mine the colder it is the longer it stays on high idle but the colder it is the longer it takes me to suit up. If it hasn't come off high idle all the way when you are ready to leave try blipping the throttle a couple times. I have found that if I ride immediately after starting the bike it has a habit of staying on high idle a little longer probably due to the increase in incoming cold air.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like my new GoldWing, but at startup it races to a high idle of 2,000 rpm and stays there. My only action is to put it in gear, take off and let the high idle drive it for 5 minutes.
I have owned many cars and bikes in the last 45 years and none have ever gone to high idle at startup. I fear I am going to seize the motor since the oil pressure is not instantaneous.
Does it do this every time or just after the bike has been sitting long enough for it to cool down (overnight)? My 2019 DCT Tour only does it first thing in the AM and then, it's only until it warms up a bit. I wouldn't be banging the tranny into gear at 2000 RPM.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Could
My 05 , 1800 , does the same , shouldn't do it long , but as long as the oil level is is good , no harm done .....but mine idles , then i give it gas , very lightly , and she comes down to regular idle ..
I missed what yr , and make ....?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could

My 05 , 1800 , does the same , shouldn't do it long , but as long as the oil level is is good , no harm done .....but mine idles , then i give it gas , very lightly , and she comes down to regular idle ..
I missed what yr , and make ....?
It is a 2018 but bought new in summer 2020. The bike is fantastic except for the high idle. I went to the dealer and was told that this model bike is designed to idle fast when cold. He claimed they all do this. After about 6 or 7 minutes, the idle drops to about 850 rpm. Many years ago, dad told me to never rev a cold engine as this is when the friction wear is greatest. Go figure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want to say thank you to all those who offered their thoughts on this issue. The GoldWing is a delux ride. I put the heli-bar risers on this bike and it made a ton of valuable improvement. I'm not that tall and so now I don't have to reach.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It is a 2018 but bought new in summer 2020. The bike is fantastic except for the high idle. I went to the dealer and was told that this model bike is designed to idle fast when cold. He claimed they all do this. After about 6 or 7 minutes, the idle drops to about 850 rpm. Many years ago, dad told me to never rev a cold engine as this is when the friction wear is greatest. Go figure.
Lol old school phases are the best!!
But it must be a normal thing , if the dealer says its ok and it sounds normal to me , my bike does the same! , however my 86 idol doesn't go down by itself , i just lower the choke and she goes down ...i guess its carburetor vs fuel injection. Otherwise just ride , and ride safe .....goldwing is an amazing machine , as long as you take care of it . Can't wait for the weather to warm up , which is why id love to live in florida , enjoy more riding days ....have a great day , off to work i go

·
Super Moderator
9,850 Posts
I understand your concern over high revs in a cold engine, but remember the oils today are much better and more suited for today's complex engines. I know prolonged high revving is annoying for us, but if the manufacturer is not concerned with the high revs I'm sure they have tested and know the capabilities and limits of their engines.

I don't think they want to be replacing engines since Wings are famous for running well over 100k miles within their warranty period.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The idle is controlled by by the ECU through various sensors to heat the engine enough to go into closed loop for emissions regs. As I stated before if you let the bike idle while you suit up it will come off high idle faster than if you jump on and ride away. As for the high idle hurting anything think of it as riding at 65 mph sitting still, it won't hurt anything.😁

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Registered
69 Posts
I understand your concern over high revs in a cold engine, but remember the oils today are much better and more suited for today's complex engines. I know prolonged high revving is annoying for us, but if the manufacturer is not concerned with the high revs I'm sure they have tested and know the capabilities and limits of their engines.

I don't think they want to be replacing engines since Wings are famous for running well over 100k miles within their warranty period.
Well said

1 - 20 of 30 Posts