Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't mind me. I'll just be lurking around a bit.

I currently have a Harley Sportster and am considering getting a touring bike some day to see if I can get the wife involved. I grew up riding Honda's, so I want to learn about what the latest and greatest is with the Wings....

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sportster versus a Wing

You are about to make a major move. Wives move up from just someone hanging on to become a Backseater, Co-pilot, Co-rider whatever the name status that gets them involved in the bike and it's operation. But the do love to be pampered. Heck I have a lighted make-up mirror on the inside of the trunk deck so she can fix the helmet-head hair when we stop.:eek: She loves the Wing as much or more then I do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It will be a couple of years. I plan ahead. :D

Good stuff here though. I would have had no idea about the XM problems without reading what is going on...

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Welcome Joe

Welcome to the site, enjoy the banter and start shopping.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Don't mind me. I'll just be lurking around a bit.

Been doing the same thing since November of last year myself; some might say " too much ". I came from riding a 1300 VTX solo for three years to installing a passenger cup holder for the wife on " her " new Wing. It's much easier for me to have a bike that she has an interest in . Now if she doesn't ride with me somewhere it's by choice.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania and feel free to "lurk" all you want. All rides are welcome here. Nice folks and good information. Ride safe and enjoy the site..

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey Joe i had a harley wide glide then got an elec glide had it with harley once you test ride a wing you will have to have it and you will never look back the bike is AMAZING

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF joe

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Hey there Joe, welcome. Took my wife for a ride o a Sporty on Grand Cayman 5 years ago. She never complained about my Vulcan after that. Now that we've got a Wing again, she asked me when we were taking a trip!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Joe - Wife and I just finished a 4200 mile trip this past Sunday on our 1 month old Wing. Not a peep from the back... Maybe a few Zzzzz's. She asked today when we are going to add more states to OUR map on OUR wing...

You won't be sorry to have a Goldwing.. I was contemplating a Victory Vision. Glad I listened to those who had done the same. When I got back from the trip, we had picked up a nail in Atlanta. I got back to Montgomery, AL and the dealership was closed, but one of the guys came into the shop on his off day to put my bike inside overnight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the welcomes. I hope when the day comes, I can get the wife engaged. I think she will really enjoy it if she gives it a chance.

One question did pop up. Harley has HOG and local chapters to link riders. I've been to the local chapter where I bought my bike, and I don't know if I mesh too well with the group. That is, it may just not be my kind of group of people. That said, is there something equivalent in the 'wing' world that links wing riders together to do rides? If so, what would that be?

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Besides this one that you are already a member of there are local riding chapters just about everywhere. Google " gwrra ".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chop, thanks much! I was able to learn that there is a chapter close to me.

I've been doing research, and I have only run across one thing that really scares me. That is transmission failures. I found a big discussion on another board about the topic but didn't see as much here. It was funny. Yellow Wolf(yes, I know who he is) reported no problems, but several others did. I thought that was odd because I know he can really push the wing.

Are there any other critical wing issues like this that are lurking about? Is the transmission problem really that common?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts