Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is one that no one seems to know. I own a GL1500 2000 GW. I've had my baby for around 4 years and from the first ride on the hwy at 140 kilometers an hour (90 mph) it had a bad vibration. When you look through the side mirriors all you see is blured lights from the cars behind. I had the head steering bearing changed new elite 3 tires changed a few times over the years and various other things. the vibration is much better but still there. The good thing is if you get caught at 50 klicks over the speed limit you get charged with racing which is a nasty charge and you can loose the vehicle. Since the hwy speeds are 100 kph on the major hwys it is a good warning device to slow down. I have been told that this is not unusual for the GL1500 wings to have this problem.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Badrider, I've never heard that 1500's get a vibration at high speed. In the few times I've run 3 digits on a '96SE and now 2000SE, never gotten a vibration under throttle, so smooth I didn't know how fast I was going! I have a slight vibration when I sharply get off the throttle at speeds over 70-75 though. It got better when I made slight adjustment to pressure on the front tire on the advice of my service manager, my mechanic has had it out also. I too run Dunlop E3's, 41 rear and now 38 front (I think Dunlop recommends 40). The tires currently have 17,000mi +/- on them, I sometimes pull a trailer and the tires are still in great shape (not just my opinion). I watch my tires closely, I had them installed when I had to have the drive shaft replaced at 91,000, now almost 109,000mi. Good luck!

·
Registered
515 Posts
But then again, is the vibration from the bike or just the wind blowing against the mirrors causing them to vibrate? Keep her under supersonic and the problem might solve itself.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi whacker thanks for your responce. I also run 38lb pressure in the front tire and 41 in the rear. The entire bike is what vibrates, but as I said it is much better since I did things to it like head bearings. I personally think that it might be the drive shaft. I have worried to much about it because it is at the 90 mph and up speed. I will admit it does bug me that it does this. I have around 140,000 kilometers (90,000 miles) and am sure it is the original shaft.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hmmmm, hate to say it but it might be worth looking into. Mine failed running down the interstate at about 70mph, kept hearing a clicking sound over a few miles, then the grinding started and the RPM went nuts, I grabbed the clutch and hit the kill switch at the same time. Found that 5 splines on the shaft at the final drive had broken off. It was ugly looking when exposed, sorta like when water dries in a steel pipe, not much if any lube on the splines. My mechanic says it looks like it wasn't greased at the factory, there is no recomended maintenance on it. Fortunately, the warranty I purchased with the bike covered all the repairs :) The bad news is the warranty expires on Jan 7, 2010 :(

Be safe!

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks my man, can't do anything until the spring, or summer.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a follow up to an old problem. Near the end of last summer I had work done again on the bike. I had the steering head bearings done again and another new rear tire.
Happy to say no vibrations what so ever, even at high speeds I dare not to post. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts