Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Guy, Not only to Goldwing but to forums in general, Anyway, Here's my situation, I sold my hog a couple of years ago and really missed riding. Toured the U.S. in the mid 90's on a heritage softail.Great trip, no breakdowns, enjoyed every thing about journey. The hog was a good bike, but I think I want something quieter, smoother and faster. I am going to get a gold wing and see if that's the answer I'm looking for.
I have been looking at some older wings just to get back on the road without spending a huge amount of cash up front. In particular I been eying an 89 aspencade with 100,000 miles. What should I look for? any common problems with that many miles? I'm in kind of a hurry so it doesn't sell from under me. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Many Wing owners have over 100k miles on their bikes with no major problems, some over 200k. The main thing to look for on the engine is that the timing belts have been changed. I believe the recommendation is around 80k. As long as the other fluids (oil, filter, brake, coolant, etc) have been changed according to schedule then there should not be many problems. If the owner has records of maint performed that would be good, buy you can tell a lot about how a bike was treated by the condition you see.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Greetings Dynamike and have to agree on everything TW says. Biggest thing to me above that is if the bike has been in regular service use during it's lifetime. Sitting around gathering dust usually is harder on any machine than daily or at least regular use. For the most part Wings are pretty much bullet-proof and have looong high mileage lives. Welcome to the forum.:D

·
Registered
835 Posts
Greetings from Canada Dynamike! My '91 has over 100,000 miles on it and it still puts a smile on my face every time I take it out. Runs like a top. As Two Wheel and Budoka say, regular maintenance is key. You won't regret the Wing.
As someone in this forum said, "I ride too far, too fast and too often to ride a Harley". No slam on Harley, just a pedestal for the Wing :)
Strat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, I like your, to fast, to far, quote. As of yesterday I am now true member of Goldwing owners group, Got an 89, I'm the third owner of the bike.From what I can tell, The irst owner took excellent care of it, pretty sure the second put it through a year of alcohol abuse,Dropped it, refused to polish it and general neglect, everything seems to work ok and it's cleaning up nicely, only took it for a short putt as it is in dire need of a back tire. That's OK though, I can spend a couple of days doing some serious inspection and detailing and most importantly getting to know the components and controls, a little work but I think I,m going to be satisfied with my choice of honda over harley...Thanks again and I'm happy to know there are nice folks like you around, ya never know, maybe someday we'll meet in our travels and journeys

·
Registered
835 Posts
Congrats on the new 89 Dynamike! This forum is full of the nicest, most informative Wingnuts you'll find. If you have any questions during your restoration, post it here.
You're sure to get an answer.
Strat

·
Registered
102 Posts
Your new/old Wing

:) Hello Dynamike,
I'm a newbie here too... but not a newbie to Goldwings. I'm on my 4th one, a 93 with 108k on it now. Congrats on the new ride.
One thing that wasn't mentioned is that the 15's have a notorious reputation for alternator failures. Generally it is the brushes wearing out around 50-60k and I've also heard about other parts in there failing as well. Can't think of the name of them right now though. So having said that I would pull that alternator off and have it inspected. Its not hard to get off if your even a little mechanical. I'm pretty sure any alternator shop could look at it for you. By now you've probably heard stories about owners bikes quiting out in the middle of the countryside and people buying a new battery thinking that is what the problem is and they break down again with a dead battery. Obviously it wasn't getting a charge. I've got extra lights on mine so I sprung for a Compu-fire alternator with the sealed battery. I've kept a smart charger on it (whenever parked) since 2002 so I'm still using that same battery as well. So I think it was worth it. Ya, that's something else... get a smart charger and keep it plugged in when you park it at night.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Greetings from Florida Dynamike, you're going to enjoy your new to you Wing. Yes everyone on this forum is wonderful. True there are people who take care of their Wings and some who don't. I purchased mine from the Honda dealer someone traded it for an 1800. I've heard about the alternator failures and I do have a back up one I bought from an individual who sold their Wing and then had no need for the part. Knock on wood mine still works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts