Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have a 1987 GL1200 Aspencade. I have an issue sometimes it just dies when it gets to the second bar on the temp sensor before it gets to the 3rd bar. It will just do it randomly and some times when its idles and sometime when it it is moving down the road. I let it sets for a few minutes it fires right up again. Once it restarts it runs fine and no problems. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? If so what did you do to fix it. Thanks

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with the 1200s but there are many on the forum that are and I am sure they will chime in soon.

·
Super Moderator
11,476 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The Pulse Generators are known to cause this problem when starting to go bad.

Reactions: budoka and NREMTP

·
Super Moderator
9,668 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone state. Enjoy the forum and ride safe..

·
Super Moderator
14,215 Posts
All I can add is a welcome to you from Mississippi. I never owned a 1200, but Tank and a number of people here have and some still do.

·
Premium Member
10,891 Posts
The first thing I would be checking is the ignition. Wriggle the key in the on position and if the dash gauges go on and off. Then what is happening is...................................there is wear in the plate in the ignition and once you get a bit of heat it expands enough to make contact again. So it happens when you first start the bike up to about 3 minutes later.

Welcome to GWOF from Down Under.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Tank and Eric are two knowledgeable people on the 1200's. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Welcome. The guys should have you on the right track. Another of the occasional burps on the 1200 is the drain hole in the spark plug wells. They can get clogged and retain water in the well causing misfires. But it usually only will show up in the rain or after washing the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
My 1200 did the exact same thing and just about drove me nuts, which some will tell you would have been a short drive. Anyway, it had nothing to do with the temp of the engine and everything to do with the main 30amp fuse on the right side of the battery. Mine had a hairline crack that when it got hot would disconnect and the bike would quit running until the engine cooled down. To look at it it looked fine which is why you can't really see the crack very well. The mod is to take the whole fuse out and wire in a modern 30amp blade fuse. BTW, it was a very common problem with the 1200.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if it was the fuse wouldn’t it keep happening? Once I get it started again it runs great and even when it gets up to 4 or 5 bars in the temp it still runs great. I have had it go days and weeks with it not happening and then it might happen when I go to work and when coming home. Sometimes just once in a day. It runs great otherwise.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
if it was the fuse wouldn’t it keep happening? Once I get it started again it runs great and even when it gets up to 4 or 5 bars in the temp it still runs great. I have had it go days and weeks with it not happening and then it might happen when I go to work and when coming home. Sometimes just once in a day. It runs great otherwise.
Believe what you will, but Google 1200 Goldwing main fuse problem s. This may or may not be your problem, but it's the first place I would look. The factory fuse has been known to cause a lot of strange problem s just like yours and it's a easy fix.

Reactions: Eric
1 - 12 of 12 Posts