Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, Normally my son and I take a summer bike trip, but this year he graduates from High School and needs to work this summer to make some spending money for when he goes to college in the fall. As a result I was thinking of doing a solo 1.5-2 week trip from Idaho to Mackinaw bridge, taking the Hi-Line, HWY #2 all or as much as possible to get there, head south around the lake, and then return on HWY #12. :smile2: Looking for any tips, advice etc on where to stay, what to see along the way, any better routes to take, any routes to avoid. If this trip happens it would be mid-to end of July timeframe. Thanks for any help or suggestions. :sCo_hmmthink:

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Be sure to include a stop at Pictured Rocks, very scenic

Reactions: idaho_lone_rider

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
stop here while in da U.P.

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
US 2 is on my bucket list. The ride along the north shore of Lake Michigan to the Mackinaw Bridge is super. (I went to college in the UP.) I know you said around the Lake and back on US 12, the east shore of Lake Michigan is great, but you will be going through Chicago to get back. So let me suggest you do cross the bridge and head down the east shore to Petoskey or Traverse City but then cut east across to Alpena and see the Lake Huron shore. Then back up across the bridge back to the UP. Cut back across the top of the Peninsula to see Tahquamenon Falls and Picture Rocks as Doc and Fossil suggested. Then over to Houghton and up the Keweenaw Peninsula to Copper Harbor. Lighthouses and water falls along the shore of Lake Superior and Brockway Mountain Drive in the middle. Then you can cut south down to US 12 for your return ride.

Reactions: fossil92

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
US 2 is on my bucket list. The ride along the north shore of Lake Michigan to the Mackinaw Bridge is super. (I went to college in the UP.) I know you said around the Lake and back on US 12, the east shore of Lake Michigan is great, but you will be going through Chicago to get back. So let me suggest you do cross the bridge and head down the east shore to Petoskey or Traverse City but then cut east across to Alpena and see the Lake Huron shore. Then back up across the bridge back to the UP. Cut back across the top of the Peninsula to see Tahquamenon Falls and Picture Rocks as Doc and Fossil suggested. Then over to Houghton and up the Keweenaw Peninsula to Copper Harbor. Lighthouses and water falls along the shore of Lake Superior and Brockway Mountain Drive in the middle. Then you can cut south down to US 12 for your return ride.
I will have to look into this, thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't too thrilled going through Chicago, I was thinking of going further south to avoid it, but this may be a more scenic alternate plan. :smile2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts