Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just joined. I live in SE Pa. I just sold a 1986 GL1200 Aspencade and bought a 1997 GL1500 Aspencade SE.
I'm not riding it yet, it has some issues I'm trying to resolve. When I bought it it would not start unless you jumped the battery directly to the starter. If I use the start button I just get a bunch relays clicking and the starter doesn't run.I wired in a start button going from the battery to the starter post. I could then start it. I was checking things trying to solve the starter button issue, fuses, relays and connections. I pulled the ECU out to check it's connection, after reinstalling the ECU, now it turns over but won't start, like it's not getting gas. I was wondering if disconnecting and reconnecting the ECU would effect the fuel pump or something else in the fuel system? Hoping one of you veteran Goldwingers could give me a little advise?

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Sorry, I can not as I am not up on anything pre-2001. But I do welcome you to the forum from Virginia. And there are a lot of guys on here who still have those older gold wings. Just wait for them to respond and they will.

·
Super Moderator
10,928 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Make sure the Kill Switch is in the run position, it can easily be over looked.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Virginia.

Check the fuses.

·
Premium Member
10,734 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under.

This is what I would do:

Spray Start Ya Bastard into the air cleaner. Hit the starter....................if it runs, then you have a fuel issue.
If it doesn't run you have a spark issue.

·
Super Moderator
27,566 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from a fellow Keystoner, and 1500 owner. If you follow my mate's advice that should be a good start (no pun intended).

It is very common for 1500 control switches to be gummed up and not functioning correctly. I would go to your local Home Depot and get some Electrical Contact cleaner. WD40 makes one now so that makes people here happy (more on that later). I would clean all the switches including the kill switch. If you look at the controls they have small openings that you can shoot the WD40 into, or you can carefully separate them form the handle bar. It is quite possible that the electrical current is not flowing where it needs to go.

Additionally if you can pick up a Clymers manual or Honda shop manual that will help as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,393 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from another Pennsylvanian Looks like you have some good advice to help solve your problem. Ride safe and enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
13,826 Posts
All I can add is a welcome to you from Mississippi.

Start Ya Bastard
I don't think we have that brand name product here in the US......>:)

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and I hope you resolve your GW problems.

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,984 Posts
Welcome. Over and above the posted advice, don't discount the pesky reverse lever. They've been known to have the same effect on not engaging the starter. Since you do have the starter spinning over now that's probably not it though. But vacuum lines also have been known to create issues on the 1500.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts