Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My name is Dan Messaros and I am a Park Ranger with the National Park Service. I am located in Yucca Valley CA, just above Palm Springs. I currently ride a 2004 ST 1300, but have always liked the Gold Wing. I had a friend that had a 88 1500 that just sat in his shop. I kept bugging him to do something with it, so in June, he said he would sell it to me real cheep to get it out of the shop. Well it has not run in 7 years, to it needed some work.

I pulled the carbs and rebuilt them. Replaced all, yes all of the coolant hoses. Even the small ones that are a pain to get to. New tires and all fluids and other odd and ends that I found needed replacing while I was at it. It had fuel in the tank and found that the bottom of the tank was rusted bad. Found a good replacement on E Bay. I have it back together and it runs great. Still fixing some small things. Some of the switches are sticky, so I am taking them apart and cleaning and replacing the lube.

It has been a fun project and am almost there to take her for a good ride. I have used the site to gain a lot of good info for the work I am doing on the bike.

Thanks!! Dan

Here are a few photos of the work that I did on the bike.

Here she is all dusty before I started work.

Front end out to replace front tire and new fork fluid.

Here is the rear apart to replace the gas tank.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF.....i too will one day be a ST/Goldwing owner. Good luck finding all the nuts and bolts.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Welcome to the forum. One thing about it, you'll definitely know your bike! :)

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Nice looking Wing and a great project. When the bike is done it will run like new.
Congrats.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
hello dan, welcome to GWOF. thats a good project your are working on and when you are done you'll have a fantastic wing to ride

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking bike and good luck with her.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
+1 on the previous comments. Way too nice a bike to just be sitting!

Congratulations on your find and your good work. Should run pretty much forever when you're done. I don't recommend riding the fire breaks with it, though!:p

Welcome to the GWOF, Ranger Dan!

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from the east coast. Ride safe and enjoy...

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
+2 on all the comments.

Welcome to a great forum with great people.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Like all have said ...your wing will be like new when you are done. Nice to see you have your manual out to use as you do the work.

Ride Safe Always!!

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Nice Wing.
Might try flushing the switches with Radio Shack contact cleaner, that stuff works great on clean switches.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
That's a very energetic undertaking you have there, enjoy the time with your new baby. Eye-balling your ST in the background, does the tail trunk have a spoiler on it? What kind is it?

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
I would have left over bolts if I took mine down that far:(

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone! I got everything back together and NO parts left over!! Got the switches cleaned and new grease put in. They needed it. The old grease was very sticky and even a spray cleaner would not have helped. Took it out on a 80 mile ride and it ran great.

Budoka, That is a Honda Line top box and spoiler. They were not sold in the US. I ordered it from a dealer in England.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Well, Hot Damn!

Nice job!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts