Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)Hello all ----

Just joined the Forum here after checking out several other 'Wing' Forums--

Basic info--- Old Fart (mentally still 17), married 28 years, 4 adult kids, 5 grand kids-- currently living/working in Merced, CA. Been riding since my teens (think Honda 305 Scrambler, BSA 441 Victor)--

Finally got my first Harley several years back-- on my third V-twin now-- current ride is a 2007 Big Dog Chopper--Candy Red-Ghost Flames-- 117" S&S--about 3000 miles on it--

Sooo, what the heck am I doing here? Well, wife and I are realizing that just maybe we ought to consider a bit more comfort in our ride so that we can actually RIDE--

Anyway, the Goldwing is the obvious choice (actually been a big Wing fan for a long time)-- and I have been looking/researching bikes, checking prices, asking alot of questions.:confused:

I am pretty sure we are ready for the change, and have focused on a 2010 or 2012 Goldwing with ABS-- I see the 2010's going for as low as $21000new from a dealer---

My first question is whether or not the 2010 and later Goldwings are 50 state bikes--- in other words, if I buy a new one in another state, can I register it in CA and comply with Ca emissions standards.

Anyone?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good question and your short answer is yes it can come from anywhere. I think it was about 00 or 01 they all went 50 state legal. Good choice on a wing too you might look back and wonder how you ever rode any distance on anything else lol. I got off a 07 ultra in 08 (divorce) back on a 77 kz900 I owned in my 20's for a year. Found my 89 1500 in a barn dying and so far my total investment is $3800 in it. Miss my ultra sometimes cause it was a good looking bike and thats about all. My 89 isn't the least bit ugly still needs some tlc,but it hasn't vibrated my fillings out or burned my leg until I blistered or had me completely worn out after a looooong day on the road.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Best thing to do is take a Wing for a long test ride. Make sure the wife is with you and see what your impressions are. I think you will love the Wing, but most of us on here are a little bit predigest. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Welcome from Vermont!! Great bunch of guys all of us Are (mentally something)here, you will get good info for your new purchase. Rode Harley all my life but you cant beat the comfort of a Wing!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello sam, welcome to GWOF. with a wing you go from 3000 miles in three years to 3000 miles in just a few months

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.
Buy a Wing and join the :D crowd
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Sam... That was a good question. I did not know the answer but now I do. That's what happens around here, you learn a lot from a great group of folks. I don't think I have ever been on a friendlier forum. welcome from Miami :)

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I believe the wife will instantly take to the Goldwing. You, on the other hand, will have to change your riding style. No more laying back arms stretched out, feet positioned beyond the engine, triceps flapping in the wind......... You can do it for her.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to GWOF WingManSam. My bet is you'll both love the Wing. Customs are cool and all, but the real pleasure is in the way you can rack up the miles on a Wing. Go and get your feet wet and find out why the Wing has such a devoted following.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, thanks to all for the warm welcome----:)

I will be putting the Dog up for sale soon, and will get serious about finding the right Wing for us-- Yes, I am sure that the wife will love the new ride (she hates the old one!)--

I am thinking about a 2010 model, maybe new, maybe slightly used if the price, mileage and goodies are right---

It is a big advantage that the wing is a 50-state bike--

I did find a few decent new ones priced well (ABS model for $21,695.00) at Cherry Hill in New Jersey--

They made a very bad first impression-- emailed the internet manager and simply asked (before I got my answers here) if the 2010's were 50-state bikes and could they be brought into CA-- guy responded NO-- they are not--

I followed up and asked again if he was sure as their corporate customer service advised they were all 50-state bikes and there should be a CA emissions certificate on all the Wings now--

He responded that No, he wasn't 'sure', he was just going on what someone had told him!! (wow- how about you get up off your butt and go find out?):rolleyes:

Anyway, we seem to be partial to the Red or Black Cherry models, but there sure seem to be a lot of bright Yellow models available--

I will check back in a while and see if anyone can give a good reference for a dealer-------------- thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
Hello WingManSam, welcome to the forum. I can't give much for feedback on the new Wings, but if it's a Wing.......

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Sam, all 1800's are 50 state legal. The original 1000's were until '78 and then after that, all 1000, 1100, 1200 and 1500 were 49 and Califonria separate. Hopefully some of the members will post some of their favorite dealers to help you out on the quest. Um, unless you wanted to make a trip up here and pay our prices hehe (not!):D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts