Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. Just bought a new to me but used 1997 Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade with 54000 miles. Everything appears to be working properly except that the rear brake appears to have a lot of free-play on the pedal so I assume that it will be in need of some new brake pads because I do not see any adjustment. It is also in need of an oil and filter change. What is a good recommended oil to use, synthetic or not?

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state of Pennsylvania and congrats on your new 2u Wing. Where exactly is "away from the snow" located??

As far as oil, everyone has their favorite. I have always used Honda synthetic blend in all my Wings and Honda filters. I don't put 200,000 miles on my Wings, so mileage is not a factor, but I figure if Mother Honda recommends it, then it's good enough for me.

Ride safe and enjoy the site. Nice folks and good info on here.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Good morning from the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. You probably hear my old Harrier squadron jets flying over from time to time.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
hello gadet guy, welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome Gaget Guy -- There are several great threads on the best oil and filter with many opinions. It becomes a matter of choice and I think there are three good choices. On the brakes, you need to check the wear and how much pad you have left. By all means check all the the things you need to be safe. Used bikes can be very dangerous to just get on and go. You'll enjoy- :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Welcome to the forum Gadget;
Your rear brakes might just need bleeding. Here is a easy way to bleed the brakes. On the rear+ fill a gallon milk jug with water, Pump the brake up a bit and hang the jug off the pedal over night.
For the front brakes squeeze the lever a few times and tie the lever in and let it set over night.
For the clutch= you'll need a spacer about 1 inch thick, place it between the lever and the grip and tie the lever in. Let it set over night.
If you don't have the tools or the ability this is an easy way to bleed the brakes and clutch.
Keep in mind they should be flushed and bled every couple of years. Again welcome to the forum
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome Gadget Guy from the snowland. Have to agree on the above advice, then get out and ride, you're in the right part of the country for it.:D

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Welcome and greetings from Florida.
I use Honda GN4 oil 10w40 with an OEM filter.
Check the level of the fluid in the rear master cylinder reservoir and check to see if the level has dropped, if so check the rear brake pads and the left front pads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have checked the fluid but have not done much else because it was spitting rain all day in what is sunny dry Arizona.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. Just bought a new to me but used 1997 Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade with 54000 miles. Everything appears to be working properly except that the rear brake appears to have a lot of free-play on the pedal so I assume that it will be in need of some new brake pads because I do not see any adjustment. It is also in need of an oil and filter change. What is a good recommended oil to use, synthetic or not?
Welcome, you did goooooooooood on the purchase of the bike. The 1997 is a great dependable work of art. :)

Check your brake fluid in both the front and rear master cylinders. If this is okay and not milky looking go the the rear pads and take a look. They are very easy to change just remove the left bag and loosen the lower shock bolt but DON'T remove it all the way.

As for the oil I would attempt to find out what type of oil the previous owner has been using in the machine. As for syn over dino that is another thread similar to who makes the best car. You will never get the correct answer that you are searching for. :eek:

Do your own research on the 100's and 100's of oil threads on the various forums, sooner or later you will form an opinion, maybe. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and hints on procedure. Once the weather smartens up(I don't have a garage) I will start with some of the maintenance issues.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and hints on procedure. Once the weather smartens up(I don't have a garage) I will start with some of the maintenance issues.

No garage for a Goldwing?!?!

Blasphemy!! :eek:

:D:D

(Just kidding!)

Welcome to the forum.

Merry Christmas!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts