Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just learned an expensive lesson. Bought a new 09 Harley Ultra Classic last October and really enjoyed it til it got hot and then lookout. Could hardly stand the heat at stop lights and in stop and go traffic. I put 9,000 miles on it in less than a year but finally decided I had made a mistake and traded for a new 09 Wing with Comfort/Navi. I had to go to Oklahoma cause no one I found in Texas would sell it as cheaply as they did. Anyway, rode the Harley from Ft. Worth the Oklahoma City in 105 degree temp and really got hot going up but the ride back on the new Wing was a big difference. Not to mention the ride quality and additional power. I look forward to many miles ahead.
2003 VTX 1100
2009 Ultra Classic
2009 Goldwing

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF avidrider, they say the hd's run hot to meet emissions. hope you are enjoying your new wing

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Wing. Hope you enjoy it and put a lot of safe and fun miles on her. Enjoy and ride safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a current owner of both a 2007 HD Softail and a 2008 Goldwing I have to say that each have their pros and cons as far as heat goes. If I am stopped for a while at a light then I definitely get a bit of heat coming off the engine (though not quite the thigh blistering heat some people talk about). However, once I get rolling I hardly notice the heat at all since the open front on the motorcycle gets some good airflow going over my legs and the engine.

In the case of my Goldwing, it's more or less the reverse. If I'm stopped at a light it's a bit cooler since the engine is positioned more in front, it's water cooled, and so on. However, when I get going the fairing that completely covers my legs, plus the engine block right in front of my feet seems to generate hot air around my legs that doesn't get dissipated by the headwind.

At some point soon I need to pick up some highway pegs for my Goldwing which I hope will help to alleviate that, but for now it seems that when I'm on longer backroads trips with less stops, I stay cooler on the Harley.

That said, though, in this 100 degree north Texas heat, any motorcycle is going to be toasty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts