Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gifted this 83 gl1100 Interstate. It has been sitting for 4 years in a garage. I have a couple of issues i need help with.

1. Dose anyone have a repair manual pdf?
2. Is the bike suppose to roll easy in neutral? I am almost 300 lbs and cant hardly roll it to get it into my garage. I think the brakes may be locked up.
3. Where is the lever to release the seat?
4. Any advice on what to do before i start it. (EG change oil/gas etc.)

These may seem like dumb questions but have never had a big bike like a Goldwing.

Thankyou,

Merritt

·
Super Moderator
11,892 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

It should roll easy. If I remember correctly, the seat is held on with bolts under the side covers. I would make sure it cranks over before anything else, kill switch off and push start to see what it does. If it cranks over, THEN change oil and gas before you try starting it. I'm sure you will find the cabs will need to be rebuilt.

Reactions: mreidiv and NREMTP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, welcome to the forum.

It should roll easy. If I remember correctly, the seat is held on with bolts under the side covers. I would make sure it cranks over before anything else, kill switch off and push start to see what it does. If it cranks over, THEN change oil and gas before you try starting it. I'm sure you will find the cabs will need to be rebuilt.
Thankyou,

It does crank over, but it is like the starter is bad it just goes womp ...womp ... womp then starts acting right. I think the starter may be going out. I used jumper cables from my truck so the power of the battery is not the issue. I will let you know tomorrow if i can get it to fire.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :D

That may have been a gift, or,... not... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: mreidiv

·
Registered
605 Posts
Wish you the best of luck.👍

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hey Mreidiv - Pull all four spark plugs - then hit the starter. The cylinders may be partially filled with old gas that has leaked past the carburetor floats while sitting in the garage.

Good Luck - Michael

·
Registered
805 Posts
Also should have mentioned to check for a good spark while the engine spins over and the spark plugs are removed. Nice looking bike ....

Good Luck - Michael

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
Welcome to the forum. When your were gifted the bike, did you get any maintenance records? That will help people to recommend important items to take care of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the forum. When your were gifted the bike, did you get any maintenance records? That will help people to recommend important items to take care of.
inside the original owners manual there are a couple of pieces of paper with oil change and miles on them but other than that no. The guy that owned the bike passed away for years ago and a friend of mine traded some work for it. The bike only has 28 thousand original miles on it and that is where the oil change records stop.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You were gifted a diamond in the rough, with a little TLC it will become your best friend. A plus is when you get bit back to 100% you can pat yourself on the back and say I did that.👍 Take your time and enjoy yourself, it is winter now so just consider it an indoor hobby, besides it will keep you out of the better half 's way.😉

Reactions: NREMTP and mreidiv

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I am relatively new here myself. I have been getting great advice from all these old hands. This summer I got my paws on an 82 1100 with 29k mi on it. Sold to me for the blue book price which is ridiculously low. I am very lucky, in that the machine was always stored indoors and was a runner when I purchased it. It took some getting used to, as my last machine was a KZ1000 and that was 20 years ago.
So, I feel double gifted, in that I've got a great machine and a great forum to learn all about it. Good luck with yours. I'll be watching your posts...

·
Registered
28 Posts
congrats on your new bike, that is a good looking bike. it very likely is going to have to have the carbs rebuilt, if you don't want to tackle that job I can suggest a shop that can do it at a fair price. you will want to replace the timing belts before you ride it, I wouldn't even run it too much before replacing them. it's not that hard and is low cost to prevent loosing the motor if one were to break
like said you are going to have a fine bike once it's up and running
Good Luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are 2 bolts That hold the seat on. One each on each side of the seat close to the shock mounts. One side should have a small handle that is spring loaded so it can be pulled out to move the seat forward and backward to fit you. If the oem tool kit came with it, there should also be 2 hex key wrenches that fit those bolts. I have owned a couple 1100's, plus have one sitting now under my carport with only 10,000 miles on it. I think it even has original tires as they are really weather checked which is one good reason it is sitting now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The pushing hard is probably due to calipers and master cylinders being stuck/plugged up. If they don't get ridden much, that is a common problem. Not so much if they are used 9 months and set 3, but setting a year or more, it is expected. Rebuild all and completely flush old brake fluid from system. Flush yearly after that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With those Comstar wheels, your bike is not an '83. Look at the plate attached to the frame (head tube) to see what year it is.
you are correct the plate says 1982 but the owners manual says 1983. i hope the carb rebuild kit i bought still works.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts