Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Jim. Been riding for 40+ years. I've owned a touring bike (not a Wing) quite a few years ago, had a long break after an accident, and am now riding a sportbike, which I love and will keep. But I am going to start doing more two up distance riding as I'm retiring in a couple of weeks. I'm in the market for a touring machine and am debating between BMW LT, Concours, and a Wing. The Wing has been my 1st choice for a while, but something a buddy of mine told me is starting to weigh on my mind. He told me as they age, many riders downsize in the interest of owing a "nimbler" bike that is easier to handle. I'm 56 and in good health, 5' 7", 180, and my wife is 5'3", 130. Any input?

Also, any input on ABS vs non-ABS. I know I can probably get a really good deal on a new or used non-ABS bike, but absent a lottery win, the next bike I get will probably be the last bike I get and I want to do it right.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome Jim,
I went from a vulcan 2K and the wife wanted a better 2 up bike so we test drove a lot of bikes...
We both agreed that the Wing was the best by far.
I loved the power the 2000 had and was not disappointed in the Wing.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Ask " joe in calif " about aging and a Wing. He is selling his and it is offered here. I can't tell you what he is replacing it with because we are a Goldwing Forum ( wink, wink ). Talk to joe . P.S. At 56 you still have a good 10 + years left to ride the big one.

·
Super Moderator
7,612 Posts
Welcome & greetings from Florida.
If you want all the comfort, the bells and whistles; go with the Wing and if you get to the point where you want to continue riding but certain physical problems crop up on you, you'll have a bike that makes a sweet trike. This way you can continue riding and enjoying the thrill.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Hi Jim
I'm 69 and still riding my 93 GL1500 Aspencade I bought in August of 93. This past June the wife and I rode from N.W. Washington State to Allentown Pennsylvania and back. So I'd say you got a few good years to enjoy a Wing.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
My first Wing had ABS My new one does not I like it better without,
Had no problems just did not care for it.
You can alway go trike if something happens which I hope nothing will happen to you or anyone,My wife and I already said we would go trike if something did,Goldwing is to hard to give up,But down sizing is good too if it keeps you riding

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
hello jim and welcome to GWOF

·
Super Moderator
10,006 Posts
First welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Your just the right age for a wing... If you want ABS you have to go to the top of the line wing. If ABS is not a priority, then a base wing has a lot to offer for less $$. Whichever wing you buy I'm sure you will enjoy it as we do. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome to the site Jim. The Concours is fine for one up riding, but a tad skimpy for two in the comfort dept. The LT is a terrific bike as well but maintenance on BMW's can be costly. The Wing is a delight to ride and is tops in the two up comfort zone.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ask " joe in calif " about aging and a Wing. He is selling his and it is offered here. I can't tell you what he is replacing it with because we are a Goldwing Forum ( wink, wink ). Talk to joe . P.S. At 56 you still have a good 10 + years left to ride the big one.
Welcome from Ontario Canada Jim. Joe in California is replacing the Wing with a Kawi C14, I believe. His Wing is posted on the forum and if I had the $, I'd scoop it. It looks immaculate.
Ride safe,
Strat

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Hi Jim, Welcome to the site.............I'm 67 5-7, 180 and just bought a new Wing this past summer. I have no problems handling it, I'm looking to buy a trailer for it soon. For long distance riding, you can't beat it.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Everybodys welcome here,,,,,,,,The new guys buy the coffee, J/K.........welcome to the site. Tell us a little about yourself.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.