Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Jim. Been riding for 40+ years. I've owned a touring bike (not a Wing) quite a few years ago, had a long break after an accident, and am now riding a sportbike, which I love and will keep. But I am going to start doing more two up distance riding as I'm retiring in a couple of weeks. I'm in the market for a touring machine and am debating between BMW LT, Concours, and a Wing. The Wing has been my 1st choice for a while, but something a buddy of mine told me is starting to weigh on my mind. He told me as they age, many riders downsize in the interest of owing a "nimbler" bike that is easier to handle. I'm 56 and in good health, 5' 7", 180, and my wife is 5'3", 130. Any input?

Also, any input on ABS vs non-ABS. I know I can probably get a really good deal on a new or used non-ABS bike, but absent a lottery win, the next bike I get will probably be the last bike I get and I want to do it right.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome Jim,
I went from a vulcan 2K and the wife wanted a better 2 up bike so we test drove a lot of bikes...
We both agreed that the Wing was the best by far.
I loved the power the 2000 had and was not disappointed in the Wing.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Ask " joe in calif " about aging and a Wing. He is selling his and it is offered here. I can't tell you what he is replacing it with because we are a Goldwing Forum ( wink, wink ). Talk to joe . P.S. At 56 you still have a good 10 + years left to ride the big one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Jim,
I was in the same place as you, had a shadow 1100 and loved it beign nimble and easy to ride around town. My wife did not mind riding it and we did several short rides (Less then 2 hours) but she did say she would not go on rides any longer. We have had the wing for a few weeks now and after the first hour (going to the cape) she said she could see going on a long ride out west on this!!! So if "her" confort is important you will not beat the wing.. Like you I have been on a bike for over 40 years but this being my first wing I was concerned about the size.. Well after 10 minutes I found it to be quick, fun and the easier to rider then most of the other bikes I have owned.. Highway riding, road imperfections, side winds all make the wing the best 2-UP machine out there. Experience does help when it coming to stops, tight turns and other extreme situations. As for power my bike is an '03 and sky is the limit, do not even give this a second thought.. Good Luck.....

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Welcome & greetings from Florida.
If you want all the comfort, the bells and whistles; go with the Wing and if you get to the point where you want to continue riding but certain physical problems crop up on you, you'll have a bike that makes a sweet trike. This way you can continue riding and enjoying the thrill.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Hi Jim
I'm 69 and still riding my 93 GL1500 Aspencade I bought in August of 93. This past June the wife and I rode from N.W. Washington State to Allentown Pennsylvania and back. So I'd say you got a few good years to enjoy a Wing.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
My first Wing had ABS My new one does not I like it better without,
Had no problems just did not care for it.
You can alway go trike if something happens which I hope nothing will happen to you or anyone,My wife and I already said we would go trike if something did,Goldwing is to hard to give up,But down sizing is good too if it keeps you riding

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello jim and welcome to GWOF

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Your just the right age for a wing... If you want ABS you have to go to the top of the line wing. If ABS is not a priority, then a base wing has a lot to offer for less $$. Whichever wing you buy I'm sure you will enjoy it as we do. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to the site Jim. The Concours is fine for one up riding, but a tad skimpy for two in the comfort dept. The LT is a terrific bike as well but maintenance on BMW's can be costly. The Wing is a delight to ride and is tops in the two up comfort zone.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ask " joe in calif " about aging and a Wing. He is selling his and it is offered here. I can't tell you what he is replacing it with because we are a Goldwing Forum ( wink, wink ). Talk to joe . P.S. At 56 you still have a good 10 + years left to ride the big one.
Welcome from Ontario Canada Jim. Joe in California is replacing the Wing with a Kawi C14, I believe. His Wing is posted on the forum and if I had the $, I'd scoop it. It looks immaculate.
Ride safe,
Strat

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Hi Jim, Welcome to the site.............I'm 67 5-7, 180 and just bought a new Wing this past summer. I have no problems handling it, I'm looking to buy a trailer for it soon. For long distance riding, you can't beat it.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Tracyk859 You are most welcome from Down Under

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Everybodys welcome here,,,,,,,,The new guys buy the coffee, J/K.........welcome to the site. Tell us a little about yourself.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi, I am Tracy . I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!
Hi TracyK,
Welcome from NE PA.
What do you ride and where are you from?
Sponge

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
New Goldwing

I made the decision to buy a Goldwing. I bought a new 08 Black ABS Wing and on 11/7/10, flew out to TN to make the purchase, and spent 5-days riding it home. The deal went down relatively smooth, but a few issues arose, some of which are still pending. I'll share my experience when everything is resolved as I want to give the dealer an opportunity to make things right and don't want to taint anything. I had beautiful weather for the ride home, had no problems on the road; it was a wonderfully surreal experience. The bike is awesome, I had two long days, 700+ miles, and felt pretty darn good at the end of the day when I got to the motel.

The most important thing, the wife approves of the purchase. I took her for a short ride this past Sunday and she really liked the bike. It's much easier on her than on my CBR 600 F4I. She's already suggesting destinations for multi-day trips.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts