Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I asked about repairs you would perform to identify tools needed.
I know this is has been discussed lately but want to save these notes for future reference. I can then post for newbies. I am starting with what I believe so add and subtract, no need to explain just change it as you see fit and see where it ends.

My choices are based on my opinion that most break downs are tire or electrical related. The 12 mm is to take off the seat to see the wires on a 1500. I don't know what size is needed for the others. I took my first thoughts and added what others had previously added that I thought were good ideas as well.

I know that a phillips and 10mm socket will just about strip 1500 to gain access to the entire bike.
I am not an expert nor am I right, just a place to start this off.

Must have tools:
small flashlight
quality digital tire guage
multiple tipped screwdriver with at least 2 blades and 2 phillips heads
a few plastic zip ties
needle nose pliers
electrical tape
8,10 and 12 mm socket with driver (may find screwdriver with driver)
check spare fuses in cover, make sure they are good ones.

Advanced tools:

voltage meter
slime air compressor
tire repair kit
#3 relay (brake and running lights in rear)
small spool of wire
mm allen wrench set
mm socket set

I do believe that one's ability will greatly affect what they want in their box so add what you want it might be good for some but not for others.

I almost forgot our most prestigous contributor south of the equator. Don't forget the hammer.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Where's the duct tape??

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
I will lay out the tools that Honda gives with the 1800 and post some pics along with the other tools I carry and where they are stored .

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
For the GL1500 the party number for the most of the relays, ie: relay 3 Part # OMRON 68M5-H30 12volt 20amp. Also (Pilot #NV-RY1) or Auto Zone 38370-MN5-003-20A the two in red I have not had chance to check out but have been told they will work, might need to trim some plastic off the base.

The OMRON Relay from Honda runs $25.00 to $30.00.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Tools are a bit of an individual's choice depending on experience and skill level. However, things I never leave home without are 1) owners manuals; 2) Goldbook; 3) cell phone; 4) emergency first aid kit. I carry the stock tools and my own 'additions' in the left saddlebag (stock location), and my manuals, first aid, and Goldbook go in the lower storage under the bottom trunk panel. That may have to change if I put the CB kit in. I kinda miss the fairing pockets from my older GLs for small items; the trunk cubbies help, but they have limited opening access IMO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I find this all in one tool to be really handy and compact plus you get great leverage with the multi blade screw drivers. The wire cutters,knife, punch,small saw blade and pliers are also a plus too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Not to be a smart a--.......I carry a cell phone, credit card and have AMA Roadside Assistance........I don't want to do repairs on the road...........

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Not to be a smart a--.......I carry a cell phone, credit card and have AMA Roadside Assistance........I don't want to do repairs on the road...........
I will agree with the thought process. I don't think you're out of line at all, However...... I can hear the grumbling now, Here goes Fossil on another of his Soap Box Rants.

Allow me to share some thoughts. On our trip (soon to be last year) we encountered issues with the bike going into the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Cell phone service was not good. We nursed it along & through areas pretty sparse. It was nice to have some tools along to help ourselves. Later in the trip while riding through Montana we encountered a road sign along the way that simply said the following, "Cell Phone Hot Spot". I kid you not. Picture being along a very light traveled road, not being within some miles of the aforementioned "Spot" & having no tools. Just saying it's never bad to be prepared.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's Opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good thoughts Bill.

When you start to analyse it, it isn't an easy answer or a one answer fits all.

Where you are, how far from home you are, and how familiar with your bike and what skill sets one has all affects the list.

Oldtimer, don't apologize, if we all thought alike, there would be no need to discuss this or anything else.

I think of guys in other countries that simply have no other resources but their skills and tools. If I were truly out on my own, I would have battery strapped to my back if there was no room in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Oldtimer, don't apologize, if we all thought alike, there would be no need to discuss this or anything else.

I think of guys in other countries that simply have no other resources but their skills and tools. If I were truly out on my own, I would have battery strapped to my back if there was no room in the trunk.
I've been to Baah Harbor Maine. I couldn't find a car jack to save my life in the whole state. I had to limp back to Massachusetts to get my spare tire on. Damn those independents.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is now official.
We need Wingstuff to contract a manufacturer to make a toolbox trailer complete with electric lifting capabilities.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Point well taken Fossil. Murphy has a habit of hiding from the unwary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts