Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Directed at you Ron (in the northwest corner) but also for anyone looking for a great ride in that neck of the woods. British Columbia has a fantastic highway (#6) that runs east of Vernon to the Arrow Lake ferry and then across the lake. From there you can go north to Revelstoke or south to Nelson. It's what I would call the Canadian version of Deal's Gap (aka the Dragon) only much longer and less crowded. Ron it's only a hop skip and jump from where you are. catch Hwy 20 east (not a bad ride itself) through Washington where it intersects 97 and go north up the Okanagan valley though Osoyoos and Penticton up to Vernon. Hwy 6 leaves the northern portion of the city through rolling hills and scrub cedar ranch land, and then wow! Twists, turns, up and down, a regular rollercoaster type motorcyclists dream road. The road north to Revy is nice, and the south track towards Nelson is gorgeous, following the lake a good stretch, and you can take a jog east some more into the Kooteney Lake area, also gorgeous. There's also hotsprings to soak in on the southern route and the entire region is gorgeous. It's our southwest corner, but it's right in your back yard as the Wing flies.:D

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
We have winger friends in Kamloops and have done some riding around there and have also been to Revelstoke on the way to Calgary one time but don't think we've ever been on Hwy 6.
We will be going up to Salmon Arm for the GWRRA Victoria Days Rally this spring. Might get a chance to go have a look see. If we don't get snowed on.
Thanks for the route.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried to make it to that one last year myself, but it didn't work out. It's a solid day's ride for me to get there, and with the Mrs it's more than that but you never know. May long (Victoria Day) weekend is notorious for surprise weather around here so it's a big time roll of the dice. Heck it snows in the Roger's Pass in July and August for crying out loud (not often but it happens). We had a Provincial rally cancelled due to snow some years back, anywhere from 6" to a foot of snow depending where in the province you were located:eek:

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
We are friends with the Chapter Director and his wife from Kamloops.
I can't remember where they were coming from but a bunch showed up at Salmon Arm last year that got snowed on getting there.
We left on Sunday last year and there was forcast of snow on the Coquahalla Hwy 5 so we rode Hwy 1 down the Canyon as the local call it. If you make it this year we'll be camped with the Host Chapter look us up.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Budoka,
Thanks for the directions. There is a note in my altas about Hwy 6, maybe someday I'll get way over there.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Budoka,
Thanks for the directions. There is a note in my altas about Hwy 6, maybe someday I'll get way over there.
Crownfire: you have to cross the border someplace, if it happens to be Sumas, Washington. Give us a call we are only about 3 1/2 miles from the border.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Crownfire: you have to cross the border someplace, if it happens to be Sumas, Washington. Give us a call we are only about 3 1/2 miles from the border.
Ron
It'll be when I ride US 2 from Michigan west. Probably be a while.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
It'll be when I ride US 2 from Michigan west. Probably be a while.
Be sure to Stop in Leavenworth, Washington when pass through, a beautiful little Bavarian Town right a the base of the east slope of the Cascades. Once over on the west side a few miles after you go through Monroe look for Hwy 9 north. A really nice ride on secondary highway, will bring almost past my back door. The coffee will be on, and maybe some fresh road kill on the grill.;)
Ron

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Sweet! I wasn't far from there a few years ago. I worked a fire (the Tripod fire) that burned between Conconully and Winthrop. Beautiful area. The fruit stands on the way to Winatchee were wonderful after working in a fire camp for three weeks. The beer that night was good also.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Sweet! I wasn't far from there a few years ago. I worked a fire (the Tripod fire) that burned between Conconully and Winthrop. Beautiful area. The fruit stands on the way to Winatchee were wonderful after working in a fire camp for three weeks. The beer that night was good also.
I think it was four years ago in mid July GWRRA Washington District had their rally at the Fair Grounds in Okanogan, there was a Fire Camp there during the rally, you weren't part of that crew were you ??
Ron

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
The Tripod fire was in 2006. We had a camp by the lake at Conconully on the east side and north of Winthrop on the Chewuch Road. It was a pretty big fire that burned until the snow flew and all the way into Canada. One day I need to travel to all the places I've worked fires so as to see what they are like. We stay pretty busy and might get a few hours on the last day to look around before being sent home.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
The Tripod fire was in 2006. We had a camp by the lake at Conconully on the east side and north of Winthrop on the Chewuch Road. It was a pretty big fire that burned until the snow flew and all the way into Canada. One day I need to travel to all the places I've worked fires so as to see what they are like. We stay pretty busy and might get a few hours on the last day to look around before being sent home.
I used to deer hunt just east of Conconully around Fish Lake. There are a couple big valleys that I used to love to poke around in on horse back.
And Winthrop, is on our Ice cream or Lunch ride list during the summer. It's about 150 miles from home, Hwy 20 over the Cascades is a beautiful ride ( it is closed during the winter). If you get out here we'd love to show you around.
And we won't do any smoked meats.:)
Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts