Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my Wing last Friday and have over 300 miles. Wow! What a ride. A sport bike on roids for sure. I look forward to learning a lot from this forum And also hope to contribute as well.
My question today is about mounting my Tom Tom Rider 2. (I opted for the base model since I didn't really think 2800 or so for gps and xm was worth it to me.) I want to drill 2 small holes in the top of the handlebar and tap threads in them to mount gps. Any one have thoughts on drilling the holes regarding the integrity of the handle bar?:confused:

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
welcome to the GWOF.
What year wing is it. Might look into the Ram mount system.

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Can't help with the mount any different than Ron because I use paper map, but I will welcome you to the GWOF.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
I would NOT drill holes in your bars. There are so many mounting brackets made for the Wing.

Welcome to the forum from VA.& post some pictures please!

Mark

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't know who makes it but I have one that mounts on the tupper ware just in front of the key. Its plenty far enough away to see it well and it doesn't obstruct the view of the instrumentation.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
hello upon2, welcome to GWOF. take a look on the wingstuff website for device mounts

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
I use a RAM mount gor my gps that you mentioned as it hooks in at the clutch side. It has a short piece that goes up from it and I angle it back some and it works great. You should look into that instead of drilling into the handle bar. I'm thinking that wouldn't be a good idea but have no fact to support that.

Welcome from Mississippi.

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
I would have to side with W1ngin1t on this one. I don't think drilling into the bars is the best option. Check out all options before you opt for that one..

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
U, I've got to side with the others on this. I don't know what year or model you have, but on my '03, and probably all GL1800s, the handlebar controls on both sides enter the handlebar about halfway down. I'm definetly not drilling there and I'm not letting anyone else either. There are so many options, including clamps that wrap around the bars, I just don't see a need.

My GPS is mounted to the left controls clamp with an extension that raises it up high enough so I don't have to take my eyes very far from the road, but being over to the side, it also doesn't block my view of any guages, instruments or dash controls. This is probably the most commonly used style of mount and location.

Wind bender makes a farkle shelf that mounts with the windshield (their windsheild is not required) and sits above the speedo/tach/guages for an even higher location. I'm certainly not reccommending it, but an IBA rider could make a little holder up there for his McNuggets and fries.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Welcome Upon2. If I have your GPS coordinates correct, you're an instant member of the PA/VA breakfast ride meet and greet gang.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome from the snow belt Upon. Check out all the options for device mounting before drilling anything. Might not be an issue at all, but you'd hate to be wrong!:eek:

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
Drilling: The process process of removing material to make a hole.

Handle Bars: The device which controls a (900 Pound) machine.

Removing material that controls the machine, does not seem like an intelligent move.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Upon2, Welcome from KY. Very fine folks here and nothing but positive vibes all around. Keep us posted on your endeavor and if I can figure out how to post pics (took me a LONG time) you can as well :D

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Upon2, what did you finally do for your mount?

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum Upon2. Waiting till they clean up the roads to get mine out. RAM mounts are the way to go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.