Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been into bikes for years, I'm looking at a 92 but it has 138k on it, anything I need to look for, what goes wrong with this year bike, and is that too high of miles to worry about. Thanks.

the guy wants to trade me for my project car that I have maybe $2500 into. So that's what the bike will basically cost me. I'm gonna look at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
The bike is probably worth about $5,000. Check to see if he has service records on it. At that mileage you will be looking at replacing the timing belts, alternator brushes, maybe fork seals, and fluids, brake and clutch, anti-freeze, if he has done some of this than you can feel pretty safe in getting it. The 1500's will run over 300,000 miles if the owner takes care of them with oil changes and regular maintenance. I had a 92 and it had 108,000 milesd on it when I sold it and it was running like new. Probably my favotite bike.The only reason I sold it was I got a heck of a deal on a 98 SE.

·
Super Moderator
15,120 Posts
when i was looking to buy a wing a few years ago ( didn't have either wing then ) i test rode a '92 aspencade with 147xxx miles on it and it ran as good as any of the others i test rode with fewer miles

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I installed a 10 pack CD player in the trunk of my 92. It was a car unit that played over a blank FM channel. I mounted the control by the left handle bar. it worked great.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Parts should be easy to come by for a 92 I'm sure one of the guys on this site will give you a website link or heads up for parts in your area.Try cleaning the windshield first then use rainX so the water will bead off in the rain. If its scratched up you'll have to replace it. Goldwings are made to last so if the engine is tight 134k is'nt bad at all.The radio might have a bad contact in the channel changer,sometimes spraying with electrical contact cleaner works if you can get at it.Sounds like nothing seriously wrong just minor issues. Good Luck.

-Robert-

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
nikogto and bstar, Most all things I've read about motorcycle windscreens is to NOT use rainx. Its a great product for use on glass surfaces but not on polycarbonate like is used on our bikes. There are a number of specific products available for windshields but my dealer recommends using a good quality wax like you would use on the rest of the bike to polish get good beading of raindrops.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey thanks for that info sr71 , I honestly was'nt sure about rainX and polycarbonate,
The idea is good to make the water bead off for better visibilty but rainX then is harmful
and others will see this too.I'll use wax. The info we get like this from the GWOF is why we're here. :)

·
Administrator
28,870 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Try Meguiars PlastX on your shield,it's really good stuff. I use SlipStreamer regularly before i ride,is great antifog and makes shield super slick. Good bike shops have it or get online about $7 a can.

·
Registered
126 Posts
When looking for parts for your 92 check out ebay. If you need it chances are you can find it there at a very reasonable price. I picked up a set of rotor covers with brackets, bolts, plugs in real nice shape for 42 dollars. I also picked up a set of right handlebar switches (needed the cruise switch) that had a Kurakyn grip and throttle boss attatched to it for 27 dollars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.