Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a loss. I started looking at helmets and the price range is CRAZY :eek:. I have a HJC that fits fine and does what helmets do.
Anyway what my question is, Why would I spend $400 on a Arai or Shoei when I can spend $100 on a HJC? Please refrain from saying is your life worth a cheap helmet. All brans (mine even says SNELL approved) are DOT approved so why does the others cost so much more and for those who wear the more expensive why do you think it is worth it? I am wiling to spend money IF I can figure why it would be worth it. THANKS for all feed back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would need to see safety data to prove that a $400 helmet is better and what makes it better. I bought a $300.00 one for the sled, but I was looking for features other than safety that drove the decision. On the Wing I rock a HJC full face, flip up visor, flip up entire front, and, with a touch of a buton, I can pull down the sun visor. I think it was $189.
Randy

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I like the idea of being Snell approved, other than that, I'm like you. What's the difference that makes some so much more than others ???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Read the test that Motorcyclest had about a year back. They found out that the cheeper polleycarbonite ( Plastic) helmet was safer that the high priced ones. The shell absorbes more that the hard high priced ones. It is all in there report. Good reading Oh by the way stick with the HJC it ranked as one of the best.

Papa Smurf

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Ditto on what Papa Smurf says. The helmet tests DON'T use price as a criteria for safety marks. My IS-33 has as good or better impact results as my Arai Vector at 1/3 the price, and the Vector was a special price deal from Honda, retail on the Vector was over $700:eek: Don't get me wrong, the Vector is a fine helmet except it fogs too darn easily, and a Pinlock should stop that, but then it's another $100:(

·
Super Moderator
7,665 Posts
After having read some time ago about that helmets need to be replaced every five years, I just buy a reasonably priced one that is DOT approved.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I posted an article here back a few months ago. Might be the same one mentioned above. It is long a boring but good if you want details.

That said: the rating is a wedge spliting a helmet twice in same place-no accident in real life has ever been recorded where a wedge shaped object split a helmet much less twice. He ran tests on helmets where it impacts a piece of concrete (which is what most often happens).

What you get out of this article may be the opposite of what I got, so read it, don't take my advise.
copy and paste the words "motorcyclistonline.com" into the search above and click the radio button to "show post" you will see the old posting here.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html is the linkk to the article.

What I got out of the article:
-DOT and Snell have nothing to do with a helmet being a safe helmet and neither does price: they used what was available at the time and not very accurate. But now it's the standard and well you know it's hard to change the gov't.
-Heavy helmets at high speed can be deadly in that they add weight to the "pendelum affect" which was what killed Dale Earnhart. But they are better protection at low speed.
-Lightweight helmets don't offer much at any speed but aren't as dangerous at high speeds, i.e, the extra weight won't snap your neck at sudden impact.

In the end, it was almost more confusing and found no perfect solution.
I decided to wear what was comfortable and at least DOT.
I wear 1/2 in hot weather, I can see and hear better -no it's not perfect.
I wear full in cool/cold weather-not perfect either but again I am comfortable.

I also found that Scorpion is highly rated. almost that of Arai. For$135 bucks. Full helmet is Very comfortable to me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I read the reports before I bought a helmet and was more confused after reading the myriad of reviews/tests. I ended up with 2 HJC's. Flip up front full face (for cold weather) and a 3/4 flip up visor type for warmer weather. Both have the built in retractable sun shade. I am fine with the DOT rating on each. I am not fine with spending $400+ to have carbon fiber or kevlar around my noggin knowing they may not be any better in an accident. I like the fit and weight of the HJC's. Only negative is they are a bit noisy but flip up full face helmets and 3/4's tend to be anyway. That said, I will buy another HJC down the road. I recommend you get a helmet that fits correctly, is comfortable and ride safe.
Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts