Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i purchased a gl 1500 1992 about 3 weeks ago everything was fine but twice now i have suffered severe wobble i have took it to the honda dealer were the mechanic took it for a spin and said everything was fine as i thought the steering head bearings were gone. was out the other day and done about 60 miles no probs then when i went to go round a long sweeping left hand bend the steering felt strange then the bike would`nt turn handle bars were stiff and it wouldnt lean it just wanted to go straight on ,it was the same going round roundabouts was totaly crapping myself when i straighten up an was on a nice smooth part of the road i took my hands about 1mm off the bars and they were shaking/vibrating uncontrollably has any1 had this problem it comes then goes does any1 know how to solve this,is it the steering bearings can anybody please help? :eek:

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Do you see any cupping in the front tire or where you might have lost a weight. Also check the rear tire for the same. How about tire pressure or air pressure in the front and rear suspension?

·
Registered
6 Posts
wobbley wing

when i first purchased my 85 gl 1200 it also had a case of the wobbles,i took my bike to a local mechanic and had the sreeringhead bearings adjusted and no more wobble ,bike now has 90,000 miles and still no wobble,it would shake violently on a coast down at 35-45 mph mostly. i also installed progressive suspension front springs and a super brace on the front fork which were both good additions in the handling department.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If it doesn't wobble all the time as you said it happened twice now, than maybe it didn't do it when the mechanic was riding it,. that happens a lot. I would say the steering head bearings could be bad or loose, also check your tires, are the worn or cupped or out of balance what air pressure are you running in them?

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi ghost, put the GW on the center stand an jack the front wheel off the ground. sit on the seat an turn the h/bars left to right feeling for a tight spot. also stand in front an pull on the front wheel to see if there is any play or tight spots. the steering should not be tight an the wheel should slowly an smoothly fall to the stops when you hands are removed from the bars. they should not be super free to fall. good luck

·
Registered
91 Posts
If as you say, you could not turn the handlebars, then it can only be the steering head bearings. Nothing else would prevent the bars from turning (Unless you have an aftermarket steering damper fitted that has seized up). I would be taking the steering head apart and checking/replacing the head bearings.. Riding bikes is exciting enough without having to constantly wonder if you will get round the next bend..

Gary

·
Registered
129 Posts
As Trasherg said, it could only be the steering bearings preventing you from turning the handlebars. I have seen them brake and the broken pcs. could jamb the bearing and come back out again. And do rebalance the tire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
cheers guys for all the help phoned the dealer and after a few if`s an butts its going to get the steering head bearings and wheel bearings replaced and he`s gonna meet me half way with the bill also my friend came round last nite and asked if i had checked the tyre pressure and it was down front had next to nothing and back was`nt much better so inflated them both correctly but the valves were mega hissing out air as i was trying to fill them so valves are getting replaced and will probally replace tyre`s bike rode much better but still that niggle in the front end will update asap when all work is done an wots been done incase anybody has a similar problem thanks again for all your help .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts