Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 Honda Goldwing gL 1200 with a conversion that has allowed the front and back brakes to be used on the back brake pedal I hate this set up I need to know what I would have to do to bring it back to both independent breaks I just picked it up as a restoration project and I do not know much about gold wings this is my first time driving a gold wing and I love driving in over my Harley that I got rid of but I need help with metric bikes can somebody please help

·
Registered
668 Posts
No problem you will need to see where the front and rear brakes lines have been interconnected normally with some sort of proportioning valve, remove it then install the factory brake lines then bleed the system.if this is not an aftermarket add on system I would suggest leaving it alone. If they hacked up the factory brake lines it may prove expensive replacing the needed lines.

·
Administrator
29,074 Posts
I have a 1985 Honda Goldwing gL 1200 with a conversion that has allowed the front and back brakes to be used on the back brake pedal I hate this set up I need to know what I would have to do to bring it back to both independent breaks I just picked it up as a restoration project and I do not know much about gold wings this is my first time driving a gold wing and I love driving in over my Harley that I got rid of but I need help with metric bikes can somebody please help
Actually it may not be a conversion. It is intended that way from the Factory on the Aspencade. The foot brake pedal operates the right disc-front wheel & the rear brakes at the same time when applied. The had brake lever operates the left disc-front wheel when it is applied.

I'm not suggesting that you can't modify it. I'm just informing you that it probably wasn't modified.

By the way welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone State.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
Hi KayleesDaddy, from a fellow '85 1200 Aspencade owner! Yep, the linked braking system is stock on that unit. Confused the heck out of me when I first saw it!:confused: As mentioned, you'll get used to it, or I guess you can change it like knelson describes.

Running fine otherwise? They are a sweet bike, especially the Aspencades. Does your suspension compressor work OK? Nice feature.

Have a lot of fun, hopefully with Kaylee! My daughter still talks about the rides we made all over the Southeast US 15-20 years ago! Enjoy your memory-making machine!

·
Registered
183 Posts
My 86 1200 interstate has that brake system, where the foot pedal works both, yeah ya do get used to it. but i would prefer to use my brakes separate. I had a left turner cross me back in 08 on my 82 1100 with separate brakes. I do believe locking up the rear and going into her sideways saved me. call me control freak but i like separate brakes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.