Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is the delima....88 1500 I belive it has the stock seat after riding for about an hour i get BENCH BUTT...it is like sitting on a woodin bench and verry painfull...Bought a gel pad Its ok...Bottom line I need a seat. I looked at Corbin Utopia and Ultamit....I really don't want to spend almost a Grand for a seat..I looked at Diomand and Hartco...People spoke well about them i think still pricy at $729....I found a stock 99 SE goldwing seat (NEW) 2 tone black sides and grey seating with pass backrest for about $325...do you think my seat fome id spent..should i buy the stock seat or spend the money for the Hartco.....Plase help....:eek:

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
The seat on your 1988 is probably shot and the one from the 99 would be much better, I have the original seat on my 93 and I am trying to get another one, as it's perfect. I'd go with the Wing seat.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Agree with trike lady, the 88 stock is likely shot, regarless of the miles. I'm riding a 2000SE and my seat was done, even with air inserts that someone had added before me. I put a Corbin on sometime after hitting 100K. You'll get tons of opinions on seats, best suggestion is to find someone with a seat your interested in and try to ride on it. The $$ are scary, but the right seat is worth every penny.

·
Registered
515 Posts
By the way, have you checked into having someone rebuild the seat you have? Keep in mind the 1500 finished production in 2000, any stock seat you purchase for it is already old...

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I had a Saddleman Road Sofa on my 98 GL1500 SE and loved it. Best investment I made for my butt. Cost was around $675. Don't know what they are now, but you might want to take a look. You can't enjoy the ride if your not comfortable. Ride safe...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way, have you checked into having someone rebuild the seat you have? Keep in mind the 1500 finished production in 2000, any stock seat you purchase for it is already old...
The stock seat i am looking at is brand new from Honda...Honda still produces one seat for the 1500

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a Saddleman Road Sofa on my 98 GL1500 SE and loved it. Best investment I made for my butt. Cost was around $675. Don't know what they are now, but you might want to take a look. You can't enjoy the ride if your not comfortable. Ride safe...

I looked at the Saddleman and it was $970 way out of my price range....I think the Hartco or Diomand would be the most i would spend for a seat at $729....

I talked with 2 apposteres and both of them are around $400-$500...for the money i dont belive that is a good value whean i can purchase a new Honda seat for around $320

It is a tough decision and their is a big differance between New stack and a Hartco....$729 verses $320....more than double...But it could also be a $320 dollar mistake if their is no improvement over the seat i have....I dont think that will happen becaus I beleive my seat is the original seat...and a 2x8 would probbley be an upgrade....but it is still a big decision .....

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
It is a tough decision and their is a big differance between New stack and a Hartco....$729 verses $320....more than double...But it could also be a $320 dollar mistake if their is no improvement over the seat i have....I dont think that will happen becaus I beleive my seat is the original seat...and a 2x8 would probbley be an upgrade....but it is still a big decision .....
I still have the stock seat on my 1800 and it works fine for me. I did buy a gel cushion from Walmart for about $20 and I carry it on the bike just in case I get uncomfortable on long trips. Good luck and I hope you find a good fit for your butt...

·
Registered
87 Posts
How long are you going to keep this bike?
How many miles are you going to put on this bike?

I just purchased a new Goldwing and I'm planning to put LOTS of miles on this bike...
I purchased a Hartco seat and I LOVE it.:D Money well spent.

So the long and short of it is how much use will you put into this seat?
And how much money do you want to spend?

Enjoy riding and be safe.
Tom

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The Honda seat seems like a dollar wise choice to me, that's less than half the price of the Hartco or Diamond, but it's all bunk if the seat isn't comfortable for you. I don't have any issues with my stock seat yet, but my bike is only two years old. They do break down over time so I'll be replacing it one day. I'm thinking Hartco but it depends if there is a heat option available when I change.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How many miles are you going to put on this bike?I just purchased a new Goldwing and I'm planning to put LOTS of miles on this bike...
I purchased a Hartco seat and I LOVE it.:D Money well spent.

So the long and short of it is how much use will you put into this seat?
And how much money do you want to spend?

Enjoy riding and be safe.
Tom
BINGO...thats the rite thought you hit the nail on the head

How many miles are you going to put on this bike?

Lets look at that question its a 1988 still in Great shape with 105,000 miles on it I got it last year from my wife and kids on farthers day...but i would like to step up to an 1800....maby in a year or two...waighting to see what changes Honda is going to make in 2012...I may buy new....You and two wheel ansured my question i will buy the stock seat and if i need a jel pad i will buy one of thoes....My bike isnt going to be wourth a grand more even if i was to put on a $5000 seat......THANKS ...Thats why i belive in Forrums.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts