Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so anyway,I'm washing my baby todayand,i noticed how dirty my rims were.There appeared to be black grease on the rear wheel,yes,the whole rim!!So I tried to wash it off,guess what?Soap did not touch it!!It appears to be corrosion,and or brake dust.She has about 2000 miles on the clock.It is a very hard,crusty coating.So,I tried goop hand cleaner,since it is a mild type detergent grease buster.I scrubbed and scraped( with my fingernails only)with only partial removal of the crap!!!One hour 20 mins. later guess what?Both rims still have lots-o-crusty black [email protected]! on them!!!Needless to say I'm pretty pissed!!Has anyone else encountered this crusty sh$# phenom,if so whats the fix?If not,can someone help me investigate this,I'm very disappointed!!!And thanks again to all for previous help given,you guys are very knowlegable!!signed pissed in Indiana

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
The curse of the brake dust. Get some Bronze Wool ( not steel wool ) from the hardware store, a can of Mother's or Maguier's aluminum/mag polish and get rubbing. We will work on the alternative protective coating layer options later. Hurry, before your wheel turns purple.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Agree with chopin on the polish, make sure what you use is for ALUMINUM, read the product label. I've never used the brass wool but you might consider the mini powerball from Mothers, it attaches to a drill, lessens the labor effort. I've seen the black wheels of an 1800 shine again using a polish from phaze one, you can check it out at www.phazeonepolish.com . Don't think the wheels come with a factory "finish" unless you do it yourself or otherwise, after cleaning the wheels of my 1500, I apply a good paste wax. After hard rides, I either hose them off and wipe dry or use pledge furniture polish to clean the dust off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts