Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,
ALways have great success with my questions here. So gonna try another one.

This is related to a 2005 goldwing non-abs.

I've noticed an intermittent scraping/rubbing sound and it sounds like it's coming from the dash area. It occurs whether bike is in gear or neutral with engine running and stationary or moving. Hard to tell if it increases with increase rpm but don't think so. It sounds like it's coming from the ignition or dashboard area. I thought perhaps tach cable? What else? Any ideas?

It's a puzzler. I will be pulling off the windscreen to replace so I can get a better look than but just was hoping someone could give some advice on this.

Thanks
CHris

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
No guess here. Just curiosity right now . It couldn't be a mouse nest? It's been known to happen. Truth is stranger than fiction.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
hard to diagnose thru this lousy camera

Just going to have to look around. maybe a twig or something blew in from between the forks and lodged in under the handlebars.

I would turn the front wheel left and right and put weight with the motor off in hopes of hearing something.

I don't know 1800s but I guess if my speedo came undone it would be spinning but it wouldn't registar a speed on the dash.

Happy hunting, sorry couldn't be more help.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
It sounds engine related. So my guess would be something that has to move while the engine is running. Tach needle (which should change sounds when reved), alternator (bushings, belts) are the only things that come to mind that would make a scraping sound

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If it is a squealing noise, I had a problem with my Tach cable when Temps were real cold !

·
Registered
117 Posts
Shouldn't be a tach cable on a GL 1800 it's electronic like my 1500. I'd look inside the fairing first and work out from there. My grand daughter dropped a foam cup down my fairing and I almost left the bike when it popped in the first right turn.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
My money would be on a critter/insect or foreign material inside the fairing. Bugs and leaves and such can get in the speaker enclosures through the fairing gaps, so why not inside te fairing as well? Is puzzling though.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Just had a couple from Canada stop by yesterday afternoon, he was telling about a noise he had in the dash area of his 1800. What he found was the electric head light adjuster was running continuously. Only way he could stop it was to unplug a connector in the right hand fairing pocket. That stop the motor and of course a few other things. Sounds like something wrong with one of the brains on the wing. At this point he's not sure what yet.
Don't know if this is your problem but it might be a place to start looking.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DING DING DING!! RON

Took it to the MC shop and let the goldwing tech check it out, that's exactly what he found, he said he'd never seen this happen before. So at least good to know now

Thanks to all who offered input!!

Chris

Just had a couple from Canada stop by yesterday afternoon, he was telling about a noise he had in the dash area of his 1800. What he found was the electric head light adjuster was running continuously. Only way he could stop it was to unplug a connector in the right hand fairing pocket. That stop the motor and of course a few other things. Sounds like something wrong with one of the brains on the wing. At this point he's not sure what yet.
Don't know if this is your problem but it might be a place to start looking.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thanks for correcting me, knowledge on newer rides is very little!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts