Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have attached a couple of photos I attempted to get to show where leaking is - you can see the spot on the ground. I also tried to take pic underneath bike, but that was hard - not to clear. I see color on paper towel is pale green so I'm thinking it's antifreeze??? After heating up bike for 10 mins I hear a faint repeating whirring noise coming from that area - is this the water pump???? I just want to get an idea before I have tow come to take to shop which is 40 miles away, so I may have an idea what I'm in for. Any replies and suggestions will certainly be appreciated.:confused::(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
The water pump is more towards the center of the bike. I'd check your hoses and connections.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
i hope you don't have a blown head gasket

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Get down on the floor with a flash light and see if it's coming out of the weep hole just behind the water pump.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
If it's coolant it will be green in color, what color is it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys - the color on the paper towel is pale green so I'm thinking it's coolant - my bike is being towed to shop tomorrow - :(

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Gosh, I hate to think of such expense for what might just be 1-2 turns of a lower clamp srew!:eek: Then again my cheapness is well established!:eek:

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Hopefully it's not too expensive or serious, best of luck. What year is your 1500?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Chased small coolant leak,a long time. Smell of antifreeze was how i knew it was there. Then on floor, after much frustration found baked o ring's on water pipes was cause of leaks. Not hoses, pump,radiators, or other things. You could see stains on top of motor, after you removed front side cover with a good flashlight. Hope this helps you

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
GYPSYGAL,
Please let us know what the shop finds, I think I have a small coolant leak in my 1500 as well, I smell antifreeze occasionally, I don't see coolant on the ground yet but when I warm up the bike in the mornings sometimes I also see smoke and smell coolant like it is burning on the exhaust pipes when it is left on the side stand over night. I am just monitoring my leak right now keeping an eye on the over flow tank to see how fast the coolant disappears. Mine appears to be small.....at least for now.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Another source of leaks on the 1500 is the tape that Honda put on the radiator and water pump tubes, it dries and cracks after years and coolant weeps through the cracks in the tape. If you remove the front cowls and radiator schield see the connection.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Chances are the O'rings are your leak.Pull your front side cover off, left & right, shine a good source of light behind plugs on the top of the motor. Chances are, you'll have coolant stain's, look till you see chrome pipes, running side to middle. That was the source of my leak's. Quite a bit of dissambly, but not that big of a deal, if you don't like the smell of coolant.Left side was the worst, but you don't loose much coolant more of an irration, than any thing else. triwing

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine ended up being the tube in the top of the puke tank. $3.20 fix and 20 minutes to get the thing pushed in the tank.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately for me, the shop says I need a water pump for my 1999 GL1500SE - on top of that they found that my clutch fluid was leaking on to the exhaust too! I have absolutely no motorcycle mechanic skills, aside from checking my oil and tire pressure, so I have to rely on a shop for repairs. Thank you all for your advice and comments.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Saddened to hear you need the water pump, Possable slave cylinder rebuild might be in your near future.Goodbye to a few Ben's. Hopefully next year will be better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Triwing - clutch slave cylinder being done over too! Water pump, o rings, shifter shaft, exhaust gaskets, muffler gaskets, etc. Many $$$$$ but I can't do it myself and I love my Goldwing trike! I live on the coast in SE north Carolina and I can pretty much ride my bike all year and I miss her already! Next year will definitely be better!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Make sure they get the muffler bearing reinstalled correctly!

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Unfortunately for me, the shop says I need a water pump for my 1999 GL1500SE - on top of that they found that my clutch fluid was leaking on to the exhaust too! I have absolutely no motorcycle mechanic skills, aside from checking my oil and tire pressure, so I have to rely on a shop for repairs. Thank you all for your advice and comments.
When one is lacking in mechanical skills it pays sometimes to act like you know enough to ask to see what they found even though you may not know what you're looking at. That can sometimes catch fraudulent charges. I'm convinced it still happens occasionally where and when the opportunities arrises.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got a leak in the cooling system,
1993 1500 gl SE w/ 230,000 miles. Not the pump even though drip is right under it. Puddle on right side top of engine travels down and along front engine cover. Hose clamps tight and no leaks traveling from main hoses. My pump has the two small hoses and there is no wetness on them. Any help?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts