Honda Goldwing Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for all the input folks. I'll be updating the map over the next few months. One of the things I want to maintain is flexibility. I'm trying very hard not to have to be anywhere on any particular time schedule so that I can stop and see the things that I want to see for as long as I want to see them.

Great ideas and info, thanks a lot.

Steve

Reactions: Jinx

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Check out sturgeon fishing on the Columbia River. Nothing like landing a 9ft 300 lb freshwater fish. Did an 8 hour charter just below the Bonneville Dam and caught 5 fish the smallest and only keeper was 5.5 Ft. all the rest were over 6 ft.

Now all you have to do is add another month to your trip and you will be all set.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Check out sturgeon fishing on the Columbia River. Nothing like landing a 9ft 300 lb freshwater fish. Did an 8 hour charter just below the Bonneville Dam and caught 5 fish the smallest and only keeper was 5.5 Ft. all the rest were over 6 ft.

Now all you have to do is add another month to your trip and you will be all set.

Sounds like 2 months won’t do it.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
After my mandatory retirement nap I remembered route 14/14a through Big Horn National Park in Wyoming. Some incredible roads and scenery to ride and see. Also if you are going to the Bad lands when you exit the highway take a right and check out Wall Drugs. It is a big tourist trap.

Now back to my nap.
I saw where some guys assumed a ccw route, I myself assumed a cw route. :dunno: Did I miss it somewhere?

Actually echoing Eddie's thoughts here Steve. Once you head over the Bearstooth when you get to Red Lodge, instead of continuing North it is very worthwhile to run back part of the Bearstooth until you get to Rt. 296 and the Chief Joseph Highway. J/I actually enjoyed this ride more than the Bearstooth and that will dump you out in Cody (great little place like Ron said) and access to 14 or 14A as Eddie pointed out. Again J/I enjoyed 14 through Shell canyon more than 14A but both have great scenic items and roads. This also puts you right back on I-90 in Ranchester and since you have ridden in Montana by getting to Red Lodge some nicer roads than an Interstate.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...iews-Chief_Joseph_Scenic_Highway-Wyoming.html

Reactions: Jinx

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I saw where some guys assumed a ccw route, I myself assumed a cw route. :dunno: Did I miss it somewhere?

Actually echoing Eddie's thoughts here Steve. Once you head over the Bearstooth when you get to Red Lodge, instead of continuing North it is very worthwhile to run back part of the Bearstooth until you get to Rt. 296 and the Chief Joseph Highway. J/I actually enjoyed this ride more than the Bearstooth and that will dump you out in Cody (great little place like Ron said) and access to 14 or 14A as Eddie pointed out. Again J/I enjoyed 14 through Shell canyon more than 14A but both have great scenic items and roads. This also puts you right back on I-90 in Ranchester and since you have ridden in Montana by getting to Red Lodge some nicer roads than an Interstate.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...iews-Chief_Joseph_Scenic_Highway-Wyoming.html

Thank you Bill. The plan is CCW. It has a lot to do with weather and the southern route back.

Steve

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
If you get to ride Bear Tooth, be sure to get a photo of yourself at the sign in front of the store at the top of the world and posted it here, and I'll send you the membership certificate to the GWOF's Bear Tooth Clan.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Thank you Bill. The plan is CCW. It has a lot to do with weather and the southern route back.

Steve

So in that case unless for some reason you need or want to do the big loop in Montana, you can jump off I-90 in Ranchester,then run 14 or 14A over to Cody. Hit the Chief Joseph 1st, then to Beartooth over to Red Lodge, run it back again past the Chief Joseph and off on your way to Yellowstone.

:pokeit:

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
If you get to ride Bear Tooth, be sure to get a photo of yourself at the sign in front of the store at the top of the world and posted it here, and I'll send you the membership certificate to the GWOF's Bear Tooth Clan.
You mean I have to go back to Beartooth and take a picture just to get a damn hat ? O what the hell I think I can suffer though another Xcountry trip for a hat. :grin2:

Bill

I have only once gone cw and that was because I had to be in Phoenix on a certain date.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
You mean I have to go back to Beartooth and take a picture just to get a damn hat ? O what the hell I think I can suffer though another Xcountry trip for a hat. :grin2:

Bill

I have only once gone cw and that was because I had to be in Phoenix on a certain date.

Eddie we did our CrossCountry in 2010 cw because for us we left in June (in the south before it was really hot) through July (in the North so the Going to the Sun Highway would be open). When we went to Cody for the M&G and Canada we went cw as well...........When we went to the Southern trip a few years ago we went cw too! :Suspicious:

Oh wait when we went to NE and Canada we went "ccw"............phew! I was starting to worry that we only went cw :knockknock:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
What do they say about toilets in the northern hemisphere?

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Reactions: fossil92

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts

Bill

To be clear, there is no HAT involved it's a Certificate, you want a Hat you got to buy one while you are up there.:frown2::wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Steve, I fully agree with that riding Beartooth Pass in both directions is an excellent way to see it all.

In 2015, a large group of GWOF met in Cody for a M&G. For that, I took my grandson, Chance. He was 14 at the time. We first went to Rapid City for two nights. Rode thru Badlands NP, rode Iron Mountain Road, Needles Highway, stopped at Mt Rushmore, and Custer State Park. We did not ride the Wildlife Loop in Custer and I know now that was a big mistake. While in Cody for three nights, we did Beartooth, Shell Falls, Ten Sleep Canyon, and Yellowstone. Wind River Canyon and Pike's Peak on the way home. Chance said for him, Badlands was the highlight of the whole trip, even better than Yellowstone.

The following year I took his older brother, RC, on the same trip, adding the Wildlife Loop. I have since apologized to Chance a hundred times for not taking him on that loop. This year I hope to take their younger sister, Amberly, on the same trip. Every time she and I talk about it, Chance gets a big grin on his face and just keeps nodding his head. It was three years ago, and Chance is still enjoying it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steve, in September and October of 2016, my wife and I (we’re in our 70s) rode a Harley Heritage Softail Classic, two up, ccw from Maryland along the northern route, down the west coast, and back along a southern route. It was 8,000 miles and we took a little over a month so we could visit relatives in Oregon. On the little Softail we averaged 250-300 miles per day with sightseeing, etc. You can do much better on a Wing. The main reason I’m writing is regarding motels. Our practice was to ride till around two or three in the afternoon and based on where we were and how much further we wanted to ride, my wife would use her motel app to find available motels in the town we wanted to get to. Then, she would call and make reservations for that night. By calling by three o’clock we rarely had a problem getting a room in the motel we wanted. On the couple of times that first motel was booked we could always get a room in another one or at the next town. So, for the most part, you don’t have to make reservations way ahead. BTW, in late September we had to forgo the Bear Tooth because it was closed that day because of snow. Have a great time. We’re planning on either Alaska this summer or another ride around America. We now have a Wing so it should be easier and faster.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Welcome along @Longrider to the GWOF and now that you have spoken up, hang with us and converse a bit more. We have a great bunch of folks here.........(except @ironhorse54 (Eddie), he's the greatest!).

By the way sound advice, because hotels will also usually get cancellations right around the early afternoons too. That style of traveling never worked for us because my wife just wants to know where she is laying her head that night so we take a different approach. I will say that I think your idea is very sound.

Reactions: Longrider

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Steve along those lines. What jaNICE and I do is we will determine where we want to stop and spend time (sightsee).Then we will find a close hotel that serves breakfast/or has a restaurant in it/next door. We ride to that hotel, next morning eat breakfast before getting on the bike, then head right to the attraction in the early am. Of course you have to coordinate operating hours, but by doing that you get in or to the sights before the big crowds and afterwards able to cover ground with minimal stoppage. We have been doing this for years and have been able to see quite a few things because of it.

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks for the info folks. I will probably do the hotel app search, as that's what I've done in the past and had good luck. I also look for hotels with free breakfast and a decent (non-chain) restaurant within walking distance for dinner. With the smart phones it is easy to do this research on a rest stop and as others have said, never had a bad experience.

I'm planning on doing the wildlife loop if the weather cooperates at all. As I said earlier, I have no time table for the return trip, it can be 10 days or 3 weeks, no problem. I have a hard arrival date for the family reunion on 20 Sept so I may even leave a couple of days earlier to give myself 10 or 11 days to cross the country. Worst case is I get to run up to Washington state or something.

Thanks again, keep the ideas coming.

Steve

21 - 39 of 39 Posts