Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a ride in Sept/October of this year that starts at my home in Northern VA (NOVA), meets at Lassen National Volcanic Park for a few days (family reunion) but is pretty open between those two points. I'm using the Furkot web based GPS planning software. This is in the beginning stages of planning so I'm open to any suggestions. I plan to stay in hotels (no camping) along the way. I currently have 400 mile days planned until I get a better idea on what sights I want to see going across the country. I do have Yellowstone and Rushmore plugged in right now. I like back roads but will do highways to make up time. I'm providing a link to my planning map. Please let me know your thoughts: https://trips.furkot.com/board/GaF2aj

I'm fairly new to the Furkot website but you'll see hotel stops along the way. Furkot plans stay overs based on how fast/far I project that I want to go daily. Right now that is 400 miles per day. I'm not far enough down the planning to actually start making any reservations.

Please give me any feedback on this thread and I'll be researching/planning for several months. Before leaving I'll load the route into the GPS on my bike and hope for the best. Of course I'll also have my computer along for the ride to download photos and update my maps. I will be going to Reno before Lassen to meet my wife at the airport. She doesn't want to make the cross country trip with me at this point.

Thanks

Steve

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
That is a nice looking start to a trip Steve...........Of course you know I will be interjecting some info (surprise, surprise :redface:).

One question I have right of the bat. Are there specific sites that you like to visit or are you just basically covering ground to ride????

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a nice looking start to a trip Steve...........Of course you know I will be interjecting some info (surprise, surprise :redface:).

One question I have right of the bat. Are there specific sites that you like to visit or are you just basically covering ground to ride????
Thanks Bill. I welcome your input. I have no specific sights that I want to see. This is an opportunity to color in some more of my map. I like looking at wildlife and scenic vistas. I plan to add 4 Corners to my map so I can knock of four states quickly. Otherwise, no specific desires to see anything but open to all suggestions on roads/sights/unique places to stay/eating/etc.

Steve

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Thanks Bill. I welcome your input. I have no specific sights that I want to see. This is an opportunity to color in some more of my map. I like looking at wildlife and scenic vistas. I plan to add 4 Corners to my map so I can knock of four states quickly. Otherwise, no specific desires to see anything but open to all suggestions on roads/sights/unique places to stay/eating/etc.

Steve

:doublethumb:

I'll get you some ideas

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Hey Steve, if you pass through East Texas, which most likely you would if you take the southern route on I-20 or I-10, you've got a place to crash here over night. Shoot, I'll even throw some cauliflower steaks on the grill. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Geez, Steve. Just looked at the map and that’s one hell of a trip you got planned. How long of a trip and how many miles do you think?

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
If you are going to do Rushmore and Yellowstone, I would suggest early September. Winter starts early in this area. Also if you are doing Yellowstone, you might think about the Bear Tooth Pass and the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody. An old Wyoming Friend gave me a piece of Advice on the Mountains in Wyoming " If you can't see the tops Don't go up".

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Steve, I am probably going to make several posts as I remember things by looking at your proposed route.

1) Looks like you will be going through Chattanooga Tn. A really neat stop that won't eat up a ton of time is Lookout Mt./Rock City. Just some info. https://tickets.lookoutmountain.com/

2) When you are coming across Texas, of interest would be to head up to Amarillo. You can ride on part of Rt. 66, catch the Cadillac Ranch and also stop for eats at the Big Texan. https://www.bigtexan.com/. Additionally then head West from there on I-40 but also hop off at towns to hit more of Rt. 66. Once you get to Tucumcari there is a really neat Historic section of Rt. 66 and if you take Rt. 104 NW out of town that is an absolutely stunning vista ride that ends crossing the mesa and drops into Las Vegas NM. Taking I-25 from Las Vegas will get you around the Mts. to Santa Fe. After Santa Fe (lots of things here and a fantastic city) you can go down the Turquoise Trail to Madrid (Wild Hogs Town) or I-25 to Albuquerque (If you need to be there) or you can go North out of Santa Fe and head through the Jemez and San Pedro Mt. Ranges to Cuba NM.

3) About 40 miles South of Farmington NM is this place and the scenery there is unbelievable. It's also not crowded. https://www.blm.gov/visit/bisti-de-na-zin-wilderness

4) A few items of note in Az.
If you can swing some time to get to Monument Valley, I'm sure you would really like that, however I can also tell you that you will see it as you are on the road in the distance. After riding on both 89 and on 89A out of Page, I personally enjoyed the 89A route more. That takes you by the Vermilion Cliffs which are stunning and it's a great road.

I will leave you with that for now. Just some thoughts for you.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
If you are going to do Rushmore and Yellowstone, I would suggest early September. Winter starts early in this area. Also if you are doing Yellowstone, you might think about the Bear Tooth Pass and the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody. An old Wyoming Friend gave me a piece of Advice on the Mountains in Wyoming " If you can't see the tops Don't go up".
This is a must do in my opinion. Take 212 from Billings to Bluetooth Pass and on to Yellowstone. The only issue with that is the time of year.
There is nothing like being stopped on the road on a motorcycle while a herd of 300 bison cross 5ft. in front of you. And Beartooth has to be done at least once. Also you may be going by Devils Tower I need to look at you route again.

Reactions: fossil92

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
My two cents, assuming counter clockwise direction;
South Dakota; while right around Mount Rushmore you should ride 16A. If you cut south on 79 at Rapid City, right on 36, then west onto 16A you will thank me. Mount Rushmore will appear in front of you around a curve.

Texas; along US 287, at Oklaunion, go north on US 183 for an up and back, cross the Red River and you get Oklahoma too. If you cut across US 82 to Texarkana you will skip Dallas.

Louisiana/Mississippi; just after Shreveport cut south to US 84 and take that into Natchez. Then north on US 61 to just past Port Gibson ("Too beautiful to burn", U.S. Grant, 1863) and take a right on 462. This is the Old Port Gibson Road, one of the best sweeping curved roads around here. That takes you into Raymond and a right at the T takes you to 18, left back to I-20. I live just north of Jackson, place to stay and the grill by the pool is available if I'm home.

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the feedback. I'll be evaluating and altering the map.

Hey Steve, if you pass through East Texas, which most likely you would if you take the southern route on I-20 or I-10, you've got a place to crash here over night. Shoot, I'll even throw some cauliflower steaks on the grill. :grin2:
Thanks for the offer. I have sister that I'll be visiting in Dallas for a couple of days so I'm definitely doing Texas.

Geez, Steve. Just looked at the map and that’s one hell of a trip you got planned. How long of a trip and how many miles do you think?
It is the motorcycle trip of a lifetime for me as well as a planning ride for an RV trip next year with the wife. It is roughly 7500 miles planned thus far, and I'll be gone almost 1 month (including family visits and reunion).

I will be leaving about 10 Sept or so. I've got to be in Lassen National Volcanic Park on 20 Sept and that is my only "hard date" on the entire trip. I'll be watching the weather closely.

Steve, I am probably going to make several posts as I remember things by looking at your proposed route.

1) Looks like you will be going through Chattanooga Tn. A really neat stop that won't eat up a ton of time is Lookout Mt./Rock City. Just some info. https://tickets.lookoutmountain.com/

2) When you are coming across Texas, of interest would be to head up to Amarillo. You can ride on part of Rt. 66, catch the Cadillac Ranch and also stop for eats at the Big Texan. https://www.bigtexan.com/. Additionally then head West from there on I-40 but also hop off at towns to hit more of Rt. 66. Once you get to Tucumcari there is a really neat Historic section of Rt. 66 and if you take Rt. 104 NW out of town that is an absolutely stunning vista ride that ends crossing the mesa and drops into Las Vegas NM. Taking I-25 from Las Vegas will get you around the Mts. to Santa Fe. After Santa Fe (lots of things here and a fantastic city) you can go down the Turquoise Trail to Madrid (Wild Hogs Town) or I-25 to Albuquerque (If you need to be there) or you can go North out of Santa Fe and head through the Jemez and San Pedro Mt. Ranges to Cuba NM.

3) About 40 miles South of Farmington NM is this place and the scenery there is unbelievable. It's also not crowded. https://www.blm.gov/visit/bisti-de-na-zin-wilderness

4) A few items of note in Az.
If you can swing some time to get to Monument Valley, I'm sure you would really like that, however I can also tell you that you will see it as you are on the road in the distance. After riding on both 89 and on 89A out of Page, I personally enjoyed the 89A route more. That takes you by the Vermilion Cliffs which are stunning and it's a great road.

I will leave you with that for now. Just some thoughts for you.
Thanks Bill

This is a must do in my opinion. Take 212 from Billings to Bluetooth Pass and on to Yellowstone. The only issue with that is the time of year.
There is nothing like being stopped on the road on a motorcycle while a herd of 300 bison cross 5ft. in front of you. And Beartooth has to be done at least once. Also you may be going by Devils Tower I need to look at you route again.
I would love to do this. Will add to trip if possible.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My two cents, assuming counter clockwise direction;
South Dakota; while right around Mount Rushmore you should ride 16A. If you cut south on 79 at Rapid City, right on 36, then west onto 16A you will thank me. Mount Rushmore will appear in front of you around a curve.

Texas; along US 287, at Oklaunion, go north on US 183 for an up and back, cross the Red River and you get Oklahoma too. If you cut across US 82 to Texarkana you will skip Dallas.

Louisiana/Mississippi; just after Shreveport cut south to US 84 and take that into Natchez. Then north on US 61 to just past Port Gibson ("Too beautiful to burn", U.S. Grant, 1863) and take a right on 462. This is the Old Port Gibson Road, one of the best sweeping curved roads around here. That takes you into Raymond and a right at the T takes you to 18, left back to I-20. I live just north of Jackson, place to stay and the grill by the pool is available if I'm home.
Thanks Mark. Yes, I'll be doing counter clockwise. I'll check these out.

I have to go to Dallas. I have a sister there that I've never been to her house and she is always after me. I would never hear the end of it if I was that close and didn't stop by. It also gives me a couple of day rest "for free".

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I updated the map and now remember why I was routed around Yellowstone. Since it is a seasonal road Furkot didn't like that time of the year. I have it on the plan now but might have to deviate if weather is not good.

Thanks

Steve

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Steve, when you get to Wall SD. a short 7 miles south will get you in the Badlands Nat. Park. You can follow the loop road through the park then on the east side about the same distance north puts you right back on I-90. A typical slow Nat Park road but beauiful scenery and being that close it will be a shame to miss it. Also if you need a great place to stay while in Wall check this place out. Fantastic people and very nice/reasonable, right off I-90. Additinally when you come back out on the east onto I-90 the Minuteman Missile Nat. Historic Site is right there.

https://www.nps.gov/badl/index.htm

http://frontiercabins.net/

https://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Another website that may interest you is this one. Highlights some of the great motorcycle roads of the U.S.

Click on a state then click on a region along your route. That will open up some roads of particular interest complete with type of roads (twisties, sweeping, rough, etc.) and in addition there will be some reviews of the roads also.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Updated route. Looks good. Thanks for the offer.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I updated the map and now remember why I was routed around Yellowstone. Since it is a seasonal road Furkot didn't like that time of the year. I have it on the plan now but might have to deviate if weather is not good.

Thanks

Steve
I agree about the time of year being an issue. First time I went was late Aug. and had to cut my stay early because of snow the next day.
But if the weather permits for me it is a must do.

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Updated route. Looks good. Thanks for the offer.

Steve
Timed right I'll meet you in Natchez and guide you through some good roads. If you have an interest in Civil War sites that would be adjusted. If not the roads are interesting enough. WARWGN (Dustin) and RayJ live close by. Big Ken is in the area but a few hours away.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
After my mandatory retirement nap I remembered route 14/14a through Big Horn National Park in Wyoming. Some incredible roads and scenery to ride and see. Also if you are going to the Bad lands when you exit the highway take a right and check out Wall Drugs. It is a big tourist trap.

Now back to my nap.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts