·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I purchased these two items from the USA for my 2009 1800 airbag Aussie model
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/2...Trunk_Spoiler/
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/2...M_LED_Lighted/
My local Honda installed them this week problem is i can only have 2 of the 3 options the lense has (turns/brake) the shop guy now his stuff says it is possibly the diff between the USA vs Aussie bike? he states the wiring does not allow running/turns & brake lights now me being me won't except this as your wires or adaptors or what ever can't be that different surely.....i know things on the bikes are different ie our bottom lights are not hooked up what so ever for a start. as a starting point we need something like a diagram of your 1800 2009 GW rear end wiring set up so we could compare the two and come up with solution
thoughts or any ideas?

Paul

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey Paul
I have the complete service manual for the same model, i will look it up tonight and if i find something i will e-mail it to you

len

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The links you posted doesn't work, but I think you have the spoiler light with the brake/tail and turn signals in it. the tail and brake light use the same lights and the blinker uses a different set of lights so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
it should be just a matter of finding the pigtails and plugging the in. I think the harnesses are there on all model Wings for any country (of course I've been wrong before).

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think the harnesses are there on all model Wings for any country
You would think so, but on my 2009 model there is no wiring harness for the lower lights, the only wires there are for the blinkers only
WHY WHY WHY i tell you, are we that different.:mad:

the blinker uses a different set of lights so I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Paul i think joe has point , instead of the wiring harness plug- in why not just connect or solder a seperate wire for the blinker lights the the blinker harness.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Well, it can't be vegamite that makes ye different, 'cause that was invented over here. Seriously, I'd bet money that wiring is there, just finding it is the key. Even if it isn't, there would be a way to tie in and use existing leads, making it pretty is the issue.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm hearing all of you!!! Currently i have the top set of LED lights on the spoiler as blinkers left/right, bottom set of LEDs as the brake light! and no running light.
I'm no expert with wires but surely they tie in somewhere......
Apart from storming in there and 'listen here you half wit's' which i dont want to do in a town this size i would have no where else to go....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Paul
Try a auto electrician i'm sure that they can work out a way of splicing into the existing wiring harness and run a seperate wire for the running lights. Thats what i'm going to do to make the bottom lights work , if i cant find the wires on the harness i will pick up the power from the trunk stop lights by splicing into the wires and then run a 2 core lead to the bottom lights.
If that fails then i will go inside and make some vegimite snacks and spend the rest of the day plotting on how to get even with the road and transport authorities ( those useless bunch of f#$%ing pen pushes ) :mad::mad::mad::mad:
breathe in slowly, exhales slowly repeat 2 times and take a vallium. You see what they do to me

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi all
I purchased these two items from the USA for my 2009 1800 airbag Aussie model
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/2...Trunk_Spoiler/
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/2...M_LED_Lighted/
My local Honda installed them this week problem is i can only have 2 of the 3 options the lense has (turns/brake) the shop guy now his stuff says it is possibly the diff between the USA vs Aussie bike? he states the wiring does not allow running/turns & brake lights now me being me won't except this as your wires or adaptors or what ever can't be that different surely.....i know things on the bikes are different ie our bottom lights are not hooked up what so ever for a start. as a starting point we need something like a diagram of your 1800 2009 GW rear end wiring set up so we could compare the two and come up with solution
thoughts or any ideas?

Paul
HI Cloud09. I've got an 06 model mate and I'm going through the same thing here.You have these two beautiful big lights on the panniers going to waste, (i think this is unique to the 06 model) so i decided to do something about it.At first inspection it would seem that all you have to do is get the light bulb housing and wiring from the US, drill the hole in the back of the light housing and plug it in.They make that "plug and play" sound so easy.when i bought the led lights for the top box and panniers, i also bought the wiring to go with it."plug and play" they say.It all hooked up beautifully,but there was no power AT ALL coming from that harness.I had to splice into the number plate light power wire to make it work.
I figure i wont be needing to change bulbs too often,so when i finally got cheesed off trying to micro fit the bulb holders to the light housing.I said to hell with it. I just made the hole a neat fit....put a small amount of silacone to hold things in place,now I've got everything ready to go.All i have to do is run an earth,stop and tail wires down from the original lights and I'll be lit up like a Christmas tree.I'm told by an Auto electrician that the extra stop and go bulbs wont be a problem for the bikes electrical system to handle,and the led lights draw hardly any power anyway.I've posted questions with the Goldwing owners here,but the only place i can seem to get any info is from the boys in the states.
How do you like your bike ?aren't they awesome ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Cloud09...it looks like your bike is the same colour as mine.I am trying to buy a spoiler for my 06, and going by the colour code under the fuel filler hatch according to Australian paint shops its "billet silver" but i can't seem to have this verified anywhere else.I intended ordering one from Cyclemax in the US.( I bought about $3000 worth of stuff from them.their prices and service were unbelievable ) but the uncertainty of the colour was the problem.I'm setting up my bottom lights as stop and tail and when i finally get the spoiler,I will have it as "stop" only.
Cheers

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Graham, I luv the Wing! The US guys have been great also...

I now have in my hot little hands the GW 09 US wiring diagram & the Aussie version, went back into Honda shop today with these in hands and my guy said to bring my bike in on Monday, he is going to look at it for no charge! which is great that the locals are still looking after me, cause i know that this is do-able

·
Registered
47 Posts
Graham, I luv the Wing! The US guys have been great also...

I now have in my hot little hands the GW 09 US wiring diagram & the Aussie version, went back into Honda shop today with these in hands and my guy said to bring my bike in on Monday, he is going to look at it for no charge! which is great that the locals are still looking after me, cause i know that this is do-able
Great stuff Paul,That should get your problem sorted. I dropped in to my auto electrician this afternoon to pick up a starter that he had repaired for my truck, and i quizzed him about doing a little job on my wing (i.e. wiring up the bottom lights as stop and tail) He didn't want any part of it at first, but after i assured him that i would pull everything apart and lay the job bare for him, he relented. So,at this stage, i too, will be taking my wing in to the shop for modification.We have about twelve bikes heading off for a ride tomorrow morning, starting with a bacon and egg breakfast at the ride leaders place, then off to Fernvale, Esk, Sommerset dam, ,Mt.Glorius and home .Should be a good ride.If you ever come down this way for a trip, look us up.
Good luck with your bike on Monday.Drop me a post and let me know how you got on.
Cheers
Graham

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great stuff Paul,That should get your problem sorted. I dropped in to my auto electrician this afternoon to pick up a starter that he had repaired for my truck, and i quizzed him about doing a little job on my wing (i.e. wiring up the bottom lights as stop and tail) He didn't want any part of it at first, but after i assured him that i would pull everything apart and lay the job bare for him, he relented. So,at this stage, i too, will be taking my wing in to the shop for modification.We have about twelve bikes heading off for a ride tomorrow morning, starting with a bacon and egg breakfast at the ride leaders place, then off to Fernvale, Esk, Sommerset dam, ,Mt.Glorius and home .Should be a good ride.If you ever come down this way for a trip, look us up.
Good luck with your bike on Monday.Drop me a post and let me know how you got on.
Cheers
Graham
I used to live down on the darling downs and loved that area often through there on my old Suzuki 750!
I'm fairly confident now the spoiler LEDs will be sorted after visiting a mate who is a auto elec. I heard back from Honda Aust. by email and the response was let's say very very poor "we do not have anyone who is familar with the differences in USA vs Aus bikes and can not help you"
paul

·
Registered
219 Posts
we do not have anyone who is familar with the differences in USA vs Aus bikes and can not help you
BINGO
Their as useless as 3 balls on a bull. That seems to be the standard answer to all the hard questions you ask. You think that all the money we pay for our wings here that they would be more helpfull.
They are so lucky i luv my bike otherwise i would threaten them by selling it and buying another harley:rolleyes:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it can't be vegamite that makes ye different, 'cause that was invented over here. Seriously, I'd bet money that wiring is there, just finding it is the key. Even if it isn't, there would be a way to tie in and use existing leads, making it pretty is the issue.
Basically Budoka you are right! although wiring is different on our Aussie bikes! being persistent & talking with people with wiring experience my LEDs have been sorted! after discussions, getting the wiring diagrams and telling the local shop 'It CAN be done' the guys told me to bring it back in today and they will check it out (no charge) looked a bit deeper and what do you know...FIXED! running/brake & turn lights....might be an aussie first hey!!! also Budoka it looks very pretty!.......

Thanks to all

·
Registered
47 Posts
Basically Budoka you are right! although wiring is different on our Aussie bikes! being persistent & talking with people with wiring experience my LEDs have been sorted! after discussions, getting the wiring diagrams and telling the local shop 'It CAN be done' the guys told me to bring it back in today and they will check it out (no charge) looked a bit deeper and what do you know...FIXED! running/brake & turn lights....might be an aussie first hey!!! also Budoka it looks very pretty!.......

Thanks to all
Hi paul
Glad you got your problem sorted out. Just a couple of questions.
1..on your spoiler you say you have Stop Tail AND turn.is the turn amber or red ?
2..Did you buy the spoiler and put it on your bike, or was it already fitted ?
3..What is the colour of your bike? the paint code is under the fuel filler hatch.
I just recieved a bracket to fit my GPS unit. It didn't fit the way it was supposed to, but with a little bit of modification i got it on. I got it from SouthernInsight $48.00 delivered. [email protected] They were very helpful.
I now have to fit a cigarette socket in the left hand fairing compartment so that i can power it up permanently from the bike. I think there is supposed to be a live wire just under that compartment somewhere. I will be handy to have power there anyway.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi paul
Glad you got your problem sorted out. Just a couple of questions.
1..on your spoiler you say you have Stop Tail AND turn.is the turn amber or red ?
2..Did you buy the spoiler and put it on your bike, or was it already fitted ?
3..What is the colour of your bike? the paint code is under the fuel filler hatch.
I just recieved a bracket to fit my GPS unit. It didn't fit the way it was supposed to, but with a little bit of modification i got it on. I got it from SouthernInsight $48.00 delivered. [email protected] They were very helpful.
I now have to fit a cigarette socket in the left hand fairing compartment so that i can power it up permanently from the bike. I think there is supposed to be a live wire just under that compartment somewhere. I will be handy to have power there anyway.
1. Amber
2. Spoiler was purchased (came with standard brake light LED which i swapped out for the brake/turn/running LED set)
3. NHA54M (colour code)

Graham - If you want you can send private message and i can send wiring diagram or images etc.

rgds
Paul

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
there is a pig-tail behind the fairing pocket that is a plug and play for the Hondaline 12v plug (p/n 08U55-MCA-301). It's a bit tight for room hooking the plug ends together, and the hole for the socket doesn't have a correct size holesaw (wtf is that about?) so you have to do a bit of modifying, but it is pretty slick. There's likely other ways to mount a 12v plug on the shelter panels as well, you just have to get creative with the wiring, Paul already knows all about that. Good on ya mate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts