Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to get the Multi-Display control switch connector wire plug unpluged and not having any luck, what do you need to do push, pull, etc to get it to release. Any help would be appreciated. This is on a 2012.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Unless they changed the design in the 2012, if you're looking at the plug from the right side of the bike, the tab you see needs to be pushed down ( compressed ) and the two connectors pulled apart. It is perhaps the most annoying connector on the Wing. Anything from a pair of long needle nose pliers to surgical clamps to compress the tab will aid and abet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you

Unless they changed the design in the 2012, if you're looking at the plug from the right side of the bike, the tab you see needs to be pushed down ( compressed ) and the two connectors pulled apart. It is perhaps the most annoying connector on the Wing. Anything from a pair of long needle nose pliers to surgical clamps to compress the tab will aid and abet.
I appreciate the help, did some research and on mine it is a little diffrent because of the heated grips and seat I guess, anyway getting ready to work on it now, when I work on this thing I think about how easy my old Vulcan 1500 was too work on compared to the wing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see you are running a car tire, how do you like it? I am thinking of going that way, I only get about 9,000 mi out of a rear bike tire and have put 13,000 on my bike in 5 mos so I would like to try something that would give me more mileage.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Curious Johnnie1, what are you up to that you have to pull that harness apart? Do you pull a trailer with your bike? 9k is a bit low for rear tire mileage (I think), I've got 12k on mine and it's not ready for the heap yet. C/T is making more sense to me though, compared to how I used to view the subject;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Connector still the same on the 2012 model. I just unplugged mine yesterday to remove the panel to install handle bar risers. So still the same.. Good luck.. it's not for the faint at heart...

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Connector still the same on the 2012 model. I just unplugged mine yesterday to remove the panel to install handle bar risers. So still the same.. Good luck.. it's not for the faint at heart...
Son-of-a-gun. The more things change , the more they remain the same. I would hope at least they figured to rotate the connection disconnect tab 90* to make it more visible and obvious.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I see you are running a car tire, how do you like it? I am thinking of going that way, I only get about 9,000 mi out of a rear bike tire and have put 13,000 on my bike in 5 mos so I would like to try something that would give me more mileage.
Best ride I have had since I first got on a Wing. It may not be for everyone, but it was a natural for my riding comfort and type of riding. I'm happy. Only have a bit over 4,000 miles on it so far. Looks brand new ( albeit I don't have a depth gauge yet ). Very quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Curious Johnnie1, what are you up to that you have to pull that harness apart? Do you pull a trailer with your bike? 9k is a bit low for rear tire mileage (I think), I've got 12k on mine and it's not ready for the heap yet. C/T is making more sense to me though, compared to how I used to view the subject;)
Got the harness apart happy about that as far as the tire goes 9,000 may seem low to you as well as to me but thats all I got out of the original rear tire, the only thing I can think of is a lot of times we hit the interstate and run 400 or 500 miles a day. Anyway not happy with it and thinking of a C/T but that screws up your warranty on anything on the back end of the bike or so they tell me at my Honda Dealer. Thanks for the reply, ride safe.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Best ride I have had since I first got on a Wing. It may not be for everyone, but it was a natural for my riding comfort and type of riding. I'm happy. Only have a bit over 4,000 miles on it so far. Looks brand new ( albeit I don't have a depth gauge yet ). Very quiet and smooth.
Ok got the wiring harness apart Yea. Thanks for the information may go to a car tire but was told by my dealer it would void my warranty on anything on the rear of the vehicle. Still think it might be worth the change. Anyway thanks ride safe and ride a lot.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
........ but that screws up your warranty on anything on the back end of the bike or so they tell me at my Honda Dealer. Thanks for the reply, ride safe.
Check on that. Sounds like a provincial threat. Your Warranty is good at any Dealer, providing the Dealer is " good ".

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks one and all

Really appreciate everyones reply on this, got it apart now ready to install the riser's, next thing may be too change the air cleaner woo-hoo. Have a good day and stay safe.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Really appreciate everyones reply on this, got it apart now ready to install the riser's, next thing may be too change the air cleaner woo-hoo. Have a good day and stay safe.
Been both there and done both of that. Good for you. Which risers did you get ?

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
If your dealer told you that he's being a bit untruthful. The tire won't 'cause' any damage to the rear drive or anything of the sort. It's more than likely the attitude he has towards 'darksiders' and wouldn't go to bat for his customer for a warranty claim. Honda as yet does NOT require any photographic evidence of claimed damage (not that they couldn't change that practice soon) with the wheel and tire present. As warranty claims typically cost the service department money in lost labour (warranty payouts are pro-rated and predetermined by Honda), your dealer is just trying to disuade you from doing it so that he would possibly get full pop for repairs out of your pocket; or sell you a new Bridgestone or Dunlop m/c tire himself. Naturally he wouldn't/couldn't sell you or mount a c/t for your Wing. Ask me how I know, I am a Honda dealer.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts