Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of my brake lights have stop working on my gl1500se 2000 front & back brake. I have checked all the fuses a swopped the relays around but still no joy. Everything looks ok with connections I can get to.
I have just had to change the alternator earlier this week as it went bad so I upgraded to a 90amp alternator, does anyone know if it is connected or is it a coincidence?
Also has anyone had this problem before?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Plus one on checking the bulbs and then checking power at the bulb sockets. If the bulbs are good and you have no power to the sockets then we should continue with diagnostics. to me it sounds like a bad fuse these fuses should be checked with a dvom on both sides of the fuse or at least a 12 volt test light. it is rare but possible that when the old alternator went bad it could have spiked the electrical system and what ever bulbs were lit at the time blew out all at once. I have seen this happen to a car once but it blew out every bulb on the car that was on. dash,brakes, turning signals, however the headlights handled the surge with no problem. so for now try to keep it simple and start with checking your bulbs. i do not think the brake light switches would be the problem as it would be weird that they both go out at the same time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, Knelson that was my first thought the power spike & also thought that both light switches wouldn't have failed at the same time but as it turned out its not impossible.

I was talking to one of my customers this morning at work & he told me he used to be an auto electrican & offered to have a look at it after work.
It took him around 30 mins to find the both the front & rear brake light switches had failed. It turns out a previous owner had fitted extra brake lights without fitting a relay which put too much electrical load through the switches resulting in them burning out. He showed me on a multimeter that when you first put the brakes on it pulled 9amps then came down to 6 amps in a couple of seconds. I think the rear failed first but I hadn't noticed because he couldn't get reading at all then the front failed & he managed to get it working for a short time to take a reading.
So now I have to replace both brake light switches & my customer will fit a relay in the circuit to stop it happening again.

I hope this information may help someone else.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yes this info is useful thanks for keeping us posted.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
That's good to know.

Extra lights are a good thing, IF connected correctly.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having similar issues I Inherited my dad's 95 trike and he was good at fixing stuff like this unfortunately he's no longer here so I'm here looking for help it has no brake lights however the fuse and both relay are good when pressing the hand or foot brake the relay activates also with cruise in use the brake lever deactivate the cruise as it should but nothing working in the back checked under the truck and all wires appear connected and bulbs are good is there anything else I may need to check

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
Welcome to the forum M95. I suggest looking for a bad ground for your taillights.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, Knelson that was my first thought the power spike & also thought that both light switches wouldn't have failed at the same time but as it turned out its not impossible.

I was talking to one of my customers this morning at work & he told me he used to be an auto electrican & offered to have a look at it after work.
It took him around 30 mins to find the both the front & rear brake light switches had failed. It turns out a previous owner had fitted extra brake lights without fitting a relay which put too much electrical load through the switches resulting in them burning out. He showed me on a multimeter that when you first put the brakes on it pulled 9amps then came down to 6 amps in a couple of seconds. I think the rear failed first but I hadn't noticed because he couldn't get reading at all then the front failed & he managed to get it working for a short time to take a reading.
So now I have to replace both brake light switches & my customer will fit a relay in the circuit to stop it happening again.

I hope this information may help someone else.
Actually, the front and rear brake light switches do not feel any increase in current due to the addition of extra brake lights. The brake light switches are low current devices that operate the STOP LIGHTS RELAY, relay #2 which is a 20 amp relay. That relay feels all the current that is supplied to the brake lights. There is no need to add an extra relay for brake lights. So as long as you stay below the rated amperage of the relay, you can leave the lights on all day long and not hurt anything.
Text Technical drawing Diagram Design Plan

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm having similar issues I Inherited my dad's 95 trike and he was good at fixing stuff like this unfortunately he's no longer here so I'm here looking for help it has no brake lights however the fuse and both relay are good when pressing the hand or foot brake the relay activates also with cruise in use the brake lever deactivate the cruise as it should but nothing working in the back checked under the truck and all wires appear connected and bulbs are good is there anything else I may need to check
There is only one brake relay that I know of. Operation of the hand brake lever and foot brake pedal both will activate the STOP LIGHTS RELAY, Relay #2. You can try switching Relay #2 with one of the other relays of the same size and see if that will take care of the issue. If it does, replace that relay with a new one.

There are two switches on the hand brake lever and the foot brake pedal. One switch is for the cruise disconnect and the other switch is for the brake lights. The cruise disconnect switches do not have anything to do with the brake lights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The #2 relay clicks showing power to it is there anything from the relay box going to any kind of plug under the seat I can check for power I've probed about every wire I can possibly find with a test light with no luck one last thing he had the carbs worked on by someone is there anything they could have possibly unplugged under the radio housing to cause this issue

·
Registered
224 Posts
It could be a defective relay. A click means that the relay armature is moving the contacts but the contacts could be burnt, pitted or broken not allowing current to flow. I don't know if there is a connector in the vicinity of the carb but there are connectors that could have been disturbed and not allowing the brake lever to turn on the brake lights.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If you have a manual to go the wiring diagrams in the back of the book find the side that is energized by the relay and see if when you press the brakes the above wire goes hot, the relays job is to take a low current to activate a higher current and sometimes the socket the relay is plugged into gets corroded or melted and even though the relay triggers the higher amperage circuit does not go hot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.