Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi riders, I inherited a 1979 1100 goldwing a short time ago, but unfortunately I did not inherhit the keys. I have managed to get a set cut for the gas tank lid and and the pannier bags, but can anyone suggest how I can get a key cut for the ignition without pulling the whole of the front of the bike to pieces to get at it.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
First thing Ole G welcome to the forum. I only know of one way to get a key made for your bike, and that is to remove the ingnition barrel and then take it to a dealer or a locksmith to have a key cut. There should be a 3 digit code (1 letter and 2 numbers) stamped on the side of the barrel. Be careful because there is sometimes also a numerical code with 3 or 4 digits but this is not the correct code. The reason for removing the barrel is not only to be certain you have the right code, but the keys that get cut are often not perfect and don't work, so you can try it to make certain. Dealerships can only order the blanks from Honda, and then cut them if they have a key cutter. It's one of those things that some shops don't care to do, as it's usually a net loss scenario by the time time, freight and failure rates factor in. A key will only cost around $10, if you replace the barrel (100% effective) you are looking arouind $100 (Cdn prices; US?). Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your inherited Wing. Sounds like you have some good advice on how to handle the problem. Get that bike started and go riding. Ride safe...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
A good lock smith should be able to make one, also if you get the number from the ignition as stated before than a dealer can make you one. I guess you have tried the key for the gas flap in the ignition, they are usually the same key, unless it has been replaced at one time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts