Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Level 3 was delivered on Friday and I am itching to make'r mine.

There are a number of mods on which I have already decided. However, as a strict adherent to the philosophy of "while you're in there itus", I thought I would stop by and ask the collective for their thoughts and suggestions about things that I may not have considered, or, perhaps offer an alternative to the specific product I am thinking of installing. I only want to "go in there once". So, for example, all the trunk lights, spoiler, CB radio and antenna will go in/on at the same time. Same thing for work inside the fairing, or cowling, etc...

At the moment, my list includes the following:
• Replace all factory lighting with LED's
• Trunk mounted spoiler with Pathfinder Dynamic Sequential LED light
• Luggage rack
• Honda CB radio and antenna
• DRL and turn-signal combination in the lower cowling
• Dynamic Sequential LED's replacement for front fairing-mounted turn signals
• Utopia (???) driver backrest

I will appreciate everyone's comments, so, please let them fly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If it were me I would immediately do:

Windbender HPS with rake kit
Utopia backrest
Baker Air Wings - at least the Hand Wings
Hondaline passenger arm rests
Butler Cup
Throttle Rocker

go riding.

Other stuff I've done, still like, and would do again: garmin zumo, seat and Utopia backrest modified by Rich's Custom Seats, cheap aftermarket TPMS, glovebox/fuel door key knobs, Kury fork brace, wingstuff saddlebag luggage, some sort of LED cowl lights - more for bike visibility than my night vision, "rubber baby buggy bumpers" for the top case, honda saddlebag and top box carpet liners.

I have the cb but have yet to use it. I'm not really a group rider, but I like that it's there anyway.
I also installed a set of Mic Mutes but was never able to get them to work. If they did I'm sure they'd be a great addition ;-)
Also recently test sat on but didn't ride, a wing with the Rivco Aero pegs and I want a set!

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Will you be riding two up on long trips and/or camping? Transformer passenger boards give your passenger the ability to change position. A trailer hitch and rack combo provide a lot of luggage space at a low center of gravity.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Until next spring/summer, I will be riding solo and close to home; it's been quite some time since I last rode a bike, so I need to regain some skills I lost before I head to the wild blue yonder with a passenger.

Transformer passenger boards... Are they the ones that are a direct replacement for the stock passenger boards but have the added benefit of allowing the passenger to raise some sort of highway peg? I think I saw them in a video recently. Nice idea. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Will you be riding two up on long trips and/or camping? Transformer passenger boards give your passenger the ability to change position. A trailer hitch and rack combo provide a lot of luggage space at a low center of gravity.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Yes they are. The raised peg section just folds into the main board when not in use. When deployed they raise the passenger foot position by about 4-5 inches. My wife is height challenged and she is getting to really like them. As for the trunk rack, I'd suggest the Kuryakin one with the extra tote bag that fits it, along with the larger mounting feet. Just remember to not load more than 10 lbs in it. I keep forgetting to look at my saddlebag tote set to see what brand they are but they are sure handy. One large for one side and 3 smaller ones for the other side (my stuff). We got the large inner trunk bag and that's what the missus uses for her stuff. We have a Pakit Rak as well and that's super handy for extra footwear and bulky items. Wingstuff is a great go to resource for extras. Only thing I don't like about the Utopia backrest is the set screw needs some thread locker (not the heavy stuff) or it backs off on me.

LED lighting can pose current problems if the proper regulating system isn't used but the instructions should cover that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the reference.

I've been all over your site and in my Wishlist I put together an extensive list of mods items. At last tally, it was over 4k. :Damn:

One thing I wish you had was the Pathfinder Rear LED "kit" for the GL1800; Pathfinder SKU G18RPK. As a package deal, this kit includes (6 RED) & (2 AMBER) bulbs with LED Flasher; the *LIC plate LED bulb being optional for about $5.00 more

Congrats on your new-to-you Wing! We've made some videos of our owner's favorite items that he uses on his 2012 Wing, including the Utopia, his F4 Windshield, HeliBars and highway pegs. You can check them out here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLItd5-cYTOM5G7Vie2p6HZLrD99C2UIg7

Hope this helps...ride safe!

·
Vendor
683 Posts

I've been all over your site and in my Wishlist I put together an extensive list of mods items. At last tally, it was over 4k. :Damn:

One thing I wish you had was the Pathfinder Rear LED "kit" for the GL1800; Pathfinder SKU G18RPK. As a package deal, this kit includes (6 RED) & (2 AMBER) bulbs with LED Flasher; the *LIC plate LED bulb being optional for about $5.00 more
Thanks for the heads up on this Pathfinder kit. I'll look into it. If you haven't already, I recommend signing up for a VIP membership. It'll save you a bundle if you're planning on spending that amount or thereabouts. Between you, me and everyone else on this thread, VIP day is coming up and some of the items you plan on purchasing could possibly be included in the sale. You have to be a VIP member to participate in the sale.

·
Vendor
683 Posts

Hey GreenGA, we do have all of these on our site just not as a kit. Here are the part #s with links:

six AO7443R $20/ea - Red Bulbs (http://wingstuff.com/products/37480)
Two AO7443A $20/ea - Amber Bulbs (http://wingstuff.com/products/37479)
One AOGl88NC $30 - LED Flasher (http://wingstuff.com/products/37575)
One AOLP9T10 $6 - Optional LED License bulb (http://wingstuff.com/products/37481)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome. I also have a 2016 which I just bought used in May. I was also looking at luggage racks, but I noticed the OEM rack says it doesn't work with the spoiler on and I am not about to take it off. Not to hijack, but any help with a brand that will work with my spoiler would be much appreciated.

After spending the $$$ I already have, my wish list is much shorter. I have thought about the hitch and either luggage rack or small trailer so we can add camping to the trips.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
I kind of fell in love with this seat over the Utopia. It just fits the seat so well. BB52-797A: Smart Mount Removable Backrest for GL1800. That said I also went to AO18SS2: Adjustable Passenger Pegs for GL1800 as they were a lot cheaper and very sturdily built. They can hold my 300lb fat butt where as the Transformers actually flexed when I stood on them.
I also have the Pathfinder front fog and sequential turn lights and as half of my driving is at night they are awesome. The brighter the better,

Another thought for you is the Helibars and Superbrace. Which I got all this from Wingstuff. With new tires which now have 10k on and they still look new.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been out pf town for a few...

Some of the suppliers of racks have different feet that raise the rack about 1/2 inch which should clear the spoiler. Check em out.

Welcome. I also have a 2016 which I just bought used in May. I was also looking at luggage racks, but I noticed the OEM rack says it doesn't work with the spoiler on and I am not about to take it off. Not to hijack, but any help with a brand that will work with my spoiler would be much appreciated.

After spending the $$$ I already have, my wish list is much shorter. I have thought about the hitch and either luggage rack or small trailer so we can add camping to the trips.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great suggestions, all

Thanks...

I kind of fell in love with this seat over the Utopia. It just fits the seat so well. BB52-797A: Smart Mount Removable Backrest for GL1800. That said I also went to AO18SS2: Adjustable Passenger Pegs for GL1800 as they were a lot cheaper and very sturdily built. They can hold my 300lb fat butt where as the Transformers actually flexed when I stood on them.
I also have the Pathfinder front fog and sequential turn lights and as half of my driving is at night they are awesome. The brighter the better,

Another thought for you is the Helibars and Superbrace. Which I got all this from Wingstuff. With new tires which now have 10k on and they still look new.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Changing to all LED's will require a different flasher.
Also, make sure the luggage rack you buy will fit with a spoiler installed. Even the Honda one will not fit.
Of course that's IF you can find a spoiler. A lot of posts about the spoiler not being available anymore.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm one of those that posted that the color-matched spoiler for my Wing is no longer available; discontinued by Honda. :crying:

A few of the posters to my post about the MIA spoiler had some good suggestions, but I am back-stopping my option by looking into Kuryakn's chrome offering, which will work with their trunk rack with the taller feet; about 1/2" taller.

My wife wants me to wait until Wing Ding to see if either/both of these units are on sale for a lower price. I doubt it, but to keep her happy, I can wait. :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
515 Posts

You can get extension legs for most luggage racks to fit for a spoiler under.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts