Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has finally put he foot down & I have to buy a trailer. I know almost nothing about trailering. I have to buy a hitch,which one? And I want a little trailer with two wheels. Please shed some light on this subject for me.
Thank You in advance.
Bill Kane
I have a 2002 1800
70K I have held out & now it's time.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i couldn't imagine myself yanking a trailer with my wing. if my gf doesn't want to ride her wing or my 1200 wing we take the convertable cause i ain't riding her on the back of my wing or pulling a trailer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I really don't feel that bad about it Buzz. She has done 70K on my 02 with me. Little over 110 K on my 96 Wing & 90 or so on my 87 Wing. I use my Wee Strom for the one up stuff. She's a good girl, lets me travel whenever or wherever I want with no issue. When you partner has spent over 1/4 of a million miles in the saddle with you. You may cut her some slack.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Check out Harbour Freight for the cargo trailer , it is made to pull behind a bike and i recommend it for a starter trailer anyway . It is not expensive and has alot of room ! I really like mine and i am not too proud to pull it !!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hitch and Trailer

I just put a Wingstuff vertical hitch on the bike ($149)...wiring harness another $35. I have a Cyclemate 2000 that pulls great...if I had the cash, I would buy an Aluma.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Trailering ain't no big deal

ST, first off go here:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/start

There's alot of good guys on there that will give alot of good advice.
Alot of them have home built trailers. I have a American Legend trailer (about 200 lbs) and a home built using a Harbor Freight frame and a diamond plate box from Customtoolboxes.com.

I have been pulling since '95, never had a problem. My 1800 pulls them both alot better than the 1500 did. You could have a 300 lb trailer back there and you won't notice it as much as you think. With a 400 lb trailer I feel just a little tug when accelerating from a stop. I only feel the push of it when braking if I am braking moderately hard. I don't feel so much if I'm gentle. When the American Legend is empty I don't even notice it back there.
At 65mph I was getting about 37 mpg which is better than the 1500 did. On a good day I got 35 with that. And if you are pushing a strong wind at 70 it'll drop into the 20's. :mad:
I don't ride any different in curves so that isn't an issue.:) Well I guess you would have to be aware of dropping a wheel off the pavement sometimes.:eek:
I guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend. Being able to take your stuff and keep the trunk and bags for other light stuff is worth alot.
If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy...:D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Any other questions? you can PM me eh?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Well I really don't feel that bad about it Buzz. She has done 70K on my 02 with me. Little over 110 K on my 96 Wing & 90 or so on my 87 Wing. I use my Wee Strom for the one up stuff. She's a good girl, lets me travel whenever or wherever I want with no issue. When you partner has spent over 1/4 of a million miles in the saddle with you. You may cut her some slack.
i don't feel bad because the gf will tell you that she is a rider not a passenger. the last time i had her as a passenger i was picking up the 1500 wing. we rode my 1200 there and she rode the 1200 back to my house, no we do not live together.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It's so much easier with a trailer, I have pulled one all over the US and into Canada. You can spend from $300 to $5,000 dollars depending on how fancy you want to get. When not pullinmg the trailer you can use the hitch to haul a cooler or even a small piece of luggage. Check out ww.wingstuff.com for hitches and accessories
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_list/gl1800/272_goldwing_Trailer_Hitches_Racks/des/?page=1

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_list/gl1800/22945_Pakit_Rak/mfg/

Notice the smile on my wifes face!!!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Just one thing I might add as far as the trailer itself goes. Make sure you consider all uses for your needs. Some only need a crago trailer, others need a tent trailer. We used the tent trailer since we were both tired of sleeping on the ground. Tent trailers are warmer on the body and soul (compared to a ground tent) when the weather goes downhill. Both my Wings that I pulled with had Markland hitches, but there are far better hitches out there now.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I got mine at harbour freight on sale and had a 20% off coupon , and i am a track club memeber , so i got it for around $200 ! I added stick-on reflectors to the back and tongue and i am about to mount the spare tire underneath the back of it . When i mounted the springs to the trailer i cut an old garden hose to slide over the bolts to prevent wear and lessen any noise from metal to metal contact .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, so far I am leaning toward buying a piggyback XL. It's just under a grand shipped. 12 inch wheels,swivel coupler included. Is it crap? Can I do better for a grand?
Which brings us to Hitches. I have a 2002 GL1800. I want to be able to get the rear wheel of without a major fuss. A friend is telling me Revco & the revco seems to be like 100+ dollars more than all the others???? Any reason for that. Also 4 pin 5 pin ???? What is that and do I need to match up the trailer & hitch pin wise? How do I tell what has what pins. Yea im sure your saying this guy is lost. Your right.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My wife has finally put he foot down & I have to buy a trailer. I know almost nothing about trailering. I have to buy a hitch,which one? And I want a little trailer with two wheels. Please shed some light on this subject for me.
Thank You in advance.
Bill Kane
I have a 2002 1800
70K I have held out & now it's time.
I have a trailer I tow with my 91SE thats for sale. $500.00.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
In my mind i can't see paying that much more for a piggybackXL opposed to the harbour freight at half the price , but to each his own ! I don't think the swivel hitch is gonna do anything for you really , since it would only be for turns maybe ? What do i know ? My thinking is don't spend alot until you are sure you will continue to pull a trailer and if so , do you need a different kind altogether ! I await an update when you get it and try it out . : )

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok, so far I am leaning toward buying a piggyback XL. It's just under a grand shipped. 12 inch wheels,swivel coupler included. Is it crap? Can I do better for a grand?
Which brings us to Hitches. I have a 2002 GL1800. I want to be able to get the rear wheel of without a major fuss. A friend is telling me Revco & the revco seems to be like 100+ dollars more than all the others???? Any reason for that. Also 4 pin 5 pin ???? What is that and do I need to match up the trailer & hitch pin wise? How do I tell what has what pins. Yea im sure your saying this guy is lost. Your right.
A swivel coupler would not have helped when we rode over a ravine last summer. You need to use a five pin because of the seperate turn and brake lights. Not a big deal. If your looking at another option then I would check out a Bush Tec. The only bike trailer I know of that actually has motorcycle tires on it. You can sometimes find one used at a decent price.

·
Registered
124 Posts
20 some years ago I built a trailer to tow with my 750SS from K-Mart with their little car trailer and a topper that was made to fit it. VERY wide compared to regular motorcycle trailers but it worked fine.

Now with my '04 GW, I have a Bushtec Roadstar and it is wonderful. These are expensive, but if you use a trailer much at all, it is worth it. I don't even know the thing is behind it rides so smooth, and the tires are run-flat capable for a good bit of security.

You can find them at about 1/2 price from time to time. Check out this site for info:

http://www.bushtec.com

I have friends that had a piggybacker or Harbor Freight model and they all pretty quickly went to better trailers for a better ride, but you can get by with them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sooo, ST, did you get? did ya? huh? huh?:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Take a look at Bushtec trailers. I have owned several of them over the years and they are certainly one if not the best motorcycle trailers out there IMHO.They are light weight, very stable and have air suspension. You really won't know it's there. If you stick with a base model the pricing is not bad, but the options drive the price up quickly!
They also offer a complete line of hitchs. Check out their website often owners will post used trailers for sale - I have even seen a few on ebay. Bushtec.com I think. good luck

1 - 20 of 64 Posts