Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 88 Wing. The fuel gauge reads full when I fill up. But then after riding only 30 miles or so, the gauge has already dropped to 1/2 tank. By the time I have ridden 60 to 70 miles, the gauge has dropped to the empty mark. Gauge remains on the empty mark for the rest of the tank (approx 160 more miles). Anyone have any idea what my problem is and how to fix?
Thanks
Mark

Okay ....... sounds like my float/sending unit may be bad. I tried to find where to access that unit today so I could get a new piece and change it out and I could not find it. Anybody know where to access it from outside the tank? I found the fuel pump assembly unit directly under the seat but no float/sending unit there. Please help!
Thanks
Mark

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Sounds like the float to me. May need to take that puppy out and replace. Or live with a gauge that reads wrong.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi uhp195. remove your seat an right under where you sit is the fuel sending unit. its located on top of the gas tank. there is a nut type slip ring holding it in place. remove the nut an wires an the whole unit pulls up to remove. you may be able to bend the float adjustment like a toilet float but it is recommended to replace the unit. good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I took the seat off and the only thing under it is the fuel pump unit that sits down in the gas tank. The float/sending unit is not there.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Two Wheel Wing
Sounds like the float to me. May need to take that puppy out and replace. Or live with a gauge that reads wrong.

I've been living with it. I was worried at 1st & then just started to not look at it so much. Pretty much run fuel by miles driven.

uhp195, The only thing I did was make sure the fuel light worked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay .... I removed the seat and the only thing under the seat is the fuel pump unit. I removed that whole unit from the tank but still could not see any access to the fuel float sending unit anywhere. When I look down into the tank from the gas cap area with a light, I can see the float arm down in there but I cannot figure out where to get to it from the outside. Any more ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
on an 88 gw, you access the sending unit from the left side of thefuel tank behind the left side panel. you will need to have a minimum of fuel on board to keep the mess in order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got it

I finally got hold of a manual and found it. Thank you 2580 for your reply. It is under the left side panel as you said. Thanks to all for your input.
Be safe out there..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts