Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I know that there have been many threads started on oil and they can get a bit off tract. I have been riding bikes for 30 years and have spent most of those years riding sport bikes on and off the track. I have toured the 11 western on those bikes many times but now that I'm not draggin my knee any more I have found the wing from my past my new ride. I have read a lot of info on this but would like to hear from you guys that have worn out the 1200 as to the best oil to run. Thanks for your time. earthpig......:)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I switched over to synthetic and have had no problems yet. My next oil change is going to be Amsoil because of the great studies I have seen on this site. Truthfully unless any one pipes in and tells me different Amsoil seems to be the best oil on the market for Motorcycles. My ride has about 78,000 on it now so I definitely want the best oil in her. I went with Rotella 6t from walmart which is rated for bikes but as I said I am switching to Amsoil. I am a bit concerned though because I do have some left side lifter noise on start up when cold but it goes away quickly.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
i'm still using castrol 4t bike oil and do oil changes every 5000 miles. both wings have just over 50,000 on them. i've been using castrol bike oil for a very long time but what you use is up to you

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Answers on oil will be many and varied as you said. I ran Spectro 4 in my '84 1200 and have nothing but good things to say about it. I used it in my 1500 as well same result. I've ridden nearly 200,000 miles and the lion's share was on the 1200, and the next highest was the 1500. I use Amsoil now in the 1800 and don't forsee any switch coming, but it's just my choice. Lots of riders stick with the Honda branded m/c oil in either blend or petroleum and are very happy; I'm a solid believer in synthetics myself.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guy's for the help. Today I checked what was available in this small town and went with the Mobile 1 race synthetic 10-40 motorcycle oil. After starting it I noticed it was a bit quieter than the oil that was in it. Now I'll put on a bunch of miles and see if there is any thing noticeably different. Again thanks. earthpig.....

Note- sorry for posting in this section. After posting it I noticed what I did but could not move it....:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts