Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I've got a brain twister for ya'll... I have a 91 GL 1500 I got a short while back. It's had a gremlin I have to get rid of but I can't figure it out!!! Here's what happens. If I turn on the R. turn sig it kills the headlight the gas gauge, and temp gauge. The turn sig does come on and works fine. After I turn off the turn sig the front light comes back on and the gauges come back on also all the lights on the dash CC, reverse and all illuminate for several seconds... NOT AL ALL SAFE TO RIDE LIKE THIS! I can't figure out for the life of me where the demon is coming from. On the fuze box on the left side heel panel there is a fuze several positions up from the bottom. that had a bad fuze in it. I found when I put a good fuze in it the turn sig would not work but the headlight would stay on.... Take the fuze out and the above mentioned happens. Now there are two relay's I found that work in conjunction with the turn sig. One is under the seat right behind the gas tank. It ticks once when you turn the turn sig off. If I unplug it it has no effect on anything. but It seams to be good. Then there is another relay that is under the trunk that ticks when the turn sig is on. there are two relays there side by side with the same model number so I switched them around to check if the first relay was good. I got the same affect, so I put them back to how they were. So I believe that relay under the trunk is also good and doing what it's supposed to do. Now the guy I got this bike from at one point had all kinds of aux lights on it that are no longer on there. It had all the switched mounted above the clutch and brake res's.. most of the wire went to nothing anymore so I just cut them off and out. The only one that went to anything turned on the fans behind the radiator to operate the header for your shins. I relocated that switch and took off all the crap that was sitting on top of the res's since they were falling apart anyway. Now under the plastic just above the handlebar neck I found some wire with the shrowding exposed so to avoid any shorting I covered the exposed wiring. That is the only exposed wireing I was able to find that had the possability to shorting out on anything that could be causing the problem. Are there any thoughts on how to exterminate these gremlins! I need a safe bike to ride. Right now my bike is sitting two feet in the air with half the plastics off of it with no back tire on it due to a flat. I'm getting ready to put it back together. So I'd really like to be back on two wheels ASAP. Any help before I put the plastics back on would be GREAT! Thank anyone who can help... Scott I hope everything I typed made decent sense BTW.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Makes sense to me. Do you have the cornering lights, the ones at the bottom of the fairing that come on with the turn signals?

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Had a problem a couple years ago with the turn signals, turned on one and they all blinked can't recall what else happen, But I found a bad ground wire in a connector. It was located under the seat on the left side there is a large connector inside a protective cover. The wire is located on upper inside corner of the plug (a green wire) I installed a jumper to by pass the connector.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Electrical gremlins on cars, trailers and bikes are usually ground related. Try running an independent ground from one of the lights to the frame/negative on the battery and see what happens.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I don't have a 1500 but I will question one of your statements. You said: "The only one that went to anything turned on the fans behind the radiator to operate the header for your shins. I relocated that switch and took off all the crap that was sitting on top of the res's since they were falling apart anyway.".

Now I don't think the fans are there to turn on what I assume you meant to say, "heaters for your shins". The fans are there to automatically cool and blow air through the radiators when they reach a certain temp. The air to warm your shins is just air that has passed over the engine and a hand operated lever allows that air to pass into the tupperware and out the vents.

At least that is how the 1800 works.

You might check that right turn signal lamp to make sure it is the correct one for the bike. He might have stuck something else in there and its drawing too much current causing a "low voltage" event in that circuit. Didn't you guys have some sort of mod to make the little "turn clearance light" (the little lights at the bottom of the fairing that lite up to shine around a corner when the turn signals are on) come on and blink with the turn signal?

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
I was puzzled by the same thing Isaac, but you never know what some people do to their bike.
It might be that somebody put a manual over ride on the fans to turn them on sooner.

I think If my above suggestion don't work out. I'd start looking at all the places where lights/accessories have been removed. Any place where wires have been twisted together should be soldiered.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Do you have the cornering lights, the ones at the bottom of the fairing that come on with the turn signals?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I had to open up my turn signal switch to clean and lube it this spring due to it sticking and turning out the markers in front. But it didn't affect the headlight at all.

Where's trike lady when you need her?

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I hate rat's nests in wiring. Lord knows what ills can befall that kind of mess. Check ALL your grounds first and then go after the other stuff. Multi-meter in hand for sure.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Sross76, did you ever get it sorted out?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.