Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I've been a rider for a a few years now (BMW R65) but looking for a touring bike to take the Mrs out with.

I've shopping for Goldwings for the past few months and seen a few but being so new to the field, I don't know what is a good value or not. I took at look at the "buying a used goldwing" sticky post and that looks super helpful for when I go take a look at some of these in person.

Here is a GW that I'm looking at right now. What do you guys think, is it a good deal?

She said that it's a 2-owner bike, she's owned it since 2009. Seems to be well cared-for. It's a 1.5 hr drive away so if you guys think it's priced way too high, I won't even bother checking it out.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Have you decided on the model of Goldwing you want to get? The 1800s are fuel injected and most Honda shops will still work on all of them. Sometimes it is hard to find a Honda shop that will service the older models.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I was looking for a Gold Wing, 2006 was the oldest I was looking at. Frame issues were sorted out, higher output alternator, Overheating issues addressed, factory heated seat and handgrips, and imho, the electrics were improved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. Have you decided on the model of Goldwing you want to get? The 1800s are fuel injected and most Honda shops will still work on all of them. Sometimes it is hard to find a Honda shop that will service the older models.
When I was looking for a Gold Wing, 2006 was the oldest I was looking at. Frame issues were sorted out, higher output alternator, Overheating issues addressed, factory heated seat and handgrips, and imho, the electrics were improved.
I'm looking for something under $8000, and something that holds its value, since there's a chance I'll end up selling it and getting my wife her own bike if she likes it enough.

Most of the GWs in my area (Toronto, Canada) in my price range are older 1500s. This one seems to be a decent find, compared to what else I've seen so far.

Didn't know that there were factory heated seats starting in 2006! That definitely interests me. But I still have a hard ceiling on my price range.

I read about the frame issues, but as I understand it, there's a recall out on them and Honda will replace it if needed?

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Nice looking bike. If you can get maintenance records that would help. Goldwings will run forever and you are getting the fastest color. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
978 Posts
I'm looking for something under $8000, and something that holds its value, since there's a chance I'll end up selling it and getting my wife her own bike if she likes it enough.

Most of the GWs in my area (Toronto, Canada) in my price range are older 1500s. This one seems to be a decent find, compared to what else I've seen so far.

Didn't know that there were factory heated seats starting in 2006! That definitely interests me. But I still have a hard ceiling on my price range.

I read about the frame issues, but as I understand it, there's a recall out on them and Honda will replace it if needed?
Hi, welcome to the forum, the frame issue had a couple of variations, my brothers 03’ was one that was welded, they partially disassembled his bike, laid it on it’s side, and shipped it to a special welding shop authorized by Honda. That was back when they were still the current model being sold. Now with the vintage/age that the bikes needing frame work are getting to, dealers have said that they won’t work on bikes 10 years and older, anymore. Also, the wiring harness insulation is becoming brittle, to the point, that any frame replacement now may need extra items, that may not be available anymore (any new-old-stock wiring harnesses sitting on a parts shelf are aging too!!). My brothers repaired frame is still going strong, albeit, it’s a trike now. Your bike in question, looks nice. Some informed inspection of it will either lead to that purchase or away from it. Just don’t expect old bikes to be covered as if they were current models. Shopping for an ecm for one of these bikes is getting very expensive.
I really like 1500’s, my son is on one that will most likely outlast my 05’. I might be inclined to ride a 1500, as a second bike for 2up purposes (as you are looking for) , or for my primary bike really. Those 1500’s were purpose built by honda for the long distance touring comfort that is taken for granted these many years later. If I found a 2000 1500 in my price range, in pristine condition, I would be all over it. My 1800 is perfect for me, I have made alterations to it to bring up to a level that I accept, but I still have the potential of very expensive/unattainable parts failure on it that reminds me of it’s age. They do seem to be bulletproof, until they need something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, welcome to the forum, the frame issue had a couple of variations, my brothers 03’ was one that was welded, they partially disassembled his bike, laid it on it’s side, and shipped it to a special welding shop authorized by Honda. That was back when they were still the current model being sold. Now with the vintage/age that the bikes needing frame work are getting to, dealers have said that they won’t work on bikes 10 years and older, anymore. Also, the wiring harness insulation is becoming brittle, to the point, that any frame replacement now may need extra items, that may not be available anymore (any new-old-stock wiring harnesses sitting on a parts shelf are aging too!!). My brothers repaired frame is still going strong, albeit, it’s a trike now. Your bike in question, looks nice. Some informed inspection of it will either lead to that purchase or away from it. Just don’t expect old bikes to be covered as if they were current models. Shopping for an ecm for one of these bikes is getting very expensive.
I really like 1500’s, my son is on one that will most likely outlast my 05’. I might be inclined to ride a 1500, as a second bike for 2up purposes (as you are looking for) , or for my primary bike really. Those 1500’s were purpose built by honda for the long distance touring comfort that is taken for granted these many years later. If I found a 2000 1500 in my price range, in pristine condition, I would be all over it. My 1800 is perfect for me, I have made alterations to it to bring up to a level that I accept, but I still have the potential of very expensive/unattainable parts failure on it that reminds me of it’s age. They do seem to be bulletproof, until they need something.
Thanks for the thorough reply!

So, if I understand you correctly, you would prefer a 1500 over an 1800?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sometimes it is hard to find a Honda shop that will service the older models.
I am going to reintegrate what NREMTP said and add that unless you can and are willing to do ALL the work on the bike yourself, you need to go check with local shops to see what, if anything, they will do on the bike you select. It is becoming more common for authorized Honda shops to set a cutoff age for when they stop working on them. For example, all 3 shops in my city refuse to work on a Goldwing that is 10 years or older. In fact, one of them flat out refuses to even put TIRES on ANY YEAR Goldwing and they are a HONDA POWERSPORTS DEALER!!!

·
978 Posts
Thanks for the thorough reply!

So, if I understand you correctly, you would prefer a 1500 over an 1800?
For me, it is a mixed bag, because the 1500 was a design win with the Honda engineers. It was designed for the open road, and it excels at that in spades. The only ‘modification’ I made to my sons bike, was to TRICK the cruise control in setting at 80mph. After researching in on the internet at the motel, I went out to the parking lot and switched wires, under the seat, for the CC. And it worked perfect. They are not a quick as the 1800, but they will run all day on cruise at 80+ and not even break a sweat. The 1500 holds a dear place in my heart, for sure. If the 1800 failed and was big money to fix, I could end up riding a 1500. Parts availability is becoming equal on both. Both will have similar aging issues, but the 1500 has less electronics in it to randomly fail while on the road. I‘ve said it before, but looking in my rear view mirror and seeing my son and his 1500, gives me total peace of mind. I KNOW that one will get where we are going.

·
978 Posts
Oh, and I’ve seen some really messed up 1500’s (maybe by owner modification or neglect) that still run without the owner knowing anything is wrong. Fixed a lot of little things on 1500’s over the years. Dismantled a few too! The 1800’s seem to give the owners more grief if they are not right, and end up needing repairs to run good again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
From what I have experienced, the 1800s seem to be as reliable as the 1500s. I rode several 1500s for 23 years. about 400,000 miles. Had the famous 4th gear failure, and one broken cam belt. I now have 70K on the current 2006 Gold Wing. The fuel injected engine is very nice, Had alternator bearings go bad on the 1800, and one heated grip gave up. I see the big thing about either bike is how they are maintaained, and not lettting them sit unused. Not riding either bike is the most abusive thing you can do. Miles mean very little on a Gold Wing that has sat unused for 15 or 20 years.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I buy and sell a few GL1800s throughout the year and I have a rather simple method. First look at the bike if it looks well cared for then it is. Start the motor if it sounds good and the alternator drive is not rattling it's good. If the price is good buy it. That it. I normally buy slightly crashed but just recently picked up a 2002 with 69k miles for $5000 and sold it for $5900 a few days later. My recommendation is don't pay too much attention to mileage anything under 80k is excellent and go for older 2001 to 2005 models as the drive train is the same as all units from 01 to17 but you will pay a lot less. ABS is OK but Navigation is a waste as you can't see the screen, it doesn't interface with blue tooth and it's just clunky to used. The frame issue is really not an issue as that has all been sorted out and I have yet to see one with a cracked frame as most were checked and or corrected as part of the recall. I also never ask about maintenance records as anyone can make those up and if the bike looks well cared for you can bet it is. Most wings in the 2004 and older can be bought for under 6K. It's a lot of bike for a little money. I don't normally test ride as I already know buy sound what the bike is like and take it for granted the ADV is stuck (#1 repair) It's a simple and safe process. I would caution against buying sight unseen and you really need to look at it up close

·
Registered
2006 Honda Goldwing
2 Posts
Hey all! I've been a rider for a a few years now (BMW R65) but looking for a touring bike to take the Mrs out with.

I've shopping for Goldwings for the past few months and seen a few but being so new to the field, I don't know what is a good value or not. I took at look at the "buying a used goldwing" sticky post and that looks super helpful for when I go take a look at some of these in person.

Here is a GW that I'm looking at right now. What do you guys think, is it a good deal?

She said that it's a 2-owner bike, she's owned it since 2009. Seems to be well cared-for. It's a 1.5 hr drive away so if you guys think it's priced way too high, I won't even bother checking it out.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!
You want to get at least a 2006 or newer. Honda made 36 upgrades to the Goldwing from 06 to 12 including a 160 watt, 6 speaker sound system!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a silver '03 that I traded in for my blue and silver 2012. It had just under 100K on it, never gave me any issues. It did go into the dealer for the frame recall, but checked out okay.

In buying ANY wing, as others have said, listen to it and look at it carefully. Check the tupperware under both sides - if it has any scrapes (which you will not see just standing and looking at the bike), it has had a nasty drop. Also check the bottom side of the OEM crash bars (engine guard and bag guard)- are there any scrapes on those? If so, are they parallel to the bike, or horizontal? Parallel means it has been dropped, but not while in motion. Horizontal means it was moving when the bike went down. The foot pegs and cruising pegs on all of my bikes, including my current bike, have scrapes, but that is because I love riding the twisties - not an indication the bike has gone down.

Look at the axle on the front. Is it clean, or does it have indication of dirt, grime and oil? If so, the shocks have a leaking seal. This is common on the 1800's - I have had to replace a few over the years.
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts