Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm from Honolulu Hawaii and will be taking a bike trip from San Fransisco to Yellowstone, down to grand canyon then back to SFO. I would really love to do it on a Goldwing 1800. I could really use some advise as to 1) I've never rode a goldwing, I currently ride a kawasaki 900 classic and Yamaha FZ6 sport bike. 2) I'm only 5'6" so wondering if I'm to short to ride a GW. 3) Will the bike be to much to handle riding such a long distance about 3600 miles total.

Thank you so much for your help and advise.

Aloha

·
Registered
515 Posts
Welcome dafrets, looks like you have big plans. You don't mention if your making this trip alone or 2up, but at least you have riding experience. First and foremost, the GL1800 is a big bike, curb weight comes in at some where around 800lbs. On the bright side, once you get her going you feel like your on the sport bike. Seat height on the wing is about 29", things are put together for easy ground reach, you might not be flat footed, but as long as your ready for it you should be OK. The GL is made for a 3600 mile ride, you can't make a better choice for the long run. Your best bet would be to see if you can rent, borrow or demo a wing there on the island before making your final decision for your trip here on the mainland. The only problem I see is that you might like it so much you won't have enough road on the islands to satisfy the need for a long ride! :D
Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Whacker

Thank you for passing on some great tips and advice. I will definetly check to see if they have any Goldwings to rent here in Honolulu. I found out the specific year/model I'll be renting on my trip. It will be a 2008 Goldwing 1800. Here's the route we'll be taking. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Nice trip you have put together dafrets. You should definitely try to ride one before you get to the mainland because as whacker said it is a lot of motorcycle however I don't think it will be an issue given you obviously ride now.

One thing you may want to consider is do a search on our threads for Tallman boots. There are a couple of vertically challenged guys here who swear by them & seems as though they may be a small investment for your trip cosidering the distance your traveling just to do it. Just one ole fossils opinion. By the way Welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
My wife and I are going to do a ride on a similar route to you.We will be coming from Australia.Also I have not rode a goldwing nor have I riden on the wrong side of the road.I have hired a car in the USA and had a good time there.The only thing that was a bit scary was the multi lanes and getting lose in your big cities.Our next trip in the USA will be with sat nav.I would like to hear how you get on and any hints you can give to make our trip easier.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
dafrets, I'm only 5' 6" on a good day, you won't have any trouble with a wing.;)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
dafrets the seat height on a Wing is 29", so you should be just fine once you get the feel for it. GL1800 weighs in at 907# for the full monty version, and slightly lower for less optioned models. The weight is low in the frame so they really handle well at low speeds, and while it won't challenge your FZ6 in the twisties, you'll be amazed at how capable there really are. Google search youtube for Goldwing Deals Gap and Goldwing track day and just see what a GL is capable of doing.
Eric, we ride on the "right" side of the road over here:D. Aussie scared the beeebers outa me in the first roundabout I encountered (Brisbane) in the campervan. Hit what I thought was the turn indicator stalk and the wipers came on, the turn was sharper than expected so all the dishes fell out of the cupboard, doggone near bounced over the curb, and my wife had the gall to yell at me. I know, shoulda been on a bike!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have it the other way, I grew up in England and then moved to France and the USA when I turned 25. That was 20 years ago and every time I go back to the UK I mess up the gear changes as I try to open the car door!! The gear stick is on the wrong side!!:rolleyes: You get into the flow of it quite quickly, but it can be difficult to judge how far you are out from the sidewalk for the first few days.. I am sure you will do fine and have a lot of fun..

Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts