Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,
I'll be riding the wing up thru quebec for a week in early July. I can't believe it but I can't seem to sort out a cellphone that'll work in US and Canada without getting a contract. I seldom use a cellphone but would like to have one for the trip. I normally use a pre-pay. Can anyone suggest a solution that doesn't entail signing a long contract with large monthly bill just to have a phone for a one week ride?

Thansk!
Chris

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Not sure but there could be short term prepaid cellular units available from AT&T, Bell, Telus etc that can work N/A wide. Just be sure that you know what the roaming charges can involve. Roaming charges never used to be much if anything at all, but on our trip to Florida in March the roaming fees for both our cell phones was almost *&^%#!! (colourful expletive deleted) $200! We used our phones maybe ten times; freaking ridiculous.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Budoka, did a bit of research and cheapest to just pick up a prepaid phone in canada, I can call the states with it, and far cheaper than all the other options. rates to us are 35 cents a minute but won't be using it that much.

Chris

Not sure but there could be short term prepaid cellular units available from AT&T, Bell, Telus etc that can work N/A wide. Just be sure that you know what the roaming charges can involve. Roaming charges never used to be much if anything at all, but on our trip to Florida in March the roaming fees for both our cell phones was almost *&^%#!! (colourful expletive deleted) $200! We used our phones maybe ten times; freaking ridiculous.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
That's great bullseye. There used to be 'cheater' cards you could fit to certain cell phones, but I haven't seen any for a couple years now. Are you touring through Quebec or do you have a specific destination in mind? Quebec City is beautiful in its own way, Montreal is nice but stupid busy, and the St Lawrence basin/lowlands are gorgeous (Drummondville, Sherbrooke etc). Montreal traffic is absolutley insane IMO, but then again I'm a wide open spaces Alberta guy; pretty much anything over 10,000 population is crackers in my books.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI Budoka,
Going to visit a friend for a couple days in montreal, then to quebec city, then going to do this route: http://www.quebecmaritime.ca/en/pla...e=www.motorcycle.com&utm_content=GaspesieTour

Then making my way back home via new brunswick, maine, down the east coast.

Chris

That's great bullseye. There used to be 'cheater' cards you could fit to certain cell phones, but I haven't seen any for a couple years now. Are you touring through Quebec or do you have a specific destination in mind? Quebec City is beautiful in its own way, Montreal is nice but stupid busy, and the St Lawrence basin/lowlands are gorgeous (Drummondville, Sherbrooke etc). Montreal traffic is absolutley insane IMO, but then again I'm a wide open spaces Alberta guy; pretty much anything over 10,000 population is crackers in my books.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
That looks like an fantastic trip, yer makin me jealous! If you're downtown Montreal, pop into Schwartz's Deli for their world famous smoked meat sandwich (just off St Lauent Blvd by Mont Royal), they are to die for. Never seen the Gaspe region, but have heard it's stunning. Can you say east coast lobster with drawn butter? Dang I'm hungry now. Have a great time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts