Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 350.00 to spend on helmets. Can I get a pair for this price that is safe? I really don't want to spend it all though so are there any that are safe at 100.00 a piece?

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I think that all depends on the type of helmet you choose, 1/2, 3/4 or full face. Myself, I wear a full face helmet and it cost me around 150.00. As long as the helmet is DOT certified and if somethings happens your insurance company will pay.
I like a full face helmet due to be adverse to sliding down the payment on my chin, even at slow speeds road rash can be terrible on the chin and face.

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan to just buy from a dealer. My wife needs to try them on first with her illness so if we find one for her I;m just buying it.

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
Fit is infinitely more important than the price tag. You can spend $1000 on a flashy new Shoei or Arai, and if it doesn't fit right, it may as well have been $60. For the money (and personal preference plays a part) HJC makes very good certified helmets, sometimes surpassing the higher end brands. Trying the helmets on is a must until you have enough first hand knowledge to purchase one online. All of us that do make purchases online need to remember that if everyone only buys online, there's no place to go try things out at. Double edged sword. I buy things myself online (Wingstuff, E-bay various vendors) and I'm a brick and mortar store (dealer) but I'm often pulling out of the hand that feeds me when I do.

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
Fit is infinitely more important than the price tag. You can spend $1000 on a flashy new Shoei or Arai, and if it doesn't fit right, it may as well have been $60. For the money (and personal preference plays a part) HJC makes very good certified helmets, sometimes surpassing the higher end brands. Trying the helmets on is a must until you have enough first hand knowledge to purchase one online. All of us that do make purchases online need to remember that if everyone only buys online, there's no place to go try things out at. Double edged sword. I buy things myself online (Wingstuff, E-bay various vendors) and I'm a brick and mortar store (dealer) but I'm often pulling out of the hand that feeds me when I do.
Budoka....I agree with you 100%....Here is what I do....I check out prices online & then go to my local vendor. If he/she can come close, even as close as up to $20.00 more than online, I buy from them. Keep it in the neighborhood so to speak. I even let them know that I'm giving them a shot at my business. Sometimes it works.....& sometimes it doesn't.

Mark

·
Registered
96 Posts
You might look for a large volume dealer that may have some discontinued models or odd colors that didnt sell well.

Just remember if its comfortable and falls apart on impact, is it worth wearing ? or, if its uncomfortable and you dont wear it, you have the same situation.

You can spend too much and have something, or spend too little and have nothing.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can see already its going to be a total pain in the arse to find my wife a helmet that fits. Her head is extremely narrow and extremely long. With her Fibro she can't take a lot of pressure on her temple. We went to 3 shops tonight but absolutely no luck at all. Darn I'm frustrated.

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
i wonder if riders discount has a retal store, their somewhere in michigan. i think near the west coast

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
I can see already its going to be a total pain in the arse to find my wife a helmet that fits. Her head is extremely narrow and extremely long. With her Fibro she can't take a lot of pressure on her temple. We went to 3 shops tonight but absolutely no luck at all. Darn I'm frustrated.
I think we have an extra full face helmet that Deb wore before I got her an HJC modular. I believe it's a woman's small, black in color and may say Harley Davidson on it and is in like new condition. It may or may not fit but you're welcome to it if you want to just pay shipping. I can mail to you tomorrow if you send me your address. Once you get it you can reimburse me for shipping. If it doesn't fit sell it or give it away. Anyway Doug, it's yours if you want it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think we have an extra full face helmet that Deb wore before I got her an HJC modular. I believe it's a woman's small, black in color and may say Harley Davidson on it and is in like new condition. It may or may not fit but you're welcome to it if you want to just pay shipping. I can mail to you tomorrow if you send me your address. Once you get it you can reimburse me for shipping. If it doesn't fit sell it or give it away. Anyway Doug, it's yours if you want it.
Thank you for the offer Dan but I know it won't even come close to fitting her. She has a narrow but deep head. Her old helmet is bigger than my XL already. The problem seems to be that most shops only carry the oval helmets so I'm going to call some manufactures today to see what we can do?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nohandles,
I think I may have the solution to your problem.I purchased a size large helmet on line and it was a little too small.I bought it as-is so I couldn't return it. I pulled the lining from the helmet to see what is was made of on the inside. It was just styrofoam. I took a steak knife and just pealed thin sections of the styrofoam off until it fit perfectly,then re-glued the lining in place. Did the same thing with my wifes helmet.

With a little patience I think you could make it work.
It sounds like it would be impossible for you to find something over the counter that will work so I hope this helps.
Mike

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nohandles,
I think I may have the solution to your problem.I purchased a size large helmet on line and it was a little too small.I bought it as-is so I couldn't return it. I pulled the lining from the helmet to see what is was made of on the inside. It was just styrofoam. I took a steak knife and just pealed thin sections of the styrofoam off until it fit perfectly,then re-glued the lining in place. Did the same thing with my wifes helmet.

With a little patience I think you could make it work.
It sounds like it would be impossible for you to find something over the counter that will work so I hope this helps.
Mike
Great idea Mike. I thought about using a ball peen hammer and just crushing the foam a little but I wasn't sure that was to good of an idea.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Great idea Mike. I thought about using a ball peen hammer and just crushing the foam a little but I wasn't sure that was to good of an idea.
Not sure I would go wacking the helmet with a hammer, but cutting away the foam could certainly work. Kind of like a custom fit....:)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the way home I bought a couple of HCI helmets for half price. Mine fits perfect. Hers needed some work so I made some templates of her head and used some carving chisels an sand paper to form the new shape. She loves it so far but I can adjust until its just right at this point. Now for those timing belts. :D

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
On the way home I bought a couple of HCI helmets for half price. Mine fits perfect. Hers needed some work so I made some templates of her head and used some carving chisels an sand paper to form the new shape. She loves it so far but I can adjust until its just right at this point. Now for those timing belts. :D
Hope you went easy on her head with those chisels Doug. Sorry, couldn't help myself. :p

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
It was tough, the Wing all to myself HUM? but I couldn't do it LOL!
Funny stuff. Btw, we dug around last night and never found the small black helmet but did find an XL blue full face helmet that I bought last year and only wore for a month.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Helmets are such a personal thing. A bad fit helmet = a really bad ride. I think this dilemma is solved though.
Thank you all for your help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts