Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Goldwing Community! :D

Hopefully my "new guy" post won't come off as too annoying.

My dad has a 2008 wing and rides with my mom. They've been talking about getting new helmets, but rarely buy anything for themselves. Being that they've done so much for me this past year (hard times), I'd like to "repay" them buy getting them both new lids.

They both really seem to like the Nolan helmets, my dad a 3/4 helmet, and my mom a modular. I've looked online and seem to have an idea for prices, which are lower than I expected. This is a good thing. :p

Thing is, I know he wants to get the com systems in them. Unfortunately, he seems to want to get the JVC brand systems installed in the helmets, and I'm not sure how compatible the Nolan helmets are with a different brand com system. For reference, he'll need a system with rider to rider, bike to rider (radio/CD player), CB, and GPS to rider (Zumo). No cell phone. Any help in this department would be appreciated as far as which system to get, and if they'll be easily installed in the Nolan Helmets.

I'm looking at the Nolan N42 for my dad, and the N102 or N103 for my mom. As far as sizing, I won't be buying the helmets until after I get their sizes. I figure I can surprise them Christmas morning with photos of the helmets, then get them fitted afterwords.

Cooincidentally, I'm looking at the N30 or N20 for myself, with leather goggles, for that old-time cafe look when I ride. But this thread isn't about me. :D

So, in conclusion, I would like:

-Advice/Info about JVC com systems fitting in Nolan helmets
-Advice/Info about popular choices for 3/4 and modular Nolan helmets among Goldwing riders.

Thank you much, and I look forward to the info. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Welcome to the board from Pa. If you want to adopt another parent, I could use a new helmet too..

·
Registered
14 Posts
We use the HJC Max Flip Front Helmets.
We have white ones with the J&M headsets in them for the Trike and red ones with Collett Comunicatores in them for our Snowmobiles.
Not real pricey and very comfy to wear.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We use the HJC module helmets, and the J&N intercom headsets. GREAT combo for the Wing. Stereo, CB, intercom........ we love them.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF tilt. i take it that mom and dad already have helmets so just look and see what size those helmets are then you can surprise them with the new helmets and not a picture. sorry i cant help with the communications device, my gf rides her own wing so i don't have to hear her

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bollocks! :mad:

Just talked to the folks tonight and kind of "steered" the conversation towards helmet talk. Out of the blue, dad said that they were thinking about new helmets, but not they're not sure. The ones they have are fine, and so they're not really worried about getting new ones, at least not for a few years. :( So there goes that idea.

Unfortunately, neither one of them are big on full gear. I'm an ATGATT rider, and have tried very hard to get them to protect themselves as much as they can. But dad's stubborn, and has been riding longer for longer than I have... so... there you have it. :p

I try not to push them too much, and they do listen, since they just bought new jackets last year.

Anyway, thanks for all the help folks. I'll mill around here and see if I can't dig up something else I could get them instead of helmets. Maybe I'll get them a couple Ducati shirts. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi TiltTheHorizon,
Just in case you go back to the helmet idea. I have a Nolan42 helmet and use a J&M headset HS-BCD257 in it without an issue. First time with a Nolan helmet and understand why your parents like them....comfortable!
ArnieM

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome tilt. How old are your parents current helmets. I know it is hard to give up a helmet that fits well, but I believe industry standard for helmet life is about 5 years. Most police departments that I know of replace helmets at 3 years.

What is the value of their heads?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts